The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find myself becoming more and more interested in the mandolin family of instruments.

I just bought another on E bay and thought I'd start something more than the typical NMD thread.

Here are my toys.

The first one I picked up was a Washburn F style. It would be circa 1980~1985 and came equipped with a transducer (no preamp) which I used for a few soungs each night for quite a few years.

Next I picked up a Godin A8. This is a lovely instrument for stage and seems to like a sound thrashing. It's a nice slab of mahogany with what looks like a spruce top. great electronics.

Then I picked up this Mexican prize, called a Trichordia. Cost me about $80 USD in a market in Guadalajara.
Very chimey and big sounding (twelve strings)

Next would be the weird but very cool Kent electric mando I picked up here on GC (currently my favourite). It's a real player and sounds fantastic both acoustically and amplified, but really comes alive through my guitar rig.

And the latest, for which I'm awaiting delivery, a Taka, made in Japan, looks to be around 1970s, but I'll research a bit.

Looks pretty cool.

So, I showed you mine.....let's see yours.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Rover RM75 with a buddy

·
Premium Member
17,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting F type there Bobb.

I see the fretboard extension but no frets there. That wouldn't bother me at all as I never play that high.

Although, I sometimes play while I'm that high....

Sorry, kids.

It happens.

·
Premium Member
17,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll play along. Here is my '48 Gibson. Not particularly pretty or valuable but the tone is heaven.
Are you shitting me?

I'd give you my left kidney for that beauty. Is that the one we were priveledged to see at the Hard Rock this spring?

Worth it's weight in gold IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,616 Posts
Thank you for the compliment. Not at the Hard Rock. I missed that. I mean as to value it's not a Loar era Mando. But it is pretty sweet for me.
Are you shitting me?

I'd give you my left kidney for that beauty. Is that the one we were priveledged to see at the Hard Rock this spring?

Worth it's weight in gold IMO.

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
Thank you for the compliment. Not at the Hard Rock. I missed that. I mean as to value it's not a Loar era Mando. But it is pretty sweet for me.
I've played a few old Gibsons, including Loars, being lucky enough to have met a few owners. The instruments generally live up to the hype. A friend has an old paddle head one like yours that sounds like choirs of angels, I'd trade almost anything for it.

Nice mandos guys.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Premium Member
17,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Someone did have a very old A type Gibson at the Hard Rock, and was fairly low key about it as well. That's why I thought it might have been you.

I know what you mean about it not being one of the really expensive Gibbies, but to have such an instrument in playable condition is a real treasure IMO.

Thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
Not to highjack the thread but this guy, besides being a great guitar builder, makes a nice bouzouki. Some of you might have seen him at the guitar show in Elmira. I've been lusting after one of his for a while.

Ron Belanger Guitars

Peace, Mooh.

·
Premium Member
17,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not to highjack the thread but this guy, besides being a great guitar builder, makes a nice bouzouki. Some of you might have seen him at the guitar show in Elmira. I've been lusting after one of his for a while.

Ron Belanger Guitars

Peace, Mooh.
No worries Mooh. Bouzoukis and other interesting ethnic instruments are welcome in this thread.

I'm still gassing for a Tsugaru Shamisen (Japanese fretless banjo is as close a description as I can think of).

So many instruments, so little time.

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts

Heiden A. Heiden F. Weber Elite F, 20s Gibson A Jr., 80s Gibson F5, Eastman Giacomel, Laskin Long-Neck Mandolin (Stan Rogers recorded with this one) National Resophonic Mandolin, Martin 5-17T (tenor guitar)
Freaking awesome, just freaking awesome. An acquaintance has a National Reso mandolin too, flame maple, louder than a dimed stack (well, metaphorically), and tone galour. Killer.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Premium Member
17,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For some reason I am unable to see mike MacLeod's pictures.

From the description I'm sure that's my loss.

I came close to grabbing a National resonator mandolin, but the one I was looking at had a bad bow in the neck.

Sounds very interesting though.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow,

Now that's a mandolin room.

Lots of nice instruments there.

Thanks for posting.