The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My band was over for rehearsal on Sunday night. They were in the basement, and I came down a few minutes later. When I came down the stairs I heard one of the guys say here comes Gary, ask him what happened. So George hands me his les paul and says "what happened to my guitar"? I look at it and the headstock was split. I honestly had no idea what happened. He leaves his guitar on a stand, and doesnt bother taking his guitar home with him. I told him I never touched it, because I have my own guitars to play, and besides, I NEVER touch anyone elses gear. George is one of my dearest friends and I've played in several projects with him. He has always had a hard life and holds down two jobs to make ends meet. This guitar was his "baby". I can't even begin to describe how bad I felt, but because his guitar was left here, it was obviously my responsibility to make things good. I needed to get to the bottom of this because I was really really pissed off. I live alone (happily divorced BTW) so I asked my son Scott, who comes over regularly, if he knew anything about it. "No I didn't touch the guitar" Ya right. Turns out he had a couple of friends over the Thursday before, and sure enough, he emails me yesterday to tell me this. Little bastard. "I know what happened dad, truth is it got knocked off the stand". So now I am really pissed. He should have said something when it happened so I could have delt with it at the time instead of trying to hide it. And I looked pretty stupid in front of the guys denying any knowledge of what happened. So I learned a few things from all of this. 1) in the future, I won't let anyone leave any equipment in the studio 2) My guitars will now be kept in their cases 3) I have taken the house key away from my kid. The guitar will be repaired, and the person who did it will be paying for the repair cost. I did feel a bit better when I searched the net and found some before and after pics for headstock repairs. Here is one link (there are several) that you can look at to see what can be done. http://hometown.aol.co.uk/dalmedoguitars/page28.html. Took it too the Twelfth Fret and it should be ready in a few days. BTW.....dont know if its true (someone can jump in here) but someone was telling me that the necks are actually stronger once they are repaired.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
That looks like a good repair job. I have seen some really bad ones done. The guitar can only be as good as the repair job once something like this happens..............

·
Premium Member
16,682 Posts
Beatles said:
My band was over for rehearsal on Sunday night. They were in the basement, and I came down a few minutes later. When I came down the stairs I heard one of the guys say here comes Gary, ask him what happened. So George hands me his les paul and says "what happened to my guitar"? I look at it and the headstock was split. I honestly had no idea what happened. He leaves his guitar on a stand, and doesnt bother taking his guitar home with him. I told him I never touched it, because I have my own guitars to play, and besides, I NEVER touch anyone elses gear. George is one of my dearest friends and I've played in several projects with him. He has always had a hard life and holds down two jobs to make ends meet. This guitar was his "baby". I can't even begin to describe how bad I felt, but because his guitar was left here, it was obviously my responsibility to make things good. I needed to get to the bottom of this because I was really really pissed off. I live alone (happily divorced BTW) so I asked my son Scott, who comes over regularly, if he knew anything about it. "No I didn't touch the guitar" Ya right. Turns out he had a couple of friends over the Thursday before, and sure enough, he emails me yesterday to tell me this. Little bastard. "I know what happened dad, truth is it got knocked off the stand". So now I am really pissed. He should have said something when it happened so I could have delt with it at the time instead of trying to hide it. And I looked pretty stupid in front of the guys denying any knowledge of what happened. So I learned a few things from all of this. 1) in the future, I won't let anyone leave any equipment in the studio 2) My guitars will now be kept in their cases 3) I have taken the house key away from my kid. The guitar will be repaired, and the person who did it will be paying for the repair cost. I did feel a bit better when I searched the net and found some before and after pics for headstock repairs. Here is one link (there are several) that you can look at to see what can be done. http://hometown.aol.co.uk/dalmedoguitars/page28.html. Took it too the Twelfth Fret and it should be ready in a few days. BTW.....dont know if its true (someone can jump in here) but someone was telling me that the necks are actually stronger once they are repaired.
The Twelfth Fret does good work as do a number of other shops. This is a surprisingly common occurance with Gibsons and the technique for repairing them is well known. I have seen exceptional results.

