The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was looking at a couple of R8 and R9s in a L&M.

I don't bother explaining my experience with guitars to salesmen. I just ask to see certain guitars on the wall and let them talk.

The guy told me about long/short tenons (without explaining what that is) and the neck history of late 50s Les Pauls.

But I'm amazed at how often really expensive guitars aren't in great selling condition. The R9 was $5800 and played so poorly because of lack of maintenance. The action was fine but the strings had gone to that dull, been on there a long time colour and the frets were getting a slightly corroded discolouration.

Obviously it's impractical for staff to regularly change strings on guitars in stores but I find it surprising that there's no general maintenance occasionally done --- wiping the guitars down or oiling the fretboard. Especially on the expensive guitars!

It's hard to really get the feel of a guitar when it's not at its best playability.

Anyone else ever notice this in stores?

·
Registered
12,115 Posts
It would make sense for them to maintain the higher end guitars.
What's the cost of a set of strings every month or so and a clean up if it sells a $5-6000 guitar?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wasn't keen on the feel of the necks of the R8 or R9 and the guy gave me a used R7 to try (I've never actually tried an R7) and that neck was way too big for my liking.

That, and the fact the tops didn't grab me, was the reason for me not inquiring about newer strings.

·
Registered
12,115 Posts
I wasn't keen on the feel of the necks of the R8 or R9 and the guy gave me a used R7 to try (I've never actually tried an R7) and that neck was way too big for my liking.

That, and the fact the tops didn't grab me, was the reason for me not inquiring about newer strings.
Are you looking for something slimmer yet? An R0 may work then.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've always thought this too, and not even just for the expensive guitars, it should be done to every guitar. Over all I would say there's a lot of players at all levels out there who don't really know that guitars can be setup to their liking. And given that it only takes a couple minutes to get something within reason, it just doesn't make sense not to.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I don't bother explaining my experience with guitars to salesmen. I just ask to see certain guitars on the wall and let them talk.

The guy told me about long/short tenons (without explaining what that is) and the neck history of late 50s Les Pauls.
I was at a store this past week (not L&M) and asked about the differences between 3 LPs they had on the wall: a Standard, Traditional & Classic T gold top. The answer I rec'd was that "the Standard has PAF pickups, the Classic T has AlNiCo pickups like Slash and the Traditional was made the way they used to make them". Thanks.

To quote my late, ex-father-in-law*, "The more you buy the more you save. I don't buy so I don't save. Bye bye".

*Never sure what to call him, the cancer got him while we were separated but still legally married.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you looking for something slimmer yet? An R0 may work then.
I am a fan of shallower necks --- most of my guitars have them. The real '58 and '59 I get to play a handful of times per year actually have better feeling necks (IMO) than the reissues I played yesterday. Granted, they are worn a bit, and therefore slightly less deep than they would have been originally.

I could probably get used to a neck that is .88 or so at the first fret but my preference is the low .80s" like mine and a few other Custom Shop Lps I've played.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was at a store this past week (not L&M) and asked about the differences between 3 LPs they had on the wall: a Standard, Traditional & Classic T gold top. The answer I rec'd was that "the Standard has PAF pickups, the Classic T has AlNiCo pickups like Slash and the Traditional was made the way they used to make them". Thanks.
I think many sales people are keen but sometimes aren't all that careful in what they say. When I was younger and working in a store (not a music store), on the first day the owner said to me "Never make anything up and if you don't know, say so and go find out because you never know who you're talking to."

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I think many sales people are keen but sometimes aren't all that careful in what they say. When I was younger and working in a store (not a music store), on the first day the owner said to me "Never make anything up and if you don't know, say so and go find out because you never know who you're talking to."
Agreed. I've worked in sales for ~30 years starting with retail when I was in high school. Looking back at my first "real" sales job, many of the questions I rec'd were actually tests of my honesty & diligence. Although the client already knew the answer, they didn't expect that a rookie rep would. They wanted to ascertain whether or not I would try to B.S. them or admit that I didn't know, do the research & follow up in a timely manner.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can remember answering some questions for a guy one day and something made me suspicious. Finally I asked him, in a careful, humorous way --- you're a (company name) spy aren't you?

Yep, he was and was checking out our store.

·
Premium Member
17,384 Posts
I always tell staff if a guitar i tried needs a restring, or if something isnt working right.

Reactions: bigboki

·
Registered
735 Posts
Trying out guitars at Folkway in Waterloo is awesome because of how well they’ve got everything set up and maintained. A real pleasure.

·
Registered
281 Posts
It's probably not cost effective to have minimum wage disgruntled employees handling guitars worth 3-5k. Shit happens. You get them to deal with the insurance returns etc, hammer in hand off to the dumpster. If I see a defect in a 5k guitar, I'mma want a deal! I'm pretty sure any retailer worth a damn would be willing to give a high end guitar a set up and fresh strings for a potential buyer to make his / her mind up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts