The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm a new guitar player...really new, I started like 2 weeks ago. I borrowed an acoustic guitar from one of my friend but I would like to by my own electric guitar. The problem is that I really don't know what I should buy.

A lot of my friends told me to buy a cheap guitar to start and wait a while then buy a good one if I'm still playing, but I don't want to do that. I want to buy a cool guitar right now. I'll keep practicing with my friend's guitar for a while and if I keep playing guitar in a few months, I'll buy a good guitar.

Let say I want to pay around 1000$ for a guitar...what's the best guitar I can get for that price?

By the way, one of my friend has an Epiphone Slash Signature guitar that he could sell to me. Is that any good? How much should I offer him for that guitar?

He also has an amp for sale: a Marshall Valvstate 80
Is that any good? How much should I offer him for that?

Thanks!

Patrick

P.S.: Sorry for my poor english and sorry if I didn't post this in the right section!

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
hey gorrath.

for a thousand bucks i'd recommend a gently used fender usa strat. very versatile, good quality, good resale value if you don't stick with it. a pro guitar all the way.

the epiphone slash model is fine quality, you'll have a great guitar for the money, used prices seem to be hard to find. i'd guess $600 ish. the valvestate should be fine too, it's a solid state model? not terribly expensive, few hundred. if he's offering you the package for under a grand that sounds about right to me.

·
Registered
365 Posts
What kind of music do you usually play?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey gorrath.

for a thousand bucks i'd recommend a gently used fender usa strat. very versatile, good quality, good resale value if you don't stick with it. a pro guitar all the way.

the epiphone slash model is fine quality, you'll have a great guitar for the money, used prices seem to be hard to find. i'd guess $600 ish. the valvestate should be fine too, it's a solid state model? not terribly expensive, few hundred. if he's offering you the package for under a grand that sounds about right to me.
Thanks for the advice!

By the way, what's the big differences between a Strat and a Les Paul. My friend told me they don't have the same number of frets, they don't have the same weight, they don't sound the same but they're both very good. Is that true?

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
That one is the biggest debate and discussion topic in the history of guitar playing. They are essentially two different instruments in terms of body style, construction, wieght, necks, pick-ups, tone etc etc.

That comes down to personal choice in every respect. You will need to try out both guitars and go with what you feel suits you and the style of music you like to play. No advice in the world can help you on that one. Read through some of the posts here, there are many on the different types of guitars. You will learn a lot just from those posts. But then you need to get out and try these guitars before buying. At least in terms of feel and how you like the necks.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Damn...I knew it wouldn't be that easy to choose a guitar! lol
It'll get insanely easy once you get playing.

The advice about getting a cheap guitar to start is actually a very good tip. See, you spend enough time on that you'll:

1 - get enough experience to know what you like about the guitar you're currently playing, as well as what you dislike... makes the thought process a lot smaller when you go to get your next guitar (oh, there will be A LOT more lol)

2 - you'll gain playing experience which will help build the confidence to play infront of people in the store while trying out new guitars... this way you won't make the mistake of buying a guitar without playing it first

$1000 on a first guitar is well... ridiculous IMO. You don't know if you're going to stick with it (you can say you WILL... everyone does... but it's not a hobby for everyone).

As for the Valvestate... it's an OK beginner amp, the tones are a bit harsh to the ear though (much like the MG series). You'll realize this once you play other amps. The latest releases in the Valvestate series (AVTX) doesn't have the harshness.

I say go for like an Epiphone Les Paul Special and some sort of 15 watt amp and SEE if it's something you want to stick with. This way you're not out too much cash if you don't, and if you do you gain the experience as I stated above.

Atleast to me, that's the logical solution...

Difference between the Strat and the Les Paul... oh dear God... lol. You could virtually go on for days... but in the end, there's no 'rules' set in stone. They're 2 completely different beasts with 2 completely different tones.

The typical consensus is that Les Pauls have 'fatter' tones where Strats have thinner... but it's not always the case. You can get Strats with humbuckers these days which will help produce fatter tones. The whole thing depends on the entire rig you're playing through as well as the construction and electronics you have in the instrument.

Lol... this hobby can get complicated. Don't even worry about this shit yet, the most important thing is to get playing!

You said you want to play metal, buying a guitar with humbuckers is a good start.

I

·
0 Posts
Damn...I knew it wouldn't be that easy to choose a guitar! lol
If it was easy it wouldn't be fun. :)

Enjoy playing as many guitars as you can get your hands on. At the $1k price point there's lots of choice. Especially if you look at the used market. For metal you may want to try some of the fixed bridge Schecters. There's a PRS SE specifically aimed at metal players, the Paul Allendar (sp?) model I think it was. That'd be a solid little guitar.

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
here's what you do:

go play a ton of guitars at every store in a 2 hour radius. yes, a 2 hour radius - you want some variety and some bargaining room!

write a list of which guitars you did and didnt like. i suggest these models to try out:
schecter C-1 blackjack
C-1 classic
epiphone les paul standard
epiphone SG standard
fender standard (MIM) strat
fender standard telecaster
jay turser strat copy
yamaha pacifica 112

try these amps:
marshall MG15
peavey rage 158 (i'd get one again myself)
roland cube 30
behringer GMX
tech 21 trademark 30 if you can find one

see what you do and dont like. i wouldnt spend mre than maybe $300 on the guitar and another $200-$300 on the amp. how can you achieve this, you ask? you buy used. a used les paul standard goes for around $350 i think, depending on age and condition.

also bring an EXPERIENCED friend with you (ie someone who knows what action is, what a bad fret job looks like, etc) who can check over the guitar to make sure it doesnt have any major issues. if a nice guitar has a paint chip or something, that's a point you can argue to get a lower price (if you're going new).

are you planning on taking lessons? its a great idea!

·
Premium Member
16,517 Posts
I suggest you don't take any advice on brands to buy.

I look at the lists people have suggested and instantly know that most of the guitar models suggested would not make my list.

It's a matter of taste.

I do agree that $1000. will buy you a hell of a guitar.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
First off, I have to disagree with the thought that your friends gear (while it would make a nice starter package) is worth your $1000. The max I'd pay for a used Epiphone Les Paul of any type (except the elitist series) is $600. The max for that amp is $200. Buying from a friend, I'd say $600 for the entire package is fair.

now for general buying advice.

Used vs. New

Used - You will get a better price used and will get more for your money. And if you back out of playing guitar it will be way easier to get the same money back selling your gear that put in for buying it. But there is the fear of buying someone elses problems and having no recourse.

New - you get a warranty and start building a relationship with your local guitar store, but down the road when you sell your gear (whether its because you stop playing or get better and want to buy better gear) there is a good chance you will only get about half of what you paid in the first place.

My advice : If you have a friend who knows how to check for issues on a guitar and amp, buy used. You will get way more for your money and way more back if you ever sell. But if you don't have someone you can trust, you are better off going to a store that will want to help you make a smart decision and will set up your new guitar for you and provide you with a warranty should any problems occur.

Amp questions
There are many : Tube vs. Solid State? Digital modelling yes vs. no? but the big question is big vs. small.

If you are only going to be learning at home, any amp up to 15w will be fine. If you want to buy something that you can play with a drummer, you will need to get a bigger amp. I prefer the sound of tube amps and you will probably buy one down the line, but you may be better off with a solid state amp to start. Much less to maintain and figure out and they are usually lighter and more manageable. A digital modelling amp like the ones from Line 6 is also good for a beginner. You get the chance to hear what many different amps sound like and it will help you realize what kind of amp you want after you get good and want to upgrade.

Strat vs. Les Paul
Most metal players will use a guitar with humbuckers (like a Les Paul) but there are no hard and fast rules and you can get strats with humbuckers easily these days. You need to play both and see which one speaks to you. I find when most people starting out do well when they look at the guitarists whose tone they like and see what they play. In the long run, you will figure out what speaks most to you, but when you're learning its always nice to be able to mimic the tones of your heros. Check out www.guitargeek.com to see who plays what.

My biggest advice will be to spend the least you can to get in and get something that works for you. Save as much of that money as you can for when you develop a better idea of what works for you and what doesn't.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Power Metal
Progressive Metal
Some other kind of metal

Actually, that's what I"m "trying" to play lol

Gorrath,

For your first guitar and based on your musical taste, I would suggest getting a second hand Ibanez RG series (or similar) guitar. Look in shops, Craiglist and even eBay if it's local. The reason why I recommend Ibanez/similar type of guitars is because they are easy guitars to play and will get you in the 'metal zone' pretty quick without having to modify the guitar and the guitar will be a good one to learn on - very fast necks.

You can probably get one for around $300-$400.

djem

I

·
0 Posts
Used - You will get a better price used and will get more for your money. And if you back out of playing guitar it will be way easier to get the same money back selling your gear that put in for buying it. But there is the fear of buying someone elses problems and having no recourse.

New - you get a warranty and start building a relationship with your local guitar store, but down the road when you sell your gear (whether its because you stop playing or get better and want to buy better gear) there is a good chance you will only get about half of what you paid in the first place.
All good points, but don't forget: you can buy used from a store and combine the benefits of both your statements. You get a better price on a higher quality instrument. You get to start a relationship with a local shop (which I'd say is probably only important if it's a smaller store with a loyal staff). And you can get a warranty, or at least a good return-for-credit policy. And shops won't sell you used gear that's got problems (at least not the reputable shops).

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
All good points, but don't forget: you can buy used from a store and combine the benefits of both your statements. You get a better price on a higher quality instrument. You get to start a relationship with a local shop (which I'd say is probably only important if it's a smaller store with a loyal staff). And you can get a warranty, or at least a good return-for-credit policy. And shops won't sell you used gear that's got problems (at least not the reputable shops).
Very true. Also when I was starting out I felt more comfortable trying out the old guitars that already had a few dings in the USED store over the shiny new ones that I was afraid of damaging in the NEW store.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Gorrath,

For your first guitar and based on your musical taste, I would suggest getting a second hand Ibanez RG series (or similar) guitar. Look in shops, Craiglist and even eBay if it's local. The reason why I recommend Ibanez/similar type of guitars is because they are easy guitars to play and will get you in the 'metal zone' pretty quick without having to modify the guitar and the guitar will be a good one to learn on - very fast necks.

You can probably get one for around $300-$400.

djem
+1 to that
And I'd recommend to get the best guitar possible with the money you have . If you buy a cheap guitar , and the frets buzz , the action is high , the tuners won't keep it in tune , etc... then it's 100% sure you'll give up .

Ibanez , jackson , shecter , esp , bc rich , washburn all make great guitars in your price range , especialy used . The things you should be looking for are
24 frets if possible , at least 22
Humbuckers are a must
Hardtail would be easier to setup yourself than a floyd rose , and you can drop tuning easily
Highest frets accessibility ( really not the best on a les paul , and most bolt-on neck can be a bit of a problem too)
Traditional body style is usually a lot more comfortable when you play sitting down .

As for the amp , you can probably get a better amp if you buy something small , or a bigger but cheaper amp... It depends if you'Re playing on you own or with a band . If possible , a built in tuner is really practical , and you'll get the habit of always tuning before playing(which is a good thing )

If you can find something like that used
http://www.stevesmusic.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_20&products_id=1377

That would probably suit the kind of music you want to play .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WOW!

I wasn't expecting that much answers! Seems like a busy forum :)

I still have a few questions:

-What the hell is a humbucker? lol

-Some of you told me to get a 15W amp...sounds like something really weak! lol
I don't think I'll ever play in a band so I understand I don't need something really big...but 15W seems really low. Does the 80 in the Valvstate 80 of my friend means 80W ?? Is amp is not that big and seems ok...so I can't imagine buying something 5 times less powerful! But then, maybe the 80 doesn't mean that at all! lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I suggest you don't take any advice on brands to buy.

I look at the lists people have suggested and instantly know that most of the guitar models suggested would not make my list.

It's a matter of taste.

I do agree that $1000. will buy you a hell of a guitar.
Ok...maybe I shoulk ask if there is anything I should not buy?
Is there any brands that are really not good? Or some brands that are way too expensive for the quality they have, etc?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yes , the 80 is 80 watts , but 15 watt will still be "too loud" for an appartment . If you plan to play with a band , it's not enough , but if you're playing alone , even a 5watt amp would be enough .Also , it take 10 times the wattage to have twice the perceived volume , so 15 watt will be more than half as loud as 80 .

A humbucker is a pickup with two coils . It has more output , and is a lot less noisy when you're using a lot of distortion .

1 - 20 of 65 Posts