The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wanted a Marshall 50 watt plexi or 1987x of some sort but the reissues are way too much money. I love them for both huge cleans and boosted awesomeness. Think bridged four holes. I think Traynor made some very similar styled amps so what models should I look for.

There is this one right now, what does it compare to and is that price fair?

Please view this ad:

Traynor,
Traynor | Amps & Pedals | Calgary | Kijiji

Price: $ 550

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
http://goo.gl/Hs9Yg

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts
That Custom Reverb is an awesome amp and a bargain for $550, and it looks to be in great condition. I love mine, however, they are more of a fender super reverb type tone than a Marshall imho. If its a plexi type circuit you want the Traynor yba-1 Bassmaster is the amp you are looking for. They are very close to a jtm45/plexi type circuit and are easily modified. They can still be found in the $500 to $700 range and like all vintage Traynor's, are one of the best bang for the buck on the used amp market.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
I would say you should go for a 1971 or later YBA-1. Sometime in 1970 Peter made changes to the circuit to allow for more high end and slightly more gain, which is arguably just a result of making it a bit brighter, for that 'sizzle'. The simplest way to explain the tonal change is like the difference between Fender (pre 1970) and Marshall (post 1970). Though it is more complicated than that, because either way it is still very much a Traynor sound above all..
I had a 1972 YBA-1 and I loved it. Kept it longer than any Marshall I ever owned (which has been a JMP and several 800's/900's) because at roughly 60 watts, through two power tubes, it was louder than any 100watter Marshall and more reliable.
If you don't mind putting in a bit more money into it, and bastardizing it, you could also get someone knowledgable to change resistor/cap values to basically make it a Marshall JMP, but with a more powerful power section.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
What Brett and Daniel said …

YBA-1 model with Bumper post 1970 since these have EL34 tubes in it. The early versions of the YBA-1 have 6L6 tubes …

I would also recommend the YBA-3 but these sound better then a Plexi… you would need to tame it down...;)

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I like my YCS90 for Marshall-ish tones. It’s got 2-12’s. Would like to hear it through a Marshall 4/12 cab

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I've played through an old 45 watt YBA-1 for about a year back in '13-'14 or so and it was a great sounding amp.
Marketed as a bass amp it didn't have much headroom but sounded good just on the edge.
Good but ultimately not loud enough for a raucous rock 'n roll outfit even through a 215 cab.
Guitar was a different story.
Such a singer, that amp.
Really nice.

I played through a little Dark Horse this morning at the local mom n' pop.
Connected to a 112 cab it had a great clean tone.
Nice and chimey old school Fendery sound.
Not as deep and throaty as a TR but somewhat comparable to a PR.
The low gain drive tone was also very sweet but the high gain settings were a little too grainy for my taste.
Almost fuzz-like, which is fine if a fuzzy sound is your main thing.
Mine isn't. I like old school OD.
I tried it with some pedals; a TS808 and a BOSS SD-1.
They didn't do much to alter the fuzziness.
I thought it was a great blues and classic rock amp though, using the low gain setting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts