The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Locking Tuner Suggestions..

3K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Hammertone 
#1 ·
Thinking of pimping out my Lester and looking for some suggestions for locking tuners to replace the stock Grovers without making permanent mods. GO!

Guitar String instrument Electric guitar Musical instrument Plucked string instruments

See less See more
#4 ·
I replaced the same Grovers with locking Grovers hoping they'd be an exact replacement. They weren't. They were slightly out (Originals may have been Chinese rather than US?). Had to fill the original holes and re-drill. YMMV. FU Grover!
Having said that they are good tuners. I have also used the Schaller M3 (better quality, but bulkier), Sperzel's, and Fender's. Want to try the Graphtech Ratio's next.

*Almost forgot, I have a set of Planet Waves Aut0-Trim tuners on an old Epi Les Paul I never play. I think those are my favourite tuners though. No need for side cutters. Lock, twist, cuts string to right length, then tune to pitch. Very quick.

#7 ·
Hipshot make great tuners. And they come with a ‘mounting plate’ so you don’t need to drill any holes at all.

Worthwhile to check out GraphTech “Ratio” tuners as well. Thy also come with a special mounting plate that are supposed to be compatible with existing screw holes. The rep from GraphTech was telling me about these a few weeks back. I plan to bring in a few sets shortly to try them out.

#8 ·
In my opinion PRS has the simplest and yet most effective locking tuners I've ever seen.
I believe they are made for PRS by Schaller.
They would require drilling though.
That said, if you're going to take the plunge and justify doing non-reversable mods, the PRS style would be the only real choice ... if you ask me.
No other tuner would be being worth drilling for in my world.

#12 ·
Gotoh makes a locking tuner as well that locks from the top. No need to tighten with a quarter,or anything. The notches are in the post to loosen when changing strings. To lock, just put the new string through the hole, pull tight and wind. They lock automatically.

Seems Allparts isn’t carrying them anymore. Which is a shame, they are good tuners. Not sure they’d look right on a LP though.

#13 ·
I stand corrected on the Gotoh locking tuners from Allparts, they have them in 3x3. I was looking in the 6L category previously.

Gotoh 510 Chrome Locking Tuners | Allparts.com

Would require drilling new holes.

Interesting comment above about the Grover locking tuners not lining up to the originals. Could be perhaps a different size? Grover makes 3 different size non-locking tuners; not sure the same for locking.

Check these ones out, locking Grover’s that lock from the post side.

Tip Lock (602 Series) | LOCKING ROTOMATICS® | Grover |

#17 ·

[/QUOTE]
A friend of mine had those "Robo Tuners", every time he strum hard , the guitar would tune to an odd open tuning.🤪

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.