The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you sports fans out there, what do you think of this whole mentality around important games?

Especially in hockey, soccer and basketball, there seems to be a mentality that it's ok for a referee not to call infractions in important moments. I think this is stupid. Basically, this concept changes the rules of the game for important moments.

"How could he call a penalty/foul at that time in that important of a game?"
The guy tripped him/fouled him/slashed him etc.

I say: if it's a penalty in the first minute, it should be one in the last minute.

The players decide the game. If the player commits a foul or penalty that hurts their team, that is part of deciding the game and it should be called as such.

·
Premium Member
26,629 Posts
For you sports fans out there, what do you think of this whole mentality around important games?

Especially in hockey, soccer and basketball, there seems to be a mentality that it's ok for a referee not to call infractions in important moments. I think this is stupid. Basically, this concept changes the rules of the game for important moments.

I say: if it's a penalty in the first minute, it should be one in the last minute.

The players decide the game. If the player commits a foul or penalty that hurts their team, that is part of deciding the game and it should be called as such.
I agree, more or less. Having said that, keep in mind that the non-calls you find irritating and inconsistent are occurring towards the end of the game. Given that nearly all games are televised, and being televised means that somebody had to pay for advertising time, as you get near the end of the game, and paid-for time, there is pressure to get the game over with. Additionally, the players are tired and getting sloppy, so infractions are somewhat more forgiveable. Finally, the things that were penalized near the start of the game were meted out partly to set examples and act as deterrents.

So, as much as I would like to see greater consistency too, and have yelled "How could they miss that?" at the TV myself, on many an occasion, I understand that the urge to end the game and broadcast is pretty strong. And although we are accustomed to seeing them stand still when they announce penalties, we tend to forget that refs have to be athletic and are running/skating around throughout the game too, and get tired just like the athletes they are refereeing. If the players are allowed to be sloppy, so are the refs.

·
Registered
10,691 Posts
I don't want refs deciding the game. Unless it is something egregious (ie. a hit from behind) or that gives someone a clear advantage (ie. tripping someone during a race for the puck) then put the whistles away and let the players go at it. I've played hockey at a competitive level (a former teammate played more than 1000 games in the NHL) and always hated it when the refs impacted the game.

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't want refs deciding the game. Unless it is something egregious (ie. a hit from behind) or that gives someone a clear advantage (ie. tripping someone during a race for the puck) then put the whistles away and let the players go at it. I've played hockey at a competitive level (a former teammate played more than 1000 games in the NHL) and always hated it when the refs impacted the game.
That’s my point. Isn’t taking a penalty on the player? The player is still deciding the outcome of the game by committing the infraction. Of course players hate when refs call stuff on them when things are tense, but that’s their job. Refs should call the rules of the game and players should win or lose by those rules.

·
Registered
10,691 Posts
That’s my point. Isn’t taking a penalty on the player? The player is still deciding the outcome of the game by committing the infraction. Of course players hate when refs call stuff on them when things are tense, but that’s their job. Refs should call the rules of the game and players should win or lose by those rules.

But if the rules were strictly enforced it would be nothing but a series of penalties as you can call a penalty on every single play (this is especially true in football).

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But if the rules were strictly enforced it would be nothing but a series of penalties as you can call a penalty on every single play (this is especially true in football).
Then what’s the point of the rules? (And This happens in basketball, too)

·
Premium Member
26,629 Posts
Refs "decide the game" when the rules are inequitably enforced. As much as one appreciates not having the game constantly interrupted, one appreciates the rules being enforced in a balanced manner even more. Or, stated the other way, if people hate the game being interrupted, they absolutely despise and resent when the same infractions in one team get nailed and those on the other team are overlooked. If I'm not mistaken, we treat that as biased refereeing.

jdto's question of "what's the point of the rules?" is a legitimate one. If the rules are equitably enforced at the outset of a game, and refs give the players increasing amounts of tether as the game progresses, after having established the comportment they expect from everyone, making sure they don't give one team more tether than the other, then that's fine and normal. The exception would be when we see tempers flare and open hostility increase over the course of the game, at which point refs are morally obliged to return all players, both teams, to the actual point of the sport, instead of letting it descend into a brawl.

Myself, I've always wondered why broken hockey sticks are allowed to remain on the ice for as long as they are. They're a hazard.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
That was a very, very close game in PIttsburg. Philly had me really worried............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
.that they might score a goal. :D

Reactions: jdto

·
Premium Member
11,530 Posts

I also want the game to be consistent...It shouldn't turn into a free for all in OT or the playoffs. Nor should important games be decided because one team got away with something dirty that they wouldn't have gotten away with at another time. That sends the wrong message and tarnishes the victory.

Reactions: luker0 and jdto

·
Registered
15,747 Posts
If the player commits a foul or penalty that hurts their team, that is part of deciding the game and it should be called as such.
This is the overlooked bit of all this...

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
698 Posts
Based on the title I thought this thread was going to be about Babcock endlessly trying to create the right individual match ups against Boston. A few goals were a direct result of this anxiety that player A should not be out there against player X.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Playoffs are a big stage even for officials. I don't pay to see the refs perform and there are times when they make the game about themselves. In the minors most officials are show casing their skills so they can be noticed and bought up. Make the call but consistency is the main goal.

It's about the teams/players and the game not the refs.

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Playoffs are a big stage even for officials. I don't pay to see the refs perform and there are times when they make the game about themselves. In the minors most officials are show casing their skills so they can be noticed and bought up. Make the call but consistency is the main goal.

I agree with you. It’s about the players and the game, played by the rules of the game, which are enforced by the ref. If we love hockey so much, why would we want the important games to have different rule enforcement?

·
Premium Member
11,530 Posts

Ya the one place I think refs can ease up is face offs....the fake outs, waiting etc is unnecessary. Drop the fucking puck and get the game going.

·
Premium Member
11,530 Posts
The one thing I would like to see refs do more of, is try to reduce the amount of fuckery that goes on within a game...the little cheap shots after a whistle, face washes, extra little cross checks when a guy is down on the ice, etc. It’s all this dirty stuff that they turn a blind eye to, that leads to the bigger cheap shots that result in suspensions and serious injuries. If ref s occasionally handed out an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for needless assholishness, to get dirty players to chill the fuck out for a few mins while setting back their team, they’d be in a better position to control the game and reduce the gratuitous violence and vigilantism that plagues the game.

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The one thing I would like to see refs do more of, is try to reduce the amount of fuckery that goes on within a game...the little cheap shots after a whistle, face washes, extra little cross checks when a guy is down on the ice, etc. It’s all this dirty stuff that they turn a blind eye to, that leads to the bigger cheap shots that result in suspensions and serious injuries. If ref s occasionally handed out an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for needless assholishness, to get dirty players to chill the fuck out for a few mins while setting back their team, they’d be in a better position to control the game and reduce the gratuitous violence and vigilantism that plagues the game.
Yep. Hitting, rough play, physical play, etc are great, but I hate the chippy dirty crap.

·
Registered
15,747 Posts
Yep. Hitting, rough play, physical play, etc are great, but I hate the chippy dirty crap.
That stuff is what they need to get rid of--I hear people complain about fighting--but you can tell how much they actually know about hockey when you bring up the cheap shots & they are not aware of it or concerned about it--no--they just ignore that and go to the fighting...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts