The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You people playing out, I would like to know how long your show is, and how many songs do you play, and also how many set lists do you make up.
You have to have breaks, so for eg, do you play 10 songs per set taking 1 break for a total of 20 songs..I am trying to get an idea on how to create a live set list and how would it normally go.with thanks.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I never played anywhere that didn't supply a sound guy but I was playing the Horseshoe, Hard Rock Cafe, etc.

I wouldn't say that was true across the board but generally if you are playing places that regularly have live music they will probably have their own sound guy and equipment.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
This really depends on whether you're talking originals in music venues, or covers in a bar.

In my experience in Toronto's cover band scene the last number of years, you almost never have a sound tech. In fact, it's becoming rare that you have a PA provided. It's pretty much DIY from the minute you get there to the minute you leave. Load-in, set-up, line check, sound check, play, tear-down and leave. It's a loooong night.

In terms of setlists, most places want between 45mins to 1hr per set. That's usually 12-14 songs. Breaks are generally outlined by the venue, but tend to be around 30mins these days.

When we play places like the Bier Markt, etc, there's a contract you sign that indicated exactly what is expected of you. They provide set start and end times and also when and how long breaks are. Takes a lot of guesswork out of the equation! Other places are much more casual about it, but really it all comes down the owner/manager.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This really depends on whether you're talking originals in music venues, or covers in a bar.

In my experience in Toronto's cover band scene the last number of years, you almost never have a sound tech. In fact, it's becoming rare that you have a PA provided. It's pretty much DIY from the minute you get there to the minute you leave. Load-in, set-up, line check, sound check, play, tear-down and leave. It's a loooong night.

In terms of setlists, most places want between 45mins to 1hr per set. That's usually 12-14 songs. Breaks are generally outlined by the venue, but tend to be around 30mins these days.

When we play places like the Bier Markt, etc, there's a contract you sign that indicated exactly what is expected of you. They provide set start and end times and also when and how long breaks are. Takes a lot of guesswork out of the equation! Other places are much more casual about it, but really it all comes down the owner/manager.
I just cannot imagine the work involved bringing in a PA and setting up all the gear and doing sound checks, your looking at 1 1/2 hrs or more just to get to the point of playing..

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
We bring in our own P.A. In a lot of bars.
sometimes we bring in our P.A. Controller (tablet controlled mixer) and use their amps/speakers

3 Sets 13 songs about 1 hour long each.
start at nine.
go until closing or just before last call. Depending on the venue.

Private events we've done are more concert format.
2 sets of 1.5 hours with an 30 min intermission.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I just cannot imagine the work involved bringing in a PA and setting up all the gear and doing sound checks, your looking at 1 1/2 hrs or more just to get to the point of playing..
When you do it enough, you can get it done in less than an hour :cool:

But yeah...it's a lot of work!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
1.5 hours if all goes well, I've spent more time getting bugs out of a system than doing the gig itself. Damn pile of fun though when the gig starts!!

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is a dumb question , you guys bringing your own PA, so how do you know what its sounding like out in the audience were it counts,without having a sound guy monitoring the show.

L

·
0 Posts
I also have a couple of friends who are usually in the audience ..
The only bands that I've gone to see lately are friends'.
If the sound is not right, I'll inform buddy and he adjusts accordingly.

·
Registered
Peavey Wolfgang EVH Wolfgang Charvel Style 2
1,487 Posts
You people playing out, I would like to know how long your show is, and how many songs do you play, and also how many set lists do you make up.
You have to have breaks, so for eg, do you play 10 songs per set taking 1 break for a total of 20 songs..I am trying to get an idea on how to create a live set list and how would it normally go.with thanks.
For Blakkstone Hexx our standard length show is 4 hours.
3 x 50 to 60 minute sets with breaks in between. Sets are Generally 12 to 14 songs.
We gig in and around Calgary AB

Many Venues/Pubs/Bars don't have PA and Lights let alone a soundman. We own all our own PA and Lighting gear and I do our sound. Our Bass player is also a soundman and is very capable of pulling off sound for our gigs. When there is a PA and Soundman provided many Venues charge for bands to use it. Standard is $50 per night with no Soundman.

There are no dumb questions. I use a wireless and I go out front and walk around to do the FOH sound quality checks.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Here is a dumb question , you guys bringing your own PA, so how do you know what its sounding like out in the audience were it counts,without having a sound guy monitoring the show.
The short answer is "I don't care."

But seriously, I do as good a job as I can of making sure we sound great in soundcheck. I have a wireless unit on my guitar and a wireless mixer, so I can mix the soundcheck from out front. Once I'm happy, I set it and forget it. I won't touch the mixer again unless something goes horribly wrong.

I get all kinds of people (servers, management, audience) telling me they want to hear more of this or that or whatever. I tell them I'll get right on it, make a show of touching the mixer, but not actually do anything.

We don't get paid enough to hire a live sound tech, so as far as I'm concerned, you get my best effort before the show and then you get our best effort as a band during the show.

I usually err on the side of loud vocals, loud bass, loud drums. Usually the keys and guitars are low in the mix. People don't dance or sing along to those instruments :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
3 x 50 to 60 minute sets with breaks in between. Sets are Generally 12 to 14 songs.

Many Venues/Pubs/Bars don't have PA and Lights let alone a soundman. We own all our own PA and Lighting gear and I do our sound. Our Bass player is also a soundman and is very capable of pulling off sound for our gigs. When there is a PA and Soundman provided many Venues charge for bands to use it. Standard is $50 per night with no Soundman.

There are no dumb questions. I use a wireless and I go out front and walk around to do the FOH sound quality checks.

That's crazy - I didn't know there were that many places that didn't have a PA. Although in my past experience a bad soundman is worse than no soundman. And a lot of bars would just turn up the bass and drums and that was about all you'd get for the night anyways.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The short answer is "I don't care."

But seriously, I do as good a job as I can of making sure we sound great in soundcheck. I have a wireless unit on my guitar and a wireless mixer, so I can mix the soundcheck from out front. Once I'm happy, I set it and forget it. I won't touch the mixer again unless something goes horribly wrong.

I get all kinds of people (servers, management, audience) telling me they want to hear more of this or that or whatever. I tell them I'll get right on it, make a show of touching the mixer, but not actually do anything.

We don't get paid enough to hire a live sound tech, so as far as I'm concerned, you get my best effort before the show and then you get our best effort as a band during the show.

I usually err on the side of loud vocals, loud bass, loud drums. Usually the keys and guitars are low in the mix. People don't dance or sing along to those instruments :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it sounds like a bad mix if you have bass and drums ahead of the guitars... my thought of a good mix, is Vocals first, then guitars, and bass and drums at the same level...

·
Registered
6,272 Posts

Wow, I'm used to lugging my PA around, but I've never had to pay to use an on-site PA! That's garbage.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
it sounds like a bad mix if you have bass and drums ahead of the guitars... my thought of a good mix, is Vocals first, then guitars, and bass and drums at the same level...
Locals are #1 for me. My post says that, too ;)

It's not that guitars and keys aren't in the mix, but they occupy a different frequency range than drums and bass and typically they cut better with less power anyway (low freq needs lots of juice to get going). I set drums and bass first, make sure vocals sit nicely on top and then fill-in with guitars and keys.

But yeah, the kinds of places we play have dancefloors and lots of people who want to dance all night. No one dances to guitar. I've come to realize that the guitar is probably the least-important member of the band to the average person in the audience - that is, until you whip out the solo to Sweet Child O Mine or something and people go crazy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts