1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Administrator
17,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all of you modeler guys.

These sound interesting.

Powercab

So are these the Helix FRFR speakers we’ve been requesting for, like, years?
Nope—Powercab is waaay beyond your bog standard FRFR speaker. When paired with any modeler, it’s an active speaker system that can deliver a much more authentic “amp-in-the-room” playing experience. However, when set to Flat mode (and whether you load IRs into Powercab or your modeler), Powercab amplifies the sound of your presets as they are, similar to a traditional FRFR speaker system—but with a response and feel closer to that of an actual guitar amp.

Powercab works as both a backline amp and a wedge speaker, thanks to its integrated kickstands.

Oh, and it looks like a guitar amp instead of a PA speaker. So that’s cool.

What’s going on under the hood?
Powercab doesn’t utilize cab modeling; it has true speaker modeling. Speaker Modeling is Line 6’s proprietary method of duplicating the frequency and behavior of speaker drivers by themselves, independently of the cabinets in which they happen to be loaded. Imagine having an empty 1x12 speaker cabinet where you can swap out the Greenback for a Creamback or a Swamp Thang or an Alnico Blue—instantly—and you’re close.

I don’t own Helix. Will Powercab work with my Kemper, Atomic, or Fractal box?
Absolutely! And any other modeler as well, including POD HD500X. In fact, if your modeler has a 48kHz AES/EBU out (or S/PDIF out with RCA-to-XLR M adapter), with Powercab 112 Plus you can run everything digitally, with no additional D/A/D conversion or latency. And if your modeler sends MIDI messages, you can even sync Powercab 112 Plus’s presets and user IRs with your modeler or profiler’s presets.

Which six speakers are the models based on?
  • Celestion® Vintage 30
  • Celestion® Greenback 25
  • Celestion® G12M-65
  • Jensen® P12Q
  • Eminence® Swamp Thang Patriot Series
  • Celestion® “Blue Bell” Alnico
What’s the difference between Powercab 112 and Powercab 112 Plus?
Powercab 112 Plus adds the following:
  • 2-inch, 128 x 32-pixel LCD display
  • 128 user preset locations
  • 128 user IR locations
  • MIDI In and Out for recalling presets, IRs, and most parameters (can also be recalled via USB)
  • AES/EBU | L6 LINKTM digital In and Out
  • Additional input for use as an FOH monitor (post-DSP)
  • Powercab Edit connectivity
  • USB audio interface for jamming along with or monitoring backing tracks from your Mac/PC/iOS* device
  • User-selectable mic modeling and distance on the XLR output (Powercab 112’s output uses an SM58 model only)
  • Powercab 112 Plus is about 2 lb (1 kg) heavier
*iOS interfacing requires the Apple Camera Connection Kit

How loud do they get?
250 watts total. That's 200 watts to the woofer and 50 watts to the compression driver.

Wait. 250 watts doesn’t sound like much. Aren’t there other speakers that are thousands of watts?
250 real watts, not marketing watts. The operative spec here is SPL (Sound Pressure Level). Powercab reaches 125dB SPL handily. You should have no problems playing next to the drummer.

What’s the reference speaker used?
Powercab features a custom designed 8Ω, 12" coaxial speaker that uses a guitar-style cone as opposed to a PA-style cone with a 2” high-temperature voice coil loosely based on the Eminence Beta 12CX format. The 1” compression driver is a Celestion CDX 1-1010, which is used only for Flat mode, monitor feeds, and user IR modes; it’s not utilized at all for speaker models.

How do I load IRs into Powercab 112 Plus?
From the free Powercab Edit software (Mac/PC) via USB.

So I can edit presets via Mac or PC?
Yes. Powercab Edit (Mac/PC, available this May from Line 6) is used to manage, reorder, backup, import, and export your Powercab 112 Plus presets and IR files (2048-point, 48 kHz .WAV). This allows you to easily create an unlimited collection of presets and IRs stored on your computer, and transfer them as needed to Powercab 112 Plus.

Can I get a cover for Powercab?
Yes, Powercab covers will be available from select retailers and the Line 6 Store; expected US street price is $69.99.

Dimensions/weight? Am I gonna break my back?
Powercab 112—22.3”w x 18.2”h x 12”d (33.25 lbs)
Powercab 112 Plus—22.3”w x 18.2”h x 12”d (35.5 lbs)

What’s the price?
Powercab 112—$599.99 US street
Powercab 112 Plus—$799.99 US street

When are they shipping?
May 2018.

Reactions: jdto

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
These look very cool. I sold my modelling stuff (except for the Amplifire that I use to play with headphones), but if I were to put together another Helix rig (which I've contemplated), these would be on my list of cabs to try out.

If they deliver on their potential, they could be pretty cool.

·
Banned
13,247 Posts
sometimes I wish Line 6 would just build a simple piece of equipment and not incorporate digital tech of any sort. I checked out these earlier this week and was immediately turned off when they showed the extra bells and whistles, like the modelling. It'll do the job for some but if I'm looking for a straight ahead and simple FRFR speaker I'm going to pass on these. It also makes me wonder if something like this, probably like all Line6 stuff, is heading for the junk pile in a few years when it is outdated

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
sometimes I wish Line 6 would just build a simple piece of equipment and not incorporate digital tech of any sort. I checked out these earlier this week and was immediately turned off when they showed the extra bells and whistles, like the modelling. It'll do the job for some but if I'm looking for a straight ahead and simple FRFR speaker I'm going to pass on these. It also makes me wonder if something like this, probably like all Line6 stuff, is heading for the junk pile in a few years when it is outdated
I don't think something like a Helix will go to the junk pile in a few years. If it's working and set up well, I don't see any reason not to use it for a long time. These cabs can do the FRFR thing if you turn the speaker emulation off. It seems like a good design with some flexibility that addresses one of the big complaints from some about modellers (ie. miked sound vs. amp in the room sound).

·
Registered
12,022 Posts
Didn't they do some Bogner designed amps that were tube?

·
Banned
13,247 Posts
I don't think something like a Helix will go to the junk pile in a few years. If it's working and set up well, I don't see any reason not to use it for a long time. These cabs can do the FRFR thing if you turn the speaker emulation off. It seems like a good design with some flexibility that addresses one of the big complaints from some about modellers (ie. miked sound vs. amp in the room sound).
I'm still not sold on these cabs but that may change when I'm ready to buy. I'm really digging the Friedman stuff and I just found out they do a simple regular looking 1x12 with horn FRFR cab over the wedge they used to show. As for the Helix, it seems like it will outlast the pods for the time being but you can't argue that many of those units are outdated and heading for the back shelf/junk pile.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I'm still not sold on these cabs but that may change when I'm ready to buy. I'm really digging the Friedman stuff and I just found out they do a simple regular looking 1x12 with horn FRFR cab over the wedge they used to show. As for the Helix, it seems like it will outlast the pods for the time being but you can't argue that many of those units are outdated and heading for the back shelf/junk pile.
Yeah, the earlier stuff is probably getting bypassed, it’s true. The sounds from the current modellers are good enough that you could play them for 20 years, provided they don’t fry or something. A Helix is a pretty damn good piece of gear. That with a pair of these cabs (or with some good FRFR like a Friedman or XiTone) would be a kickass setup for anyone.

If it weren’t for GAS, I’d still have a Helix/XiTone setup and I’d probably not need anything else. Not that I buy gear because of need, anyway :D

·
Registered
12,022 Posts
I thought those things were just straight tube amps? Oh well.

I've never owned any modelling gear for the same reason.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
You’re thinking is asenine really. Are you still listening to music on an 8-track? How about watching a tube TV? Technology keeps advancing and with that the old tech becomes obsolete and heads for the “junk pile”. L6 is killing right now with their new tech, can’t wait to try that PC+!!!

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
oh yea, those were actually pretty cool and could have been cooler if all the modelling could be yanked out and you'd still have a working amp.
That's exactly what I did with my Line 6 Spider Valve. Pulled all the digital crap and built my own preamp. The tube section is very easy to work with.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,576 Posts
They are up front that this isnt meant to be just an frfr cab.

Which is their way of saying "if you jut want an frfr wedge, other peope make that. If you want something better, look here".

·
Registered
845 Posts
I’m not sure why people who aren’t into modelling are posting:
To me with a modeller you are going direct so for me a powered cab of decent quality will do fine as far as FRFR.
This is probably next level detail for the weirdos who use modeling to get as close to tubes as possible- I don’t quite understand that myself. Why can’t modeling sound like itself? Every once in a while I play a tube amp and I left disappointed. So one dimensional. My opinion of course

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I just picked up a Powercab Plus last week along with a Helix LT. The PC+ sounds really good, so far. I haven’t been able to really play it too much as we had to close the cottage this weekend, but what little I’ve played sounds good. The greenback model certainly gives a greenback vibe based on the amps I’ve had with that speaker.

@Cups it’s nice to have different sound options. My Helix is full of “miked amp” presets and they sound great, but turning off the cab block in Helix and using the greenback model in the PC+ sounds really good, too.

As to weirdos using modelling to get as close to tubes as possible, a big selling point of the top-line modellers is “you can’t hear or feel a difference”.

I agree that modellers sound good, but they are models of tube amps, so I guess that’s why people want them to sound like the amps they simulate.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Weirdo is the wrong word (and not very gracious of me). It just seems people want modeling to be what’s its not and then end up bad mouthing it because it is what it is (make sense?)
Of course there’s no pleasing some people. I guess these individuals like sound more than actually playing music.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Weirdo is the wrong word (and not very gracious of me). It just seems people want modeling to be what’s its not and then end up bad mouthing it because it is what it is (make sense?)
Of course there’s no pleasing some people. I guess these individuals like sound more than actually playing music.
I get what you're saying. There will always be biases for or against any technology. I had a full Helix modelling rig and I sold it and bought a couple of tube amps. Now I've come back to the Helix. I like the ease of switching amps/rigs for different tones and sounds. I will eventually hook it up to my computer and set up a few presets for the kind of songs and music I like to play, but there are plenty of usable tones in it already.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
I would say a lot of us want modeling to the best of both worlds. The tone of a good amp (tube or otherwise, although in my world it is only the former) but with the flexibility of switching platforms, built in effects, lots of presets - and not weighing 100lbs. This last comment was because I owned a very versatile 4 channel tube amp that was crazy heavy and crazy loud, although it sounded great and met many of my 'flexibility' criteria. I just hated moving it.

I also don't think liking good sound and playing music are mutually exclusive. In fact, I think the former feeds the latter, at least in my and my contemporaries' case. Just because you like good tone doesn't mean you can't play, or don't play out. Ask guys like Pete Thorn or Ian Thornley. YMMV.

·
Banned
13,247 Posts
You’re thinking is asenine really. Are you still listening to music on an 8-track? How about watching a tube TV? Technology keeps advancing and with that the old tech becomes obsolete and heads for the “junk pile”. L6 is killing right now with their new tech, can’t wait to try that PC+!!!
It's probably asinine but it isn't that far fetched. We may not be listening to 8-tracks but vinyl has certainly made a comeback. We may not be watching tube TV's but we are certainly playing tube amps and praising the vintage circuits of the golden tone era. With how quick technology is advancing the 'new' becomes obsolete quicker than the old, it often doesn't even have a chance to make a presence. A Fender Blues Jr hasn't changed all that much over the years but we've gone through literally ten L6 POD's in that time. I'm not trying to trash modelling in my post I'm saying I wish that L6, if given the opportunity, make something that has a better chance of sticking around. I think with all the modelling options they offer these days in pedal, floorboard and rack form, why not offer something simple that can stay relevant across the board for longer? A simplified speaker cab may be that opportunity.

·
Premium Member
18,576 Posts
It's probably asinine but it isn't that far fetched. We may not be listening to 8-tracks but vinyl has certainly made a comeback. We may not be watching tube TV's but we are certainly playing tube amps and praising the vintage circuits of the golden tone era. With how quick technology is advancing the 'new' becomes obsolete quicker than the old, it often doesn't even have a chance to make a presence. A Fender Blues Jr hasn't changed all that much over the years but we've gone through literally ten L6 POD's in that time. I'm not trying to trash modelling in my post I'm saying I wish that L6, if given the opportunity, make something that has a better chance of sticking around. I think with all the modelling options they offer these days in pedal, floorboard and rack form, why not offer something simple that can stay relevant across the board for longer? A simplified speaker cab may be that opportunity.
Probably because literally everything line 6 does is about pushing forward and being the latest and greatest.

Yeah fender didnt change the blues junior, but you're omitting the mustang series ;)

1 - 20 of 83 Posts