The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this posted elsewhere and thought I would repost it here. I've often wondered about this so his results were quite interesting to me. Your thoughts or similar experiences?

"This weekend I played a high end guitar at a shop and thought...holy cow, this guitar is incredible. I told the person I was going home to get my checkbook.

So I went home and got my checkbook out of my desk. Before I left I decided well let’s take my guitar and compare, just in case. But the way that guitar sounded, I knew I would be writing a check. The guitar I was bringing was great, but this is a level above.

Finally got back to the shop and played it again. Man!!! What a tone! Shop owners words were, “she’s special huh!” “Absolutely”, I replied. Well, let’s see how mine sounds. So I opened my case and played MY guitar. Expecting to hear a nice tone, but not the amazing dynamics of the shop guitar. I thought....is this my guitar? My guitar sounds incredible too. I looked at him. Expecting him to say...yeah our guitar sounds much better. But he didn’t. I told him I was shocked I always love the tone of my guitar but I couldn’t believe that it sounds this rich here and that I thought before I got my guitar that his guitar sounded different than anything I’ve ever played. But they are very similar. The shop add beautiful wood floors I think it just made everything shimmer.

I knew right then I wasn’t going to be writing a check and I felt kind of guilty but surprisingly he said if I were you I don’t see that much difference. The moral of the story always take your guitar and do a direct comparison because room dynamics can make a tremendous difference."

Reactions: Dorian2

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I had the opposite experience.

When looking for a new acoustic I took my old Yamaha FG441s in for comparison.

It sounded horrible. Just awful.

Strange how our ears can get used to something.

I still love playing it and it's my go to home guitar as it's so comfortable to play after all these years.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
While contemplating the purchase of a D-28 Authentic 1941 I took my HD28-V to 12th fret to compare. The HD-28V is a pretty high end guitar as well but the Authentic is quite a ways above.
The sound comparison though, had my HD-28V pretty close. Better in some respects not is good in others. In the end it was subtle differences in tone woods and bracing.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
I saw this posted elsewhere and thought I would repost it here. I've often wondered about this so his results were quite interesting to me. Your thoughts or similar experiences?

"This weekend I played a high end guitar at a shop and thought...holy cow, this guitar is incredible. I told the person I was going home to get my checkbook.

So I went home and got my checkbook out of my desk. Before I left I decided well let’s take my guitar and compare, just in case. But the way that guitar sounded, I knew I would be writing a check. The guitar I was bringing was great, but this is a level above.

Finally got back to the shop and played it again. Man!!! What a tone! Shop owners words were, “she’s special huh!” “Absolutely”, I replied. Well, let’s see how mine sounds. So I opened my case and played MY guitar. Expecting to hear a nice tone, but not the amazing dynamics of the shop guitar. I thought....is this my guitar? My guitar sounds incredible too. I looked at him. Expecting him to say...yeah our guitar sounds much better. But he didn’t. I told him I was shocked I always love the tone of my guitar but I couldn’t believe that it sounds this rich here and that I thought before I got my guitar that his guitar sounded different than anything I’ve ever played. But they are very similar. The shop add beautiful wood floors I think it just made everything shimmer.

I knew right then I wasn’t going to be writing a check and I felt kind of guilty but surprisingly he said if I were you I don’t see that much difference. The moral of the story always take your guitar and do a direct comparison because room dynamics can make a tremendous difference."
This is a clear case of a home studio badly in need of some upgrades

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Guitars sound different. Whether you prefer the sound of one over the other is another story. Better is in the ear of the beholder.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Well, I recently decided to let go some on my axes, those I play less.
But I also tried some prospects at the local store... and was not sure...
In the meanwhile, I realized I need a cutaway !
I will definitely have to bring mine to the boutique though. ;-)

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Good idea not to evaluate a guitar in an area where you are surrounded by other guitars....all those sympathetic strings and bodies can affect / enrich the sound you hear

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good idea not to evaluate a guitar in an area where you are surrounded by other guitars....all those sympathetic strings and bodies can affect / enrich the sound you hear
That's a good point. However, when you are comparing guitars, you have them both in the same area, subject to the same positive or negative effects.

Reactions: mawmow and Dorian2

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Great thread. You still need to consider the age factor of your guitar compared to a brand new one though. Along with it being setup properly of course. I'd also take inflation of the Canadian dollar into account. My $350 S6 in 1991 is now equivalent to a $633 acoustic in 2018. So I'm thinking that you have to use today's prices as the base for the comparison with at least the price.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great thread. You still need to consider the age factor of your guitar compared to a brand new one though. Along with it being setup properly of course. I'd also take inflation of the Canadian dollar into account. My $350 S6 in 1991 is now equivalent to a $633 acoustic in 2018. So I'm thinking that you have to use today's prices as the base for the comparison with at least the price.
Yes, that is a point to consider as well. Older guitars have an advantage there.

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
Whenever I think that I found another great acoustic, it only takes a few seconds of playing on my 1984 K. Yairi AR377E, to get me to blurt out “WHAT WAS I THINKING?”.

The K Yairi just sounds so open, full, ringing with acoustic breath, and the strings are at least a year old. I am not very good at keeping up with string changes on my acoustics. It has a smaller body that just fits my larger body so well, a decent neck, and has a voice that makes you notice.
Guitar String instrument Musical instrument String instrument Plucked string instruments

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whenever I think that I found another great acoustic, it only takes a few seconds of playing on my 1984 K. Yairi AR377E, to get me to blurt out “WHAT WAS I THINKING?”.

The K Yairi just sounds so open, full, ringing with acoustic breath, and the strings are at least a year old. I am not very good at keeping up with string changes on my acoustics. It has a smaller body that just fits my larger body so well, a decent neck, and has a voice that makes you notice.
View attachment 181489
It doesn't hurt when you have a Lamborghini of a guitar like yours, either. I have an Alvarez Masterworks and it is one fine guitar but the Yairi's are quite a bit beyond those IMHO. However, if you ever do tire of it, PM me.:)

Reactions: Tone Chaser

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
@Steadfastly, I have only seen one other guitar like my model of K.Yairi. I stumbled upon it in 1985 while picking up my 1973 Yamaha SA60 from my luthier at that time. There were a couple of Nashville musicians at the shop going nuts through the acoustic guitar racks. They both kept coming back to this K. Yairi, commenting, raving, how this one had something special about it.

I had a 1978 Japanese Epiphone acoustic at the shop that was supposed to get a nice pickup installed into it. While the guys were still going nuts over the K. Yairi, I traded in my Epiphone and wrote a cheque for the difference in price of the K. Yairi. I didn’t even play it until I got home with it. Those guys made it sound like the most awesome acoustic. I still think they were right.

·
Registered
501 Posts
... 1984 K. Yairi AR377E ...
Could you please tell me what case you found for yours? Mine came with a soft gig bag. The knobs make it difficult to fit.

+1 They're exceptional (sounding/playing) guitars. The thin body makes them very comfortable to play, and the necks are truly amazing.

Jmo.

Reactions: Morkolo

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It looks like yours is a dreadnought size so any hard case made for a dreadnought size guitar will work. Soft gig bags are a problem fitting in the tuners sometimes.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Is it a case or a... super motorcycle behind the axes ? :)))

·
Premium Member
11,674 Posts
A 1995 Marc Beneteau is the guitar that changed my hearing and became the standard by which I judge other guitars. I think of it as my cold dead hands guitar.

Dog breed Labrador retriever Canidae Guitar Dog Guitar String instrument Musical instrument Plucked string instruments String instrument String instrument Musical instrument String instrument Guitar Plucked string instruments Fish

I don't find better guitars, but I do find equal, different, and desirable guitars. The trick for me is to not be fooled into thinking the grass is greener. Someday I would like a good 1958 (my birth year) Martin D-18, but I will be surprised if anything will sound markedly better to my ears than my favourite acoustic. Different, not necessarily better. In recent years I've also taken a genuine interest in mahogany top guitars as well so it would be kind of pointless to take a spruce and rosewood guitar to compare. I tend to like a variety and rarely have two acoustics of the same woods. (I did have a second 6 string spruce/rosewood Beneteau but sold it as it wasn't getting played. My 12 string is spruce/rosewood, but you can't consider 6 and 12 equals.) Comparing guitars of different woods to determine quality doesn't work in my mind.

It's very difficult to compare guitar tones by memory alone, and room acoustics, sympathetic strings from other instruments, ambient noise, nerves, and other things can figure into our hearing. Regardless, I'm arrogant enough to believe I can reliably discern what I like.

·
Registered
501 Posts
It looks like yours is a dreadnought size so any hard case made for a dreadnought size guitar will work. Soft gig bags are a problem fitting in the tuners sometimes.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Quintessential dread' case (640) and the lid won't close.

It fit in the original 1978 Yam' L series case, because it had similarly positioned knobs, but I let that go with the guitar.

And the 377 is only about half as deep as a dread', so even if it fits into it, the fitment would be sloppy & tend to focus stress at the neck joint imo.

Fits into a Gibson Jumbo case, but I don't want the Yairi to have to slum it. :cool:

Reactions: Steadfastly
1 - 20 of 23 Posts