The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will soon be getting an epiphone les paul standard, and soon after I want to be changing pickups. I play everything all genres. Heavy metal, blues, clean stuff, classic rock etc.... To do this, Im thinking I need one pickups for hard rock and the other for blues. Would this be the best approach? And what pickups would you guys recommend. As long as it does not cost more then lets say 200 per pickup, I guess its fine.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
SnowBlind said:
I will soon be getting an epiphone les paul standard, and soon after I want to be changing pickups. I play everything all genres. Heavy metal, blues, clean stuff, classic rock etc.... To do this, Im thinking I need one pickups for hard rock and the other for blues. Would this be the best approach? And what pickups would you guys recommend. As long as it does not cost more then lets say 200 per pickup, I guess its fine.
Then you'd be putting $400 worth of pups in a $600 guitar.
Go to the "Guitar Fetish" website and check out GFS pups-very reasonable.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Get ahold of Jon Moore at http://www.tonefordays.com

He's in Ontario, makes great pickups at a great price.

I installed a set in a friend's LP awhile ago. Excellent quality.

Tell Jon what you're looking for and he'll custom wind them for you.

And no, I don't think you need 2 sets.

Do your pots and caps too, that's a pretty cheap upgrade.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Well, after having played my Fralin HB's (regular wind, PAF set) in one of my home made guitars (LP woods, ie, mahogany body and set neck, maple cap, rw board) for about 4 months now, they are amazingly versatile. From clean to very hard rocking OD... I love them.

AJC

·
Registered
698 Posts
The Duncan JB/59 combo is a great all around set that will cover everything in a mahagony fixed bridge guitar. You can get the pair (without the covers) for around $250 retail...probably less.

I have a JB Classic (nickel cover) in my Epi G400, and it turned it into a tone monster. A friend of mine put one in his Les Paul and it kills in that axe also. A little punchier/brighter in the LP, darker/smoother in my SG. Works awesome with the '59 he has in the neck of the LP.

·
Registered
106 Posts
AFAIK the body of Epi Les Pauls are a combination of maple and mahogany, so you have to be a bit careful. I put a Florance Voodoo '59 in the bridge position of my Epi LP goldtop and it's a tad bright sounding, especially with Fenders. I know the pickup doesn't sound bright on its own because it was previously in a '70s Gibson LP and sounded fine.

Neck position I put a WCR Goodwood in, couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
One pickup for rock and one for blues doesn't really work. The neck pickup no matter what you get will be fatter and warmer/darker. You usually use it for lead work. The bridge is more often used for rhythm work with some heavier lead.

I'd recommend either the Darkbursts or Goodwoods. Maybe a Goodwood bridge and a Darkburst neck.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
theelectic said:
AFAIK the body of Epi Les Pauls are a combination of maple and mahogany, so you have to be a bit careful. I put a Florance Voodoo '59 in the bridge position of my Epi LP goldtop and it's a tad bright sounding, especially with Fenders. I know the pickup doesn't sound bright on its own because it was previously in a '70s Gibson LP and sounded fine.

Neck position I put a WCR Goodwood in, couldn't be happier.
Was the Voodoo'59 an AL5? I have AL3s in both neck and bridge on my LPC. If yours is a 5, you can try switching just the magnet, to a 3 or maybe a 2.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jeff Flowerday said:
One pickup for rock and one for blues doesn't really work. The neck pickup no matter what you get will be fatter and warmer/darker. You usually use it for lead work. The bridge is more often used for rhythm work with some heavier lead.

I'd recommend either the Darkbursts or Goodwoods. Maybe a Goodwood bridge and a Darkburst neck.
Ha, I found a link with you talking in another message board about them.
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=52046&highlight=WCR+DarkBursts

·
Registered
274 Posts
dwagar said:
Get ahold of Jon Moore at http://www.tonefordays.com

He's in Ontario, makes great pickups at a great price.

I installed a set in a friend's LP awhile ago. Excellent quality.

Tell Jon what you're looking for and he'll custom wind them for you.

And no, I don't think you need 2 sets.

Do your pots and caps too, that's a pretty cheap upgrade.
I have some being made for me currently, I am absolutely pissing my pants waiting.

·
Registered
106 Posts
dwagar said:
Was the Voodoo'59 an AL5? I have AL3s in both neck and bridge on my LPC. If yours is a 5, you can try switching just the magnet, to a 3 or maybe a 2.
Hmm, good question. I'll have to look into changing the magnets, thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have an epi les paul standard and recently just put a gibson classic 57 in the neck and a 57 plus in the bridge. The tone is great and I get anything from metal to classic rock to blues and jazz.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
My modded 60 Melody Maker has a 57 Classic in the neck. I really like those pickups.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts