The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, started to amp hunt this past week... hesitated and missed out on a red stripe Peavey Studio 112... sigh.

Haven't used an amp in 20yrs, except a little with a Crate GX-15 that's well... lacking.

Looking at used amps... rather get a used good amp than a poorer amp at the same cost. Max $200CAD.

Any recommendations?

Bedroom amp, not gigging or anything. I like classic and hard rock, would like to get into learning blues. Looking for suggestions, because I live kinda far from anything, at least an hour drive from anything really, so, I try to research as much as I can online first, and hopefully not waste my time looking at stuff I probably won't like.

I was gung-ho about that Peavey, and missed it by a few hours... $100 mint. I do see an Valveking 112 just over an hour away within budget though... but am open to other brands. I was about to grab a Vox VT20+, but, in another forum I was in, the consensus was that it's a decent amp, but very beginners and nothing compared to the Peavey's mentioned.

Just looking for some opinions... advice... stuff I should maybe watch for as well on Kijiji. :)

Thanks

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Searched Kijiji... locally zilch... Ontario, 18 results but a lot of different versions/models... anything specific?

Though may not matter, only two under $200, and both 3-5 hours away. :S

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Some guys are pretty ga-ga over those Boss Katana amps. No idea how much they are used, as they're not something I'd buy (I'm set with the 4 amps I have).

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some guys are pretty ga-ga over those Boss Katana amps. No idea how much they are used, as they're not something I'd buy (I'm set with the 4 amps I have).
Haha, I see 4 ads... 2 people asking about $400, and 2 people looking for one cheap. :D

I always enjoy wanted ads looking for something for half what the asking price is.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roland Cubes look about the same size as my Crate GX-15, about the same options... would it be much better than what I have?

Can't be worse... I dislike mine. Nothing wrong really with it, just nothing good going for it either... except it was free.

Right now the ValveKing 112 is top of my list... trying to get a few bucks shaved off the price even though the asking price is pretty good.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Roland cubes are great. i went through lots of small at home amps and I found the orange 20RT to be the best of them all. great reverb, good cleans and excellent crunch to high gain.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts