The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a Long and Mcquade customer since 1985. I've noticed in the last few years there customer service has really fallen. In the past 20 or 3 years I've moved more and more away from them going to online retailers in the US as well as the odd one in Canada like Electric Mojo.
A recent experience with Wildwood guitars really impressed me with how they handled it and the way they treated me which further has me moving away from Long and McQuade.
I was in L&M yesterday as I had them transfer a couple of amps from their rental department at the Bloor store to the Hamilton location. I was inquiring about it yesterday and the sales guy couldn't tell me anything, supplied me with completely incorrect information and was pretty much out right rude and short with me. I didn't say anything about it and just ignored the rude behavior. Basically his attitude is, it'll get here when it gets here. As soon as I got home which was about 20 minutes later I get an email and text notification that the amps were there. How did he not know that when I was there? I asked him to check. Is there no way he could have checked. It just seemed like he couldn't be bothered. I go to this store quite a bit as its only about 8 minutes from my office. I pick up strings or other small things I may need. The other 2 L&M stores I've frequented for many years, Cambridge and Burlington, I've never had a problem and in the past I've had very good experiences. Although lately it seems like none of the L&M are as accommodating as they once were. But this Hamilton store is absolutely awful. I usually have a budget of about 10k a year for music and at one time L&M got 90% of it. Now they get about 5% of it. Of course I'm thinking of going to online ordering for everything and they'll get nothing. To me it seems like maybe L&M doesn't really care what I do.
I wonder if there is any department in L&M that I could lodge a complaint and whether its really worth my time.

·
Premium Member
9,704 Posts
Ive never really been impressed with L&M's service. Burlington or North York, for example.
Its like going to Canadian Tire or Wal Mart.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah I hear you. One bad salesman, or bad experience is a real turn off. Especially when there are such strong online options available.

I bought my first new Fender from L&M in '72. The most recent L&M guitar purchase was just a few months ago, where I picked up a nos Larrivee at 45% of list. Basically a new guitar for used price. The price could not be beat by USA online retailers.

I live close to the border so I buy online often and just run across to pick up. Two high end basses last year. I still check out the local L&M and sometimes they can't be beat. Great guys at our Port Coquitlam store, and the salesman that sold me my new '81 Precision Special is at this very store. Awesome store, good prices sometimes, really good staff.

You my find that one lousy saleman in your case may not be around all that long. Good riddance to guys like that.

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
I was in L&M yesterday as I had them transfer a couple of amps from their rental department at the Bloor store to the Hamilton location. I was inquiring about it yesterday and the sales guy couldn't tell me anything, supplied me with completely incorrect information and was pretty much out right rude and short with me. I didn't say anything about it and just ignored the rude behavior. Basically his attitude is, it'll get here when it gets here. As soon as I got home which was about 20 minutes later I get an email and text notification that the amps were there. How did he not know that when I was there?

Because the shipper/receiver had not yet received them and entered them into the system. Until he does that, it will not show up on the computer.

I asked him to check. Is there no way he could have checked.

The guys at my local store check for me all the time. Granted, some of them are friends of mine but I have seen them do it for other customers too (just random customers, not people who I see in the store on a regular basis).

Although lately it seems like none of the L&M are as accommodating as they once were.
None of the ones you have been to.

But this Hamilton store is absolutely awful.

Some of the smaller stores they have bought up operate as if they are still independent. If you want changes at that store, email Steve Long and I guarantee the changes will happen.

I once tried to buy a Les Paul from a store out west that, for some reason, had been massively discounted. A friend at my local store just happened to do a search at exactly the right time so we jumped on it. The manager at the store out west had to speak to the manager at my local store before approving the transfer and came up with some BS reason for why he couldn't transfer it. If I remember correctly, a few minutes later the LP showed up as being on hold with an employee at the western store's name attached to it and no money down on the guitar. So basically they discounted it massively for an employee and, even though I was standing at the counter with money in hand, they came up with some BS excuse and refused to transfer it to me.

The friend who works there quietly told me to email Steve Long so I did. He got back to me and within a week I had that LP at the discounted price.

I wonder if there is any department in L&M that I could lodge a complaint and whether its really worth my time.
See above. Email Steve Long (if you want his email address PM me). When it comes to keeping customers happy he doesn't screw around, and obviously has the power to order any store to do anything he tells them.

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
The people at Bloor Street have always been great with me. Some of them greet me by name when I go in and are always friendly and helpful. I guess it helps that I am a frequent customer and have bought several guitars and amps from them.

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
I've always had good experiences at the Markham store - maybe because I'm a familiar face, but they also seem to have generated some loyalty amongst their employees - they seem to have very low turnover. Other stores that I have been in once or twice have varied widely. Calgary and Scarborough have disappointed, and Stratford was quite impressive. London's stores have improved dramatically since L&M took them over, but they still seem to have some baggage from the previous ownership.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The people at Bloor Street have always been great with me. Some of them greet me by name when I go in and are always friendly and helpful. I guess it helps that I am a frequent customer and have bought several guitars and amps from them.
Yes I don't have an issue with Bloor. Thats just where the amps were being transferred from. I used to get a great reception from Burlington as well, as they all knew me. I haven't been there for quite a while now though. The Hamilton store now that it has opened, is a convenient location for me.
The amps I'm trying out, if they work out f0r me, I'd be buying. I could simply try them out in store at L&M and if I liked them I could order online. I hate to do that though. I've always in the past bought whatever I could in Canada at L&M. But lately customer service leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Go back 6 or 7 years I used to be able to take anything I want out of the store, home for a week no questions no rental, etc. The Burlington store had a custom shop nocaster hanging on the rack for about 6 months that they let me take home. I did end up buying it. I understand why maybe they can't do that as I imagine most would abuse it. They used to transfer stuff from store to store for me or order it in. Now they want me to put a non-refundable deposit on it. If I don't know if I like it or not I don't want to risk a non-refundable deposit. I understand these policy changes and accept them. But its the attitude I'm now seeing with the sales guys that really put me off.
Today I tried 3 times to call the Hamilton store to explain that I may not be in tomorrow to demo the amps they got in for me. the phone just rang and rang. I let it ring about 20 times. I understand things can get busy (although to be honest I've never seen this store as busy as Burlington) but it doesn't look very professional for it to just ring and ring like that. Should at least be picked up by a voice mail.
The attitude I get from most of the staff in Hamilton is that they really don't care.

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
Yes I don't have an issue with Bloor. Thats just where the amps were being transferred from. I used to get a great reception from Burlington as well, as they all knew me. I haven't been there for quite a while now though. The Hamilton store now that it has opened, is a convenient location for me.
The amps I'm trying out, if they work out f0r me, I'd be buying. I could simply try them out in store at L&M and if I liked them I could order online. I hate to do that though. I've always in the past bought whatever I could in Canada at L&M. But lately customer service leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Go back 6 or 7 years I used to be able to take anything I want out of the store, home for a week no questions no rental, etc. The Burlington store had a custom shop nocaster hanging on the rack for about 6 months that they let me take home. I did end up buying it. I understand why maybe they can't do that as I imagine most would abuse it. They used to transfer stuff from store to store for me or order it in. Now they want me to put a non-refundable deposit on it. If I don't know if I like it or not I don't want to risk a non-refundable deposit. I understand these policy changes and accept them. But its the attitude I'm now seeing with the sales guys that really put me off.
Today I tried 3 times to call the Hamilton store to explain that I may not be in tomorrow to demo the amps they got in for me. the phone just rang and rang. I let it ring about 20 times. I understand things can get busy (although to be honest I've never seen this store as busy as Burlington) but it doesn't look very professional for it to just ring and ring like that. Should at least be picked up by a voice mail.
The attitude I get from most of the staff in Hamilton is that they really don't care.
This post would actually make a good basis for a letter to Steve Long, as @colchar suggested.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Bloor store I use sometimes and it’s always been good.

Mainly I use Cosmo bcs even though I live near Jane and Bloor it’s less aggro to drive to Richmond Hill than to drive along Bloor and then find place to park.

Ordered an amp from L&M last week and it shipped same day and arrived the following day new in the box so that worked out Ok.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
I like the Pro Jr a lot as well, but my Harvard is nicer so I couldn't justify keeping it. I should try the new one with the Celestian. Do the new ones still have the hum problems?
Yeah, I knew about the hum problem and mine doesn't seem to have it.

Edit: Just cranked er to 12 and the neighbors as well as a reasonably decent LEO from TPS all assured me that there's no hum on this amp ... lol

1 - 20 of 35 Posts