The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a home-made (someone else's home) closed-back cabinet with a square 4" x 4" hole in the back. I am trying to find a jack plate to fit this hole. Ideally, it's a jack plate with 2 x 1/4" jacks or at least pre-drilled for 2 x 1/4" jacks, but considering how odd the hole size is, I'd pretty much settle for anything where I don't have fabricate the metal myself.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The hole is beautifully tolexed, so I am trying to find a jack mechanism that doesn't change it into something hacked. I might stop by Q Components tomorrow (a block from the office) and just pick that one up to see how it could be finagled in there (with the tolex overhead, the hole is actually just a little smaller that 4" on the side, so perhaps that will be enough overlap with that jack plate, @greco).

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
If the hole is nicely tolexed, take a spare pc of metal sheet, cut it to 5x5" and mount it from the inside of the cab (through the speaker hole if you have yo). Ideally seal it with caulk in addition to the screws.

.. oh sorry; I'm an echo

·
Premium Member
3,358 Posts
I have a home-made (someone else's home) closed-back cabinet with a square 4" x 4" hole in the back. I am trying to find a jack plate to fit this hole. Ideally, it's a jack plate with 2 x 1/4" jacks or at least pre-drilled for 2 x 1/4" jacks, but considering how odd the hole size is, I'd pretty much settle for anything where I don't have fabricate the metal myself.

Any ideas?
This is on Reverb.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could you reduce the size of the opening with some wooden strips, glue and screws and then use one of these?

McBride TC31 - Parts & Accessories|Connectors|Terminal Cups

Does the plate have to be recessed? You could just cut a piece of heavy plastic or masonite or something and attach it over the opening...which I'm sure you have already thought of...LOL
So I picked up this plate today and it is a bit small -- the bolt holes are in free air and you can see the hole in the corner gaps :-(

I think I am going to have to go with something like this and cutout a centre hole to mount this plate:

or

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Here's one on a home made cab. Got it in my odd metal parts bin. Came off an amp bowels or a tool of some kind and it had a nice ¼" hole in it. I made an opening accordingly to it's shape. Now that I look at it, it is so nice I should have put it in the front of the cab.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's pretty "industrial" :).

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I'll post a pic of my metal wallplate attempt when I try it.

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
you could use plexi, much easier to machine, a bit of caulking and screwed in from the inside
Alu sheet is easiest; you can cut it with scissors if it's the thin stuff from Home Despot. Plexi can crack when you cut or drill it; especially if you're not a paragon of patience. Also more expensive (can't be as thin).

·
Premium Member
18,694 Posts
If this fits over the opening OK
and
(mainly) if the screw holes don't have just air behind them
and
if you don't want it recessed...this is a very cool looking choice IMO.
Just drill 2 x 3/8" holes and you are good to go.

I admire your "thinking outside of the box"
(pun is totally intended...and took some to me to think of it...LOL)

Waiting for a pic of the completed "project".

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Plexi can crack when you cut or drill it; especially if you're not a paragon of patience. Also more expensive (can't be as thin).
Not plexi, but polycarbonate also known as Lexan. They make bullet proof windows with it. Get a scrap piece of 1/8" at your local glass or mirror shop. You can get it opaque white or black, or clear.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am actually leaning more towards the other one, with hole cut out in the middle to form a sort of an extension bracket for the jack-plate, the jack-plate mounted with metal screws to the wall-plate, and wall-plate mounted to back of cab over the existing hole with wood screws. The slightly protruding metal screws from jack-plate would form a guide to align the assembly into the existing hole. The wall-plate dimensions give about 1cm on each side of the existing hole. It would be better if the wall-plate was black, but this should be ok.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
That's pretty "industrial" :)
Well ... didn't you say you were looking for an odd plate ? It's in the back of the cab. you see it when you move the cab around, so for me, function is more important than looks.

By doing so, I recycled a piece of metal that won't go to the dump site and it is one less ore bucket extracted.

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Not plexi, but polycarbonate also known as Lexan. They make bullet proof windows with it. Get a scrap piece of 1/8" at your local glass or mirror shop. You can get it opaque white or black, or clear.
Interesting - but how easy does it cut if it's bulletproof?

If I can get it in the same sort of 'McCurdy' blue I might just give it a go to replace the plexi I used to rack up my vintage McCurdy modules... though white might be cool too.

On the right side, below the right speaker, immediately to the left of the monitor (I have 1 more now):

1 - 20 of 27 Posts