The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any folks have some tips and tricks as far as live looping goes? I’m trying to play around with stuff but don’t have the talent (or brain) for it yet. Lookimg for any suggestions tips or tricks. Adding bass lines, percussive stuff etc.

Any song ideas that are a good place to start? I’m using a very basic looper - digitech jam man it is similar to a ditto.

Thanks,

Dan

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
I'm no expert but agree with @Budda - knowing your looper and learning the new skill of when to punch in and out with the button are crucial. The guys on YouTube make it look easy, but I'm sure they spent many hours just figuring out how long it takes them to hit the button.

I'm always listening for songs that "build", trying to remember potential candidates for my future fame and fortune as a pro looper. I've thought that Fleetwood Mac "Big Love" intro would be interesting, or messing around with the first few bars of Luba "Let it Go" (acoustic version). Also Third Eye Blind "Motorcycle Drive By", Soundgarden "Spoonman" (cuz I like the riff), Pearl Jam "Jeremy", Radiohead "Creep". Or just start a techno guitar solo act.

·
Premium Member
6,007 Posts
I just watched a guy last week do exactly what you are wanting to do. He used the looper, he had the large ditto, so he can do solos. He was pretty good at it but he said it takes a while to get used to it. This is also with the fact that he was also using a kick pedal that made bass drum sounds.
It can be done but with a bit of practice.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Music that lacks typical structure (verse, chorus, bridge -- heck, even Part One Part Two) gets boring real quick. The best loopers I have watched, structure their music to allow for Erase and Re-do -- otherwise any slip is a complete friggin trainwreck, unlike having a band to help you recover.

The next logical step is backing tracks -- triggered or canned. In the end, the machine is in charge, not you. But with the appropriate degree of talent, practise and showmanship...

·
Mod Squad
955 Posts
Lemmo's demos for NRG often feature a looper,and he's quite adept with it.. easy to pickup tricks and tips by watching

1 - 12 of 12 Posts