The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Line 6 Catalyst - Anyone?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Hired Goon 
#1 ·
I was thinking of picking up a small solid state combo, and was considering a Boss Katana. In a shop a few days ago, I came across a line 6 catalyst. Didn't have time to try it out, but I was wondering if anyone here has, or owns one. I didn't find any mention of them in a search. It looks from some YouTube videos that it might be a reasonable modern take on what the Katana does.

#3 ·
I tried the Catalyst and found the reverb to be one of the worst sounding I've heard in any amp (as if it was running in front and distorting the signal) and tonally they are not any better than a Katana. I'd stick to the Boss or maybe look at a Yamaha THR if I was buying a modelling amp.

W.

#5 ·
This guy really makes it sound great, but I suspect he could plug his guitar into a toaster and get great tones. The thing I think that would tend to steer me away from the Line 6 amp would be the controls and how you get different sounds. I've never adapted well to devices that require you to hold one button down until it changes colour while turning another knob that does five other things et cetera, et cetera.

I think the sounds are there, but I'm not nuts about what you have to do to extract them.

#6 · (Edited)
Bought the 60w version for my daughter. Was concerned at how light it felt, as generally I equate that with cheap. It's just ok for me. The default reverb is not great but use the USB and get the app to switch it out as there are definitely better ones in there.

If I take my Line 6 Helix Stomp, which should have comparable modeling, and run that into the return of a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe it blows away the Catalyst in terms of fullness, depth, low end, etc. The Catalyst has a bit of that cheap computer speaker sound going on IMO. Lots of bells and whistles though and my daughter likes it.

Reactions: BlueRocker
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.