The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Admittedly, I haven't seen one episode of this show, but from the commercials, it seemed like it was trying too hard. And it was being advertised a LOT, which is usually the sign of a kind of crappy show (or movie).

·
Registered
319 Posts
Canuck T.V

Thats Canadian T.V...........in our trying to be different from typical american t.v it always ends up kinda lame.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Its really defined a whole new level of crap. TV blows. I've been watching original Twilight Zone all week. Now thats real tv.................

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i mean... I think it is supposed to be funny... I think... but it is tremendously bad and the attempt at humor is totally lost. Just a bunch of geeks running around shouting "Islam" and complaining about hip hop music and young girls not wearing head dresses. it's really, really bad.

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
GuitarsCanada said:
Whats the deal with this one? I am not getting it at all. I don't think it's going to work. I have it on in the background here and it's pretty bizarre.
Canadian TV is usually pretty bad, but this show is painful to watch. Maybe i'm not in the target audience....

·
Registered
208 Posts
rippinglickfest said:
Thats Canadian T.V...........in our trying to be different from typical american t.v it always ends up kinda lame.
You hit the nail on the head, RLF. CBC, CTV, both are guilty. Things like "Emily of New Moon" GAG!

The CRTC has all the media execs in this country taking drugs, it seems.

Careful, the USA is just to the south of us and it's HUNGRY......

·
Registered
635 Posts
There's some good Canadian TV. Slings and Arrows comes to mind, but it's shown on The Movie Network and I'm pretty sure that nobody but my wife and I have seen it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Anything CBC puts out is crap except for Hockey Night in Canada.

·
Registered
635 Posts
That's because CBC has no incentive to do good stuff. They're gonna get paid whether Pit Pony or Emily of New Moon is crap or not. That said, a lot of the news/investigative reporting stuff on CBC is great.

If CBC was like BBC and it was all we had, people would put more pressure on them to put out quality shows. But as it is, we have a million channels to choose from and don't have to rely on it.

And hey- it's not just CBC that sucks. Pretty much every Canadian broadcaster is guilty of airing horrible shows. I went on a rant once with someone from the CBC about what a brutal show "Blackfly" was, questioning how it managed to stay on the air so long and how it's so typical of the uninspired crap they put out, at which point the person corrected me and said that it was a Global show or something like that. I just said "Yeah, well......... it seemed like a shitty CBC show, so it doesn't really matter.". There was no reply to that. She knew exactly what I was talking about. Hahaha.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...i'm no fan of cbc television. of course, i'm no fan of television, period. i gave it up well over a year ago.

but i worry that some right wingnut is going to axe cbc radio. if/when that happens, my sense of belonging and being a part of this country will evaporate.

-dh

btw, i have never been able to relate to the "if its canadian, it can't be any good" crowd.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Beachcombers

GuitarsCanada said:
I could watch a marathon of the Beachcombers before watching this one again.
Yeah the old beachcombers was alright........I'm talking the1970's when Relic was always a miserable bastard. Then that got lame later on as well.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
double standard?

I guess it's alright to poke fun at "majority Canadians" such as in "Corner Gas" or even the old Beachcombers, but it's trickier to do it with "minority" groups. Little Mosque would probably be really funny if it was a send up of the cultural excesses of its main character group, but politically correct CBC is obviously afraid. They exaggerate the "ordinary" town folks' misunderstanding and behaviour, but it seems they don't know how, or are afraid to try, with the Moslem characters. Too bad...this show had great potential for putting everyone at ease by showing us that under it all we're all nuts!:banana:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I saw the first episode and part of another. I thought the first was somewhat funny, but the joke has already worn itself out IMO.

Corner Gas on the other hand, I try to never miss. I think it is brilliant.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I really liked Corner Gas until this season. It seems a little tired now.

Lacey is still cute as heck though.

·
Registered
526 Posts
watched about half an episode of little mosque....it was marginally humorous but like all other cbc series, it's not good enough to stay on the air.

they should just start rerunning the WGB, codco, and skipper and company.

aside from rick mercer and 22 minutes the cbc falls flat.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
jroberts said:
I beg to differ with your exception to the rule. I would much rather watch SportsNet coverage than CBC. Bob Cole and Harry Neal? Worst commentators in professional sport. Don Cherry? He used to be amusing, but he seems more like a parody of himself these days. Combining horrible on-air personalities, an assumption that everyone in Canda is a Leafs fan, and no end of technical glitches, makes HNC one of the worst sports programs on television, IMHO. Kelly Hrudy is good, though. I wish he'd switch over to SportsNet.
LMAO. Sportsnet game commentators are the most biased I've seen. They couldn't stick their noses up the Flames arses further if someone was pushing from behind. I can see how Oiler or Flames fans love sportsnet, the announcers are as passionate about the team as the fans are.

The problem with Bob and Harry is all they do is Leafs games and sooner or later that starts chafing the western team fans. They get Toronto games rammed down their throat every Saturday. Everybody out west loves to hate Toronto. That said, Bob and Harry do give the other team's players some attention and respect unlike Sportsnet.

Kelly Hrudy is decent, but then again he never covers a Toronto game.

I agree on Don, don't even watch him anymore.

One last note: CBC has the worst HD of any HD channel I've seen. It's horrid.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Jeff Flowerday said:
One last note: CBC has the worst HD of any HD channel I've seen. It's horrid.
So true. Most games they broadcast in HD either look like soft, blocky/artifacty crap (CFL games), or, the HD shots look okay, but the other 50% of the shots are upconverted SD cameras (most of the HNIC stuff), which just ruins it all as well.

I don't know what their freakin' problem is with broadcasting live sports in HD, but they should get it sorted out lickety split. Their first HD broadcast a few years ago was very promising and then things have just gone downhill since.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts