The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,073 Posts
What tunings do you guys use?
Mostly open G (low to high, DGDGBD) on the electric. The odd time I'll flatten the second string to Bb to make it open G minor. On the Weissenborn copy I tune down to F simply because the top is distorting and the bridge is twisting forward a bit and the reduced tension seems to help a lot. It actually gives it more growl and acoustic dirt.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Here is a 1954 Double Neck Fender Dual Professional console steel that I took in trade. It was all stock with the original case. I worked on nailing "Sleepwalk" by Santo & Johnny on it.
Here they are playing a triple neck model , same era.

By 1959 when Sleepwalk was a hit, the era of popular insrumental pop songs was ending.
I think I read somewhere that this was the last #1 instrumental hit of the 50's. It was #1 on the charts for two weeks in Sept of 1959.

The strings actually go through the centre of the Boxcar style pick up.
I had to give this steel up later in a trade to get a 1963 Blonde Twin. I do wish I still had it today, however I do still have the Twin. This console steel is a real neat piece of Fender history.

·
Premium Member
11,073 Posts
I don't have one, but I wish I did.

I remember seeing old ones in shops for a few hundred bucks but those days seem to have gone.
Really, they're not hard to make if you're handy. If you're not handy, someone who is could make you one.

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Really, they're not hard to make if you're handy. If you're not handy, someone who is could make you one.
I was actually going to make one. There were some big planks of wood in my dad's garage that were just sitting in the corner for several years that were in good shape that he said I could have, but he ended up using them to weigh down a tarp on a patio set over a winter and they cracked pretty badly. Maybe later I'll have another chance to make one.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
I don't have one, but I wish I did.

I remember seeing old ones in shops for a few hundred bucks but those days seem to have gone.
Me too. I would like to be able the play the real one with pedals. One day I hope to. It is my favourite instrument.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts