The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was held at Lauzon Music. That Helix is damned impressive. They had brought in their Helix guru (pictured) from the US who did a great job overviewing its capabilities.

They had also brought in some demo units for really good prices. Have to admit I was tempted. What held me back was I'm still pretty happy with capabilities of my iPad Pro as a DSP and the lack of BlueTooth connectivity to tablets. I don't want to have to be dragging the unit over to my PC to update it, backup presets or use their tone editing software.

Classy and professional presentation by Lauzon. The lack of beer was the only reason for not giving it five stars :)

IMG_3880.JPG

·
Premium Member
17,182 Posts
Dragging the unit? Its as easy moving your guitar. I dont get that "negative" - its not like you back it up every night and get a new update every few days.

I say take the plunge :p

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the GT-100 which works the same way. Got tired of trying to do everything bent over on the floor. Would rather make edits, name patches, create snapshots, etc from the PC. And yeah, it's a bit of a pain. Power up the PC, go grab the unit, plug the unit into power, connect the USB cable, load the editing software, wait for it to find the unit, do your work, unplug everything again, take the unit back to the studio, plug back in everything there. I'm trying to simplify my life so the little time I have to play is as productive as possible.

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,852 Posts
.......take the unit back to the studio, plug back in everything there...........
Does your studio not have a PC? Why not just leave everything where it is and plug into that?

Can't speak for others, but my music area/studio/room/corner has always had a PC since DAWs became a thing in the late 90's. I got started with Cool Edit Pro 1.2 around 2001/2002 and got my first digital piece of gear (the PODxt) around 2002/2003 Everything stays where it is and anything digital is connected at all times, so I've never had to deal with the issues you're mentioning. It takes time to set up initially, but it's nice to be able to just play, hit record on a moment's notice, or connect/update/edit/etc any individual digital unit that needs tweaking. Very little wait time or fiddling about (unless something goes wrong).

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I sure wish I could plug my GT-001 into my iPad and Linux. The ridiculous non-class-compliant sound is screwing with everything.

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does your studio not have a PC? Why not just leave everything where it is and plug into that?

Can't speak for others, but my music area/studio/room/corner has always had a PC since DAWs became a thing in the late 90's. I got started with Cool Edit Pro 1.2 around 2001/2002 and got my first digital piece of gear (the PODxt) around 2002/2003 Everything stays where it is and anything digital is connected at all times, so I've never had to deal with the issues you're mentioning. It takes time to set up initially, but it's nice to be able to just play, hit record on a moment's notice, or connect/update/edit/etc any individual digital unit that needs tweaking. Very little wait time or fiddling about (unless something goes wrong).
It does but it's not within easy reach and I don't want to leave cables plugged in. It's a big monster of a PC and generates a lot of heat. There's no reason not to support wireless. The only computer in my little studio is my iPad Pro.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
it all needs to be Bluetooth, no more plugging in
It does but it's not within easy reach and I don't want to leave cables plugged in. It's a big monster of a PC and generates a lot of heat. There's no reason not to support wireless. The only computer in my little studio is my iPad Pro.
I wish my Helix has Bluetooth as well, but I imagine we'll see that in the next iteration.

Having said that, I LOVE my Helix. It's the best piece of gear I've ever bought. The freedom I have from chasing amps and pedals and just sitting-down, making patches and playing is well worth it. Also, note that Line 6 has a VST version of Helix called Native. You can use that on your studio PC to create and edit patches, etc. and then port them over to Helix whenever you're able to. It's not wireless, but it might be a work-around. I haul my Helix board in and out of it's flightcase and yeah, it's a bit of a PITA....BUT I save a lot of time and energy not having to haul an amp to shows, etc.

I sold all my pedals and amps a couple years back and haven't looked back. In fact, I haven't even been tempted by buying an amp or pedal in a looooooong time. I stopped browsing Kijiji/CL, I even cut down my time here on GC. Between the time I'm not lusting after new gear and the money I'm saving on not buying new toys, Helix has probably saved my marriage! :D

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish my Helix has Bluetooth as well, but I imagine we'll see that in the next iteration.

Having said that, I LOVE my Helix. It's the best piece of gear I've ever bought. The freedom I have from chasing amps and pedals and just sitting-down, making patches and playing is well worth it. Also, note that Line 6 has a VST version of Helix called Native. You can use that on your studio PC to create and edit patches, etc. and then port them over to Helix whenever you're able to. It's not wireless, but it might be a work-around. I haul my Helix board in and out of it's flightcase and yeah, it's a bit of a PITA....BUT I save a lot of time and energy not having to haul an amp to shows, etc.

I sold all my pedals and amps a couple years back and haven't looked back. In fact, I haven't even been tempted by buying an amp or pedal in a looooooong time. I stopped browsing Kijiji/CL, I even cut down my time here on GC. Between the time I'm not lusting after new gear and the money I'm saving on not buying new toys, Helix has probably saved my marriage! :D
There were a number of Helix owners at the event. They all ganged up on me to try to get me to buy the unit lol. There's one in my future :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts