The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The hashtag.....#...... many of us older folks grew up calling it a pound sign, but the original, and correct name for it is "Octothorpe", and to me, that sounds way cooler than either of the other two. What do you think? Can we start a new trend by using an old reference?

·
Premium Member
10,925 Posts
what-the-heck-is-a-hashtag-and-why-should-i-care-6-638.jpg

Found online. As a music teacher, the confusion drives me crazy, but no one has ever referred to it as an octothorpe (a word spellcheck doesn't recognize either).

·
Premium Member
8,477 Posts
When I was young, we used to ask, "Anyone wanna play X's and O's and Octothorpes?". Much easier on the tongue than 'Hashtags'.

Octothorpe:willingtosupportyourcause

·
Premium Member
9,690 Posts
Before you end the hashtag stuff, do a google search for a classic internet marketing fail...#askneal.

·
Registered
12,256 Posts
if you're going to end hashtags, i will fully support the idea as long as the very first thing you put a stop to is #metoo

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Since I am neither on f, nor on t, and we now officially live under metrical system in Canada, I now see only one use of the # sign : sharp notes. ;-)

·
Registered
14,546 Posts
I always saw it as the number sign or the sharp sign--depending on the context

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,101 Posts
This thread just proves guitar players are a bunch of stubborn old facks that resist change. :)

Reactions: vadsy

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
The symbol might be called the octothorpe, but the symbol with the word after it is rightfully termed a hashtag. A hashtag isn't just the symbol by itself.

W.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts