The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been bugging me for a while.

The Hip and Blue Rodeo are two of my favourite bands. I've seen them both several times in concert but to be honest I can't stand their live albums.

Why can't they release live albums that are nearly as good as their shows?

Each Song on Blue Rodeo's JLAV was culled from a different show. I think the in-fighting between Jim and Greg got the best of them on that album. Had they released full recordings from any of the dozen or so shows that i have seen it would have blown away JLAV.

I don't know what to say about Live Between Us. The Hip should have recorded here in Canada where the fans truly understand every note and every lyric of all of their great songs. Either way Live Between Us doesn't compare to their live shows at all.

Just had to get that off my chest...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Of course, there are all the fabulous live Rush albums. Take your pick - my favourite is disc 3 from "Different Stages Live" which was recorded at The Hammersmith in the late 70's. By-Tor and the Snow Dog, Xanadu, Cygnus X-1...fantastic.

But I'll always have a soft spot for Goddo's "Best Seat in the House". Takes me back to high school and all the mischief that went along with it.

And, as much as I love The Hip, I cannot stand their live recordings either. Gordo needs to "stick to the script" a bit more. His ramblings are frustrating to listen to unless you're there watching it live. But I do have a cassette tape somewhere of a show they recorded at The Misty Moon in Halifax, NS sometime in the very early 90's. I think it also aired on Much Music or something. Anyhow, it's a great live recording. I should try to dig that up. There's some great tracks including a song that I don't think they ever released called "Crack my Spine Like a Whip".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts