The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for a new set of tires for my F150. The truck came with Hankook Dyna Pro and that set was a fabulous set of tires. So I put another set on a few years back and they are kapoots. Not happy. I have some US saved up and will prolly cross over and get a new set but what to buy?

I was always a fan boy for Bridgestone tires. May have to go back to them but there was a set of Yokohama all seasons that caught my eye. Very highly rated by buyers.

I like to buy good all seasons and I have not run snow tires in years.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Personally, I have never liked a summer/all season tire with the word "stone" in the brand name (both owned by the same company). Winter tires are a different matter. But that is all personal experience, YMMV, never had good luck with Uniroyals either. Last time I was shopping for tires, I used this site for their testing, selection, review, and option features.

Find. Deliver. Install.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
as above...try tire rack.com...and save your vehicle in a profile and see what they recommend for your ride. I don't think what they recommend for my Audi sport sedan is likely to be the same as what would be best for your pickup truck. lus, if youre going cross border, I believe they can be shipped to a shop on that side and installed for you there.

It always seemed to me, that for sports cars, Yokos are one of the most expensive tires you can get. Possibly worth it for some but I drive my car like someone who cares about their insurance rates, so likely cant tell the difference. Japanese tires have come a long way. I had a more value priced tire Sumitomo, once, and loved them mich more than any goodyear/bf Goodrich ive had.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
If you are burning through tires, Get the suspension checked.

Tire Wearing problems you can detect from sitting in your driver's seat:
1) Steering wheel:
Vibration while driving. Your steering wheel shudders lightly while driving at normal to highway speeds. This indicates a Tire problem or loose steering component in the front suspension. If you feel the vibration in your seat bottom, generally that means the problem is from the rear of the vehicle. A vibration in the steering wheel while stepping on the break indicates brake failure.

2) Steering Gear wear/slop
While at a full stop or in park at idle, try moving your steering wheel to the left and right with one finger. You do this extremely lightly while having your head out the window looking at your wheels. What you are looking for is how far the steering wheel turns before the wheel move. There is no allowable "Free Play" when moving the steering wheel to moving the wheels, both must happen at the same time. If there is any perceivable free play in the steering gear, it must be adjusted (If any adjustments exist) or replaced or rebuild whichever is applicable.
This mostly applies to Box type steering gears. Rack and pinion systems can have play/looseness but usually is a problem in the column itself rather than the gearing system

Problems that require inspection:

3) Loose components in the suspension.
Most times you will not feel loose ball joints/tie rods, etc until they become so far gone replacement is the only option. Inspect as per manual and replace as necessary

Driver caused problems:

4) Carrying loads
This is a hard one for most people to grasp. when the suspension is set up on a vehicle there's no further adjustments that can be made. When a heavy load is introduced, the back of the vehicle lowers, and the front of the vehicle rises. (cantilever effect) and the alignment angles change. this can cause very abnormal tire wear. It is also why overload systems are available to keep the back of a truck close to the original ride height as possible.

Personally I prefer trailering my heavy loads.

Rotation of tires is very important with vehicle that have 4WD and limited slip differentials. The rear tires don't have the freedom to turn at different speeds during cornering, so the tires scrub on turns and wear faster. They should be rotated every oil change.

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
Time for a new set of tires for my F150. The truck came with Hankook Dyna Pro and that set was a fabulous set of tires. So I put another set on a few years back and they are kapoots. Not happy. I have some US saved up and will prolly cross over and get a new set but what to buy?

I was always a fan boy for Bridgestone tires. May have to go back to them but there was a set of Yokohama all seasons that caught my eye. Very highly rated by buyers.

I like to buy good all seasons and I have not run snow tires in years.
The Hankook Dyna Pro was a great tire but it didn't wear very well when used on the highway - or worse, highway followed by a drive on gravel. I like Hankook tires better than any other brand at the moment. The model I buy is a winter tire but we run them all year around. They are called "Winter I-Pike" or RW11. My wife has had a set of them on her Expedition for 5 years now, and she does a 50km each way commute to work every day. Great snow traction, rain traction, puncture resistance, and they wear forever. Not noisy either.
I don't like Goodyear, they are very lightly built & prone to punctures, sidewall damage, and separation. I find BFG tires are also very prone to separation. Pirelli aren't worth the extra money. Balance problems and poor wet traction. I find Cooper over-priced and they handle "funny". Everything else falls into that "they're ok" category. Michelin is king if you can afford them. $0.02

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a bit of an alignment issue but nothing that went on for too long. It just seems the second set wore much quicker than the first. I think I got them in late 2012 so I guess not bad but not great for the mileage.

I would like to get something with a little more bite in the tread this time around. Without going into winter or off road. There are some in between models that would do the job. Those Cooper tires for example. But I would like to max out at maybe $130 a tire if possible.

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
as above...try tire rack.com...and save your vehicle in a profile and see what they recommend for your ride. I don't think what they recommend for my Audi sport sedan is likely to be the same as what would be best for your pickup truck. lus, if youre going cross border, I believe they can be shipped to a shop on that side and installed for you there.

It always seemed to me, that for sports cars, Yokos are one of the most expensive tires you can get. Possibly worth it for some but I drive my car like someone who cares about their insurance rates, so likely cant tell the difference. Japanese tires have come a long way. I had a more value priced tire Sumitomo, once, and loved them mich more than any goodyear/bf Goodrich ive had.
I'll second using tirerack.com. It was a very useful resource when I went looking for new tires for Maggs' car. Be forewarned though - it can be like seeking the advice on a new amp or pedal - there's a million opinions and reviews and lots that are not in agreement.

With the exchange rate where it's at, is it really worth buying across the ditch still? I ended up buying at Niagara Battery (as I always seem to do) but did my own research and told them what I wanted (Kevin disagreed with me but that's another story).

·
Registered
763 Posts
Just putting in my 2 cents, although not sure how much applies to truck tires. I will never buy Goodyears ever. Two Audis, average driving, one set the tread started breaking up, the other had a belt slip/break. I keep going back to Continentals. I run WinterContacts for winter (duh) and just recently to replace said Badyears, ExtremeContact DWS-06. Super impressed by these so far and the DWS (dry wet snow) while it won't replace the winters, will allow me to switchover later in the fall, and sooner in the spring without worry. We got a couple of snows after I switched and there was little difference with the winter tires. A co-worker put a set on his Merc GLS (21") so they must have them in a suitable load rating.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Well I have the Mickey Thompson Baja STZ on my F-150 but I like a bigger, reasonably aggressive tire. These are kind of boutique and pricy - something maybe only a guitar player would understand.

Depends on what you do with your truck & your priority mostly. Do you tow or haul anything? Are you mostly street? Is it a 4x4 & do you like to 'wheel?

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
Just putting in my 2 cents, although not sure how much applies to truck tires. I will never buy Goodyears ever. Two Audis, average driving, one set the tread started breaking up, the other had a belt slip/break. I keep going back to Continentals. I run WinterContacts for winter (duh) and just recently to replace said Badyears, ExtremeContact DWS-06. Super impressed by these so far and the DWS (dry wet snow) while it won't replace the winters, will allow me to switchover later in the fall, and sooner in the spring without worry. We got a couple of snows after I switched and there was little difference with the winter tires. A co-worker put a set on his Merc GLS (21") so they must have them in a suitable load rating.
We ended up with the Conti DWS as well and they've been excellent.

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll second using tirerack.com. It was a very useful resource when I went looking for new tires for Maggs' car. Be forewarned though - it can be like seeking the advice on a new amp or pedal - there's a million opinions and reviews and lots that are not in agreement.

With the exchange rate where it's at, is it really worth buying across the ditch still? I ended up buying at Niagara Battery (as I always seem to do) but did my own research and told them what I wanted (Kevin disagreed with me but that's another story).
I pick up a small pittance of USD every month through my Google ads and Marnie ads to the pile from the shop so we just store it away for stuff like this. I have not done a lot of research yet to see what the actual price differences are. If it makes sense to go over I will if it's not a lot of difference will just save it for something else

·
Registered
18,581 Posts
I pick up a small pittance of USD every month through my Google ads and Marnie ads to the pile from the shop so we just store it away for stuff like this. I have not done a lot of research yet to see what the actual price differences are. If it makes sense to go over I will if it's not a lot of difference will just save it for something else
You might want to talk to Dave at Queenston Tire on Ontario Street. He knows his tires and is fair to deal with.

Reactions: GuitarsCanada

·
Registered
12,140 Posts
I've had good and bad experiences with Continental but prefer Michelin. I haven't tried a ton of brands, mostly stuff that either Costco or a friends dealership can get me on the cheap and easy.

L

·
0 Posts
Hit the back roads and dirty 'em up a bit before coming back across the border.
Unless, of course, you're the typical Canadian and will declare them. lol.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts