The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a guitar made by a Canadian builder and would like some pick ups for it also from Canada. Looking I guess for vintage PAF sound that is good for blues that can also get some hard rock tones. Think of Slash on AFD but maybe a little less mud in it. Very hard to describe as I do not want his tone exactly but be able to get close if I choose. Like blues and blues influenced rock sound, although open to other styles but that is the base. Talked to a few winders already. Some short responses. I got a great reply from David at Sigil pickups. Good communication there. Let me know some great Canadian pickup makers and give these guys a shout out for their great work. Pleasantly surprised on how much Canadian talent there is in this market.

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,852 Posts
Reilander
MJS
Sigil
Soultone
Rainville
Vineham

Probably a few dozen more. That's just what I can think of off the top of my head.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
I am getting a guitar made by a Canadian builder and would like some pick ups for it also from Canada. Looking I guess for vintage PAF sound that is good for blues that can also get some hard rock tones. Think of Slash on AFD but maybe a little less mud in it. Very hard to describe as I do not want his tone exactly but be able to get close if I choose. Like blues and blues influenced rock sound, although open to other styles but that is the base. Talked to a few winders already. Some short responses. I got a great reply from David at Sigil pickups. Good communication there. Let me know some great Canadian pickup makers and give these guys a shout out for their great work. Pleasantly surprised on how much Canadian talent there is in this market.
Dave is a great person to deal with. I’ve bought a couple of sets of pickups from him. They were both exactly as he described them. I’m a very satisfied customer.

·
Premium Member
17,214 Posts
Well the AFD thing will also be owning some sort of older JCM800 esque amp, and cranking the hell out of it. If you're covered there (and running a gibson scale guitar) you'll happily find most PAFS probably do the job.

I have a set of J S Moore PAF pickups in a custom build and they scream. Unfortunately I don't know if he's still really in the business. I also have a set of vineham tele pickups about to go into an @Ayr Guitars build, based on recommendations of members here. I'll update once I have the guitar in hand. I can say that it was fast communication and shipping time with Vineham, which means I'll probably grab another pickup or two from him in future.

Reactions: ssdeluxe

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the AFD thing will also be owning some sort of older JCM800 esque amp, and cranking the hell out of it. If you're covered there (and running a gibson scale guitar) you'll happily find most PAFS probably do the job.

I have a set of J S Moore PAF pickups in a custom build and they scream. Unfortunately I don't know if he's still really in the business. I also have a set of vineham tele pickups about to go into an @Ayr Guitars build, based on recommendations of members here. I'll update once I have the guitar in hand. I can say that it was fast communication and shipping time with Vineham, which means I'll probably grab another pickup or two from him in future.
I have a Traynor yba1 mod 1. So I think I'm mostly there. Sent an email to Jon @ JS Moore and got a short response. Will try talking to him again. Just want a good conversation with the winder before going for it. It will be put in a Monty Bluemaster. Thanks Budda for the comment

·
Premium Member
'59 LP Junior & Danocaster T
889 Posts

I messaged Craig @ Vineham over Christmas about getting some pickups for my SG. He'll be winding again in February.

W.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Jon Moore is still in business, although my impression was that the amount of time that he devotes to winding varies based on his “day job” which is seasonal in nature.

·
Premium Member
17,214 Posts
Jon Moore is still in business, although my impression was that the amount of time that he devotes to winding varies based on his “day job” which is seasonal in nature.
I don't remember what I have (though my inbox might), but damn do they do their job.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
I have bought from MJS and Vineham and I'm extremely pleased with both.
Great communication with both and they each built exactly what I was after.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can't speak for the rest out of experience, but my set of Sigils shattered my expectations of pickups. Before I got them from @CheopisIV I didn't believe in the magic of high end pickups.
I've contacted Vineham, Sigil, JS Moore, MJS and Reilander. Only waiting for a response from one and hope to talk to them all again soon. Amazed and happy we have such a great selection here in our own backyard. I'm sure there are others out there and feel free to give them a shout out but I don't think I should need to contact any others. I'm sure Ill be happy with the result and will let you know when the Bluemaster is finished which pickups are in it. Will seek Brian's advice on the matter as well. Thanks all for the suggestions and feed back. Again feel free to give a shout out to these and other builders

·
Registered
204 Posts
Well, don't try to buy any pickups from that character we were discussing a few weeks ago, the one who took people's money and never delivered. Can't recall his name.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been looking for a nice set of single coils for my mim Strat. I was considering pickups from Ken rose in the states, but then thought I should look for a Canadian winder... The 67 cosmic blues from soultone caught my eye and the price is right. The short demo that he has on YouTube sounds very good to my ear especially the one with gain. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with soultone? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 44 Posts