The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been finding my self looking at acoustics recently . Specifically grand concert ,Grand auditorium,and jumbos . But I'm limited on cash at most times,like a student budget . Over the years i have learnt i like the sounds of maple and rosewood for back and sides the most. I cant stand the sound of Sapele for back and sibes .I also found out i hate a radius bigger(flatter) than 12"radius. I also cant stand a radius smaller(rounder) than 9.5" radius . Any thing from the meduim to a thick neck is good. I have a telly that has a .99" thick neck i like it but it would be better with the 12" radius over the 9.5" radius . The most comfortable neck on a acoustic i played was a 32 gibson charly christian. So i guess the question is what is out there in a students price range that fits what im looking for . I know brands do not really matter as you can find a diamond from any company and a clump of coal from the best names out there. O i was extreamly disappointed to find out guilds mini jumbo is the size of the taylor gs mini. I love the size and sound of my seagull mini jumbo but i dont really like the width and flatness of the neck. If i was to find something to replace it , it would be going to my mom and my sister. I played a martin GPCRSG the other day for almost three hours i absolutely love it. It had mutenye back and sides but at 1900cad after taxes was out of my price range

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If i was to go with yamaha it would be one of these three
i found this neat prs too

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
note : The more I was writing in this note, the less I knew if I would help. Sorry...

Well, You put the specs quite clearly. First step well done !

In respect of your budget you should look at used guitars. Used Martin GPCPA4, maybe ?
In fact, the way you came to what you are looking for shows you can shop in the used world.

But did you think about nut width ? Most builders make less than 1 3/4 inches.

About neck radius, I think 12 inches is the roundest neck you can find amongst acoustics.

Talking about body sizes, I understand you are opened to most of them, from GA to Jumbo.
You face the fact that major builders (see Martin, Gibson and Taylor) have their own classification.

Talking about back and sides woods, solid Rosewood would most probably not fit in your budget.
Maple, at Godin, could probably do it.
Did you think about Mahogany ?

A big Mahogany back or a medium Rosewood back ?
Well, bracing matters as much as body size and woods. You have to play them to make your own mind.

I bought two nice solid wood guitars last summer, but these are not Maple or Rosewood.
A Seagull Performer and an Eastman AC122ce : you should look at them.

I will not talk about brands : big names are budget eaters.

Hope it helps you anyway.
Good luck and tell us where you go... ;-)

Add on : Yeah ! These fine Yamahas... I once owned a nice LS-16...
But you should look for opinions on Tundra Music on this forum...

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
note : The more I was writing in this note, the less I knew if I would help. Sorry...

Well, You put the specs quite clearly. First step well done !

In respect of your budget you should look at used guitars. Used Martin GPCPA4, maybe ?
In fact, the way you came to what you are looking for shows you can shop in the used world.

But did you think about nut width ? Most builders make less than 1 3/4 inches.

About neck radius, I think 12 inches is the roundest neck you can find amongst acoustics.

Talking about body sizes, I understand you are opened to most of them, from GA to Jumbo.
You face the fact that major builders (see Martin, Gibson and Taylor) have their own classification.

Talking about back and sides woods, solid Rosewood would most probably not fit in your budget.
Maple, at Godin, could probably do it.
Did you think about Mahogany ?

A big Mahogany back or a medium Rosewood back ?
Well, bracing matters as much as body size and woods. You have to play them to make your own mind.

I bought two nice solid wood guitars last summer, but these are not Maple or Rosewood.
A Seagull Performer and an Eastman AC122ce : you should look at them.

I will not talk about brands : big names are budget eaters.

Hope it helps you anyway.
Good luck and tell us where you go... ;-)

Add on : Yeah ! These fine Yamahas... I once owned a nice LS-16...
But you should look for opinions on Tundra Music on this forum...
I havent thought about nut with. I will have to do a liitle work to find out what i like and dont like. Mahogany is all right but there is also alot more that goes into making the sound of a acoustic . Bracing ,arch ,flat ect . And your post is useful pointed out some useful tips i never thought of

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
I have found the best way to look for an acoustic is to start by not being particular about any wood the guitar is made from. The reason is, design has as much or more how it sounds that the material it is made from.

i.e. I was looking for a nice 12 string last year and had I not found a really nice Lowden, wouldn't have bought the Seagull, which I thought prematurely was a middle of the road offering. After playing one, I would recommend it to anyone looking for that chimey 12 string sound.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually tried a yamaha lj6. It was $479
. And i did not like it . I like my seagull far better. But that washburn wcg10 really felt really nice to play and sounded great for $599

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I am glad you are still looking for the good one.

As I said I once had a Yamaha LS-16 ARE. I liked it but finally got tired of that so clear sound. Tried a Brand new LL-16 ARE hoping that dreadnough would sound more bassy : it did to some extent but not that much and the one I tried, though in tune, did not sound good to my ears. I tried it on two different days and did not like it at all.

The 6 series is built in China. The 26 series are made in Japan, but more expensive.

Someone else talked about Recording King. The R-OH model once attracted me, but I could not try any and the Alvarez fell in my hands at that very moment.

Another problem with acoustics is that, for example, two Gibson J-45 made the same days will not sound exactly the same. Such is life !

So the rule, as you know, is search, try, try and yes, try... ;-)

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am glad you are still looking for the good one.

As I said I once had a Yamaha LS-16 ARE. I liked it but finally got tired of that so clear sound. Tried a Brand new LL-16 ARE hoping that dreadnough would sound more bassy : it did to some extent but not that much and the one I tried, though in tune, did not sound good to my ears. I tried it on two different days and did not like it at all.

The 6 series is built in China. The 26 series are made in Japan, but more expensive.

Someone else talked about Recording King. The R-OH model once attracted me, but I could not try any and the Alvarez fell in my hands at that very moment.

Another problem with acoustics is that, for example, two Gibson J-45 made the same days will not sound exactly the same. Such is life !

So the rule, as you know, is search, try, try and yes, try... ;-)
I played a lagg and recording king years ago . Both great budget guitars but i had no cash. But again same as the sigma im not dropping cash on something i haven't played. Because like you said from guitar to guitar they can sound diffrent . I dont plan on buying one till march so i have some time to try out different guitars

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
The thought of someone seriously considering a Washburn a few years ago would have gotten some chuckles from those in the acoustic know. That is no longer the case. Washburn has upped their quality as of late and has some very credible units out there. Ibanez is another one but it's hard to find them in many places in Canada.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Was offered this for $1500 . Yes its more than i have at the moment. Does any one know anything i should look out for on the 2003/4 gibson l-4a rosewood. Is $1500 a good price to too much.

·
Registered
18,577 Posts

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kenny is the fella that owns the Gibson sent more photos. I always thought his was rosewood but his is maple back and sides. Making it first year production 03 because in 04 they went to rosewood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
A long while ago I had a spruce/maple Washburn Cumberland jumbo. Thing was great for 400$ used, but I was in the trading phase and swapped it for something. I’ve never seen one since

1 - 20 of 36 Posts