The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of PRS Silver Sky Guitars that I use almost exclusively now, but I was having tuning problems and what seemed like slippage, that I thought could be a deal breaker...
So, I did as much research as I could to figure this out... there’s a great Mannmade video on YouTube that shows how to do it right. I was simply pulling the string tight and locking it down coming straight out of the tuner. Wrong! I learned that you need from 1/2 to just shy of a full wrap around the post (that’s also in the Prs literature). Voila! No issues! (And stretch your strings of course).
The Mann video shows that running the string through and pulling it back parallel to the string length, then turning the post 180 degrees, then locking down and tuning, works really well. Hope this helps anyone who was wondering or having problems...

·
Premium Member
17,161 Posts
I always pull tight, lock, stretch then tune. Things barely travel unless I beat on it. I get the one wrap around from that process.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Before you put new strings on put some big bens nut sauce in the string slots , You always wrap the string couple times and as your winding push down on the string just between the nut and tuning post..
tighten string and pull it and tighten and pull it ..my pet peeve is a beautiful guitar with new strings and so shiny and clean and the string ends waving in the wind .. Cut the damn string ends , it shows signs of being lazy..

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I have a couple of PRS Silver Sky Guitars that I use almost exclusively now, but I was having tuning problems and what seemed like slippage, that I thought could be a deal breaker...
So, I did as much research as I could to figure this out... there’s a great Mannmade video on YouTube that shows how to do it right. I was simply pulling the string tight and locking it down coming straight out of the tuner. Wrong! I learned that you need from 1/2 to just shy of a full wrap around the post (that’s also in the Prs literature). Voila! No issues! (And stretch your strings of course).
The Mann video shows that running the string through and pulling it back parallel to the string length, then turning the post 180 degrees, then locking down and tuning, works really well. Hope this helps anyone who was wondering or having problems...
To paraphrase what my ex-wife used to tell me, “Je vais coucher moins niaiseux a soir”. Does this technique apply to any brand of locking tuner?

·
Premium Member
17,161 Posts
Having watched the video, he does it slightly different than I do. I lock then turn. Again, no issues. I'll try this on the S2 next change though, see if there's a difference.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don’t think there would be a practical difference... either way if you end up with 1/2-3/4 of a wrap, you’re good

1 - 8 of 8 Posts