The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit !!.......For the mod , page #2

Hi guy’s !!

I would like to know if some of you like the JCM900 ?,.......I only played one in the 90’s and don’t remember how it sounded.

Some say it’s trash !...some say the Dual Reverb is the worst one ,....some say the SLX is the best 900 of them all etc......and then comes the clipping diode thing but Jubilee’s have them also .!

Johan made a few good demo’s ,....one comparing the 900 to a 800 and one with a vintage 1971 cab loaded with Pre Rolas , must say the 900 through the 71 cab sounds pretty good !

Let me know your thoughts !

·
Premium Member
8,573 Posts
There’s a MKIII for sale here but the price, oye vey...I bought my 50 watter MKIII head for $500 a couple years ago. Not my personal favourite Marshall I’ve owned but very good ... was however my son’s favourite, he likes a little less gain than I do, so I gave it to him.

In case you get one, there’s a trick.....if you don’t use the fx loop, bridge it with a patch cable. I forget the technical explanation, but it sounds BIGGER, and you can hear the difference immediately at any volume.

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There’s a MKIII for sale here but the price, oye vey...I bought my 50 watter MKIII head for $500 a couple years ago. Not my personal favourite Marshall I’ve owned but very good ... was however my son’s favourite, he likes a little less gain than I do, so I gave it to him.

In case you get one, there’s a trick.....if you don’t use the fx loop, bridge it with a patch cable. I forget the technical explanation, but it sounds BIGGER, and you can hear the difference immediately at any volume.
Didn’t know that !!............Tx

·
Premium Member
16,789 Posts

That fx loop trick works for most amps with loops. Its how I used to run my jsx. Essentially you get the full power of the amp. Not jumpering is a great way to keep the volume reasonable too.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
I've never understood the 900 hate. Seems like the prices on these have gone way up in the last few years so maybe the stink is washing off these amps with time. I've never owned one but have played quite a few hi gain dual reverbs and always thought they sounded great. I should have bought one years ago when they were all over kijiji for 500-600 bucks.
I think a lot of the original stigma came from the diode clipping circuit. People said it was fizzy, can of bees tone etc. Any high gain amp I've played can get that can of bees tone if you want it to. Usually I've found it's a problem with not being loud enough and scooping all the midrange out as opposed to a problem with design. We all know the jubilees and 2210's have diode clipping and they didnt seem to get the same hate for not being "all tube"

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I've read that the 900's are bad for their FX loop connections failing...best advice I have read is to always keep a cable in it...it can't fail if theres a cable in it permanently

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've got a mkiii 2100 model and while it's not my favourite Marshall, it still sounds great and I'm not likely to sell it any time soon. I picked it up about 3 years ago for $500. It's a darker character and more gain than a JCM800 2203/2204, and nowhere near as loud. The 900's have voice of their own in the Marshall line up. I don't experience the "can of bees" tone with it. It's got killer crunch and can melt faces. I've played 4100 Dual Reverb's, and they aren't bad either. But I found the tone to be smoother with the 2100. I've not tried an SLX, but I'd like to.

And I as well jumper the effects loop.

I like this video comparing three JCM900 models.

·
Registered
22 Posts
One thing to consider when valuing used tube amps is condition.
The cheapest 100 watt used Marshall head I ever purchased was $ 600.00 and I had to put $ 600.00 in parts and repairs in to it to get it up to 100%.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
I've said it before but, you can pretty much just forget about Channel B (lead, with clipping diodes) and crank Channel A (what most people use as a clean channel) and you'll get a JCM 800 type tone with a little bit less gain. Just use a boost for more gain

Regarding the loop: the bypass circuit is crappy. Patch a cable, mess with the loop volume knob and you can find a sweet spot

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've said it before but, you can pretty much just forget about Channel B (lead, with clipping diodes) and crank Channel A (what most people use as a clean channel) and you'll get a JCM 800 type tone with a little bit less gain. Just use a boost for more gain

Regarding the loop: the bypass circuit is crappy. Patch a cable, mess with the loop volume knob and you can find a sweet spot
I’ve read that they are some easy mods to remove the diodes in the preamp statge .

Also , never thought Robin Trower used those
on this tour !

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
I have used JCM900s live many times, mainly 4100 heads