I myself don't leave guitars on stands unless I'm on stage.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Milkman said:
The Twelfth Fret does good work as do a number of other shops.
When I was there, one of the repairmen told me that David Gilmore has the Twelfth Fret set up his intonation.

·
Premium Member
16,682 Posts
Beatles said:
When I was there, one of the repairmen told me that David Gilmore has the Twelfth Fret set up his intonation.

I'm not surprised. They've been doing guitar repair and set up for a LOOOOONG time. I saw a very similar repair they did to a Gibson LP Standard and because it was a tobacco sunburst they put a brown stain on the repair and blended it out to yellow on the edges.

Cosmetically the repair was invisible and the owner was very happy.

Gibbys don't like to be dropped on the peghead.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
james on bass said:
What are these headstock thingys you guys are talking about?

:p
The headstock is the top of the guitar where the tuning keys are. Have a look at the URL in my earlier post.:)

·
Premium Member
16,682 Posts
Beatles said:
The headstock is the top of the guitar where the tuning keys are. Have a look at the URL in my earlier post.:)

Dude, he was kidding.;)

Steinbergers don't have headstocks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
With the types of glues available now days (urethane's and epoxies)
Small chance the wood will ever crack again in the same place.
It's more the cosmetics and how nice of job they do.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Yep, I did that once to my own Standard at a guitar practise. I had one of those stands that the guitar just basically hangs in by the neck. I was walking away from it, and tripped over my guitar cord and pulled my LP out of the stand. Didn't break the headstock right off, sort of left it hanging together by the top layer of wood. One and only time my bandmates ever saw me cry (LOL!). I fixed it myself with some woodglue and clamps, but years later, it started to show signs of coming apart again, so I got it professionally repaired, and it has been great ever since. The interesting thing about the ordeal was that we were getting ready for a gig and I had no guitar to use, so our bass player, who lived half a block from me at the time, said I could use one of his guitars. When I went over there I was SHOCKED AND AMAZED that not only did he have 3 or 4 electric basses and a nice acoustic one, he had 8 or 9 really nice guitars that I got to choose from. I picked a nice tobacco sunburst strat (this was back around 1980, and I had the feeling that it was an older guitar at the time). The weird thing was that I, being used to my Les, thought the strat sucked, but I would probably think differently now.
-Mikey

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
My cousin, leant an early 80's Takamine electric to my younger brothers. It was a neck through, destroyer-type guitar. They used it a bit, and took bvery good care of it.
My brothers had moved out a few years ago, and dad took it upon himself to lend the guitar to his step grandchildren, they in turn allowing their friends to use it. Needless to say, it was returned with the headstock snapped off. They told my dad it wasn't a big deal since the guitar "was old and ugly". They did a very quick glue and elastic band fixit and gave it back.

My cousin wasn't too impressed when he found out. He hadn't seen the guitar in 6 years or so and probably would have never played it again, but still, pretty shitty. Since it's a neck through, he can't even get/build a new neck for it.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Actually I think the Takamines were all set neck but made to appear neckthru...........

·
Registered
788 Posts
My BC Rich Bitch survived my teens, falling over hundreds of times, punched holes through dry wall with it, neck used as a whammy(almost)...must be a one piece neck, 'cause it's taken a lickin' and it's still tickin' :D

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Accept2 said:
Actually I think the Takamines were all set neck but made to appear neckthru...........
You're probably right. They were pretty inexpensive, but man were they cool looking. Look at them wrong on stage and they went out of tune though.:(

·
Registered
526 Posts
that sucks....

I've broken the headstock on my les paul twice (same thing, tripped on the cable and down it came). it plays fine. shouldn't have anyhing to worry about.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I had one of those Takamines. It was a black GX100. It was actually a great guitar, and stayed in tune just as well as anything else. The pickups kinda sucked though.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Well, the headstock won't be any stronger after it's repaired but if it breaks again it won't be in the same place. Gibson's are notorious for broken necks and headstocks. Sometimes just a light bump at the right place at the right angle is all it takes. I think mahogany is more brittle than maple so the Fenders can handle more wear and tear. The good news is, it usually breaks clean so it's easy to glue back together. My Les Paul got dropped and it split right down through the tuners. The repair has held for the past 17 years. It also builds character!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts