The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Line 6 Helix is a lot more than most members want or need but the HX Stomp Box is similar in many respects and about 1/2 the price of the Helis. Any thoughts or experiences on this unit?

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
..., more than most members want or need ....
you may be on the wrong Forum.

seriously though, I've tried one but it isn't going to make a lick of difference to you. What I would truly like is YOU go out and try one of these, then report back. Can we expect a comprehensive review from Steadly in the future?

·
Registered
24,363 Posts
Given where he lives, he is unlikely to be anywhere within 100 miles of one, unless New Brunswick music merchants have seriously upped their game. We don't all live in the GTA, you know. And as I'm sure many are aware, how something seems to sound on Youtube isn't necessarily what the live experience of it will be like.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Given where he lives, he is unlikely to be anywhere within 100 miles of one, unless New Brunswick music merchants have seriously upped their game. We don't all live in the GTA, you know.
please, ..this is a guy who will drive to the border shipping depot and to Guitar Centre in another country to save 10 bucks. I'm sure he can fit in some time with for a quick pedal demo on one of his weekly visits

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Given where he lives, he is unlikely to be anywhere within 100 miles of one, unless New Brunswick music merchants have seriously upped their game. We don't all live in the GTA, you know. And as I'm sure many are aware, how something seems to sound on Youtube isn't necessarily what the live experience of it will be like.
Something like that and I would order online and NB has certainly not upped their game.

·
Premium Member
11,842 Posts
This is a big step forward.

If you've finally made it to the very bottom of the Helix line, you are getting closer to your oft-repeated "you don't need a decent amp, MFX can do everything" mantra being slightly accurate.

Keep going up the ladder and you can actually get very close to what you are trying to convince people of (and of course with no real-world experience). It just don't happen at $300. Or even $794.99. Unless your ears are made of stone. Then, anything is possible, I suppose.

·
Premium Member
11,842 Posts
Not knowing the actual brand probably won't help him much. Or maybe it will?

Reactions: Dorian2

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
I have the Helix LT and the HX Stomp. Both sound really great through my PowerCab Plus 112. Last night I plugged into the LT and played a Vox AC30, then a Plexi, then switched to a Fender Deluxe Reverb, then back to a Plexi again, all with a few stomps on switches. Also, all in my apartment at volume levels that didn't wake up my son while still getting a lot of the flavour of the amps turned up to sweet spot levels. Sure, it isn't exactly the same as a cranked tube amp in the room, but at 11 PM on a Monday in my apartment, it's far better than good enough.

·
Premium Member
11,842 Posts
I have the Helix LT and the HX Stomp. Both sound really great through my PowerCab Plus 112. Last night I plugged into the LT and played a Vox AC30, then a Plexi, then switched to a Fender Deluxe Reverb, then back to a Plexi again, all with a few stomps on switches. Also, all in my apartment at volume levels that didn't wake up my son while still getting a lot of the flavour of the amps turned up to sweet spot levels. Sure, it isn't exactly the same as a cranked tube amp in the room, but at 11 PM on a Monday in my apartment, it's far better than good enough.
+1

In the last few months, I've quit wondering if my KPA sounds the same as tube amps, if it sounds as good as them, or whatever. It just sounds good. It may be a tiny bit different than the amp it's modeling, but such a tiny difference as to be somewhat irrelevant. And who's to say if that difference is good or bad? It also has advantages that a tube amp can't touch.

As you said, they are far better than good enough now.

Reactions: jdto

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
+1

In the last few months, I've quit wondering if my KPA sounds the same as tube amps, if it sounds as good as them, or whatever. It just sounds good. It may be a tiny bit different than the amp it's modeling, but such a tiny difference as to be somewhat irrelevant. And who's to say if that difference is good or bad? It also has advantages that a tube amp can't touch.

As you said, they are far better than good enough now.
I haven't even really spent a lot of time dialling my Helix units in. I haven't done firmware updates or anything, yet, either. I just plug in, find a preset that sounds decent, maybe twiddle some of the amp knobs, then play. I have been procrastinating on repairing my computer, but once I do that, I'll probably work on dialling in some presets for both the LT and the Stomp to get certain tones that I like.

·
Registered
724 Posts
The HX Stomp is very cool.

I am still not fan of its amp models and prefer my tube Mesas.

I love my HX Effects, though. It’s a fantastic unit and has proved incredibly fun and useful. Using it with a few other pedals makes for an amazing array of options and applications.

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
Looks like a great device.

A full blown Helix is on my wish list, but if these start showing up used for a decent price......
I bought a big Helix a few years ago and went full modelling. I had a Helix, an Atomic Amplifire, a great FRFR cab and it all sounded really good. I used the Amplifire at one of the Riff Wrath jams and it sounded just fine alongside the tube amps that were there. Then I got the GAS bug, sold all that stuff and went back to tube amps and pedals. But after flipping a couple of amps and a bunch of pedals, I realized that the ease and convenience of having a very good version of many amps and pedals in one platform was probably going to work better for me. I found a used Helix LT at a great price here on GC and jumped on it. Then I picked up a PowerCab Plus from L&M and I was on my way.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought a big Helix a few years ago and went full modelling. I had a Helix, an Atomic Amplifire, a great FRFR cab and it all sounded really good. I used the Amplifire at one of the Riff Wrath jams and it sounded just fine alongside the tube amps that were there. Then I got the GAS bug, sold all that stuff and went back to tube amps and pedals. But after flipping a couple of amps and a bunch of pedals, I realized that the ease and convenience of having a very good version of many amps and pedals in one platform was probably going to work better for me. I found a used Helix LT at a great price here on GC and jumped on it. Then I picked up a PowerCab Plus from L&M and I was on my way.
Eaze and convenience. With all the things we have to put up with in today's world, it is a great thing if we can simplify our lives a bit.

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
457 Posts
I recently got a HX Stomp to integrate into my pedalboard, use a recording amp in the studio; and as a backup 'amp' in the event of my main amp meltdown at a gig. I'm into rig downsizing as much as possible these days. I seriously looked at the Helix LT, but decided on the HX Stomp for my first excursion into modelling. Helix is a hefty piece of gear, and wouldn't realize its potential given I'm not ready to give up my amps yet, so I'd be hauling amp + Helix around, as well as my fav pedals, and then contending with 4 cables/loops etc.
IMHO, the Stomp will let me determine if I want to go further down that path. Yeah, there's a ton of demos on YT, but I figure you really have to play with one firsthand, to see how it works (or not) for you.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I recently got a HX Stomp to integrate into my pedalboard, use a recording amp in the studio; and as a backup 'amp' in the event of my main amp meltdown at a gig. I'm into rig downsizing as much as possible these days. I seriously looked at the Helix LT, but decided on the HX Stomp for my first excursion into modelling. Helix is a hefty piece of gear, and wouldn't realize its potential given I'm not ready to give up my amps yet, so I'd be hauling amp + Helix around, as well as my fav pedals, and then contending with 4 cables/loops etc.
IMHO, the Stomp will let me determine if I want to go further down that path. Yeah, there's a ton of demos on YT, but I figure you really have to play with one firsthand, to see how it works (or not) for you.
It seems you gave this some serious thought and I think the sense you have is likely a good idea for many. I hope you reach your downsizing goal in the not to distant future.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts