The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Have a 100w Marshall 2555x with matching 4x12 cab. Want to make this sound dirty as possible and maintain my hearing.

Looking at Op Amp top box but it's like 1700/1800 beans Canadian.

Are there options out there that are cheaper that make me sound like Slash at a lower volume?

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
There's a new attenuator out...The Rabbithole....

Seriously, you can spend endless time and $'s taming/neutering your 100w Marshall and it usually ends up sounding like a compromise.
A better option might be to find a smaller amp that delivers what you need at a sensible volume.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Reampers like the Fryette PowerStation or BadCat Unleash.

IME, they are the best (and only) solution to taming a big amp to bedroom levels (attenuators can take a few dB out, but mess with tone if you try to attenuate too much). Reampers also make little 1w, 5w or 15 watt amps play like they're 50 watt amps. My PS is one of the best pieces of gear I've bought this century.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Going to say I really dont want another amp. I am really not interested in recording with the speakers. So am looking for something that may not have as many bells and whistles but performs. Was thinking there might be a go to product but maybe not?

·
Premium Member
18,596 Posts
Going to say I really dont want another amp. I am really not interested in recording with the speakers. So am looking for something that may not have as many bells and whistles but performs. Was thinking there might be a go to product but maybe not?
Two notes. Something in their line does what you need.

·
Premium Member
26,668 Posts
Another possibility is simply less efficient speakers. Speakers can vary in their efficiency by as much as 10-12db, which is a LOT.

Of course, those speakers have to sound the way you want them to. No guarantee that your desired level AND tone can be nailed by what is available and affordable.

The other thing to consider is how much your preferred tone results from the preamp, the power tubes, or speaker breakup.

Finally, I see that it uses a quartet of power tubes. Have you considered pulling one from each "side" (i.e., one from push and one from pull) to halve the power? Or getting a pro to install a switch that cuts output power?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Weber makes a very good product all around.
They are vastly under-appreciated in most guitar circles.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I’ve had a Two Notes Live. I had a Two Notes Studio. Great products and served me very well.

Last Feb, I got the UA Ox and it is fantastic. Super easy unit and does it all for me when playing live, recording or just wanting to play at home.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Interesting everybody has an answer and they are a different. The guys at Long Mcquade rave about the Rivera but no one has mentioned it here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts