The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here my New Amp/ New Cab day story: About a month ago, i've been on the hunt of a Marshall JMP/JCM 2204 Master lead or a Tophat Emplexador for awhile and i did a WTB thread on the forum as i've always had great experience with you guys and i am still convinced that this is the best forum on the net and that you are the best forummates ever!
To make a long story short, i've recieved alot of nice offers and my heart stopped on a 1989 JCM800 2204 Master Canadian model from Pat(pckpat) at a very reasonnable price, so i grabbed it.
I previously owned a nice Marshall DSL50 that miss me(how theses amps sounds so good, except for the frikin' reverb that makes alot of rattle noises when the amp is pushed) and i was playing it throught a Mesa Horizontal rectifier 2x12 cabinet loaded with Vintage 30's. With the DSL, the Mesa was the perfect match, but it sounds so boxy and compressed in a bad way with the 800...I can't explain why, but i had to find a cab that would suits the 2204 like a glove.I've owned a 1936 2x12 loaded with Greenbacks many years ago and i really loved it with my lunchboxes(Tiny Terror, Egnater Rebel 20 and Blackstar Studio 20, all gone) so i went on the hunt for one!
About two weeks ago,i grabbed a mint 1936 unloaded on local kijiji for almost nothing(considering the prices theses days) and loaded it with a pair of old Greebacks that were sittting in my locker...Wow, the Greenbacks are really a perfect match for natural, woody Low to mid gain Marshall tone. Despite the 2x12 size of the 1936, this cab is surprisingly light, but, i wanted to have a more portable option for future gigs to come, so, yesterday, i came back home with a old 1x12 Marshall cab loaded with a G12T75 speaker. I don't know the model nor the year of the cab as there's no stamps, sticker or plate on it to reveal details, but it looks old and it rocks...Over that, the G12T75 is stunning, i really dig it!!!!
Finally, i really dig the new to me Marshall rig and i think that i will replace the two old Greenbacks in my 1936 for a pair of Creambacks(M65 and H75) to be sure that they will take the power without assle and the risk to break one. For now, i am not pushing the amp over 4-4.5 so i'll not damage the Greenies. Keep an eye open if you are on the hunt for great sounding Greenbacks, they will probably be on the for sale section soon!
Sorry for the long text, here the pictures!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
JCM800 into a 1936 is a really solid combo! I used to go JTM45 into a 1936 and I loved the size of the sound of the 2x12 compared to smaller cabs, but appreciated not having to lug a 4x12 around!

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
Is it possible your 112 is a converted combo? The front top edge tapered back to get at the controls makes me think that. If so, it was a very well done mod.

Reactions: corailz

·
Premium Member
17,179 Posts
Congrats! 2204's are a ton of fun.

Reactions: corailz

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it possible your 112 is a converted combo? The front top edge tapered back to get at the controls makes me think that. If so, it was a very well done mod.
Yep, that's exactly what i'm thinking about, but it looks and sounds so cool that i don't care at all!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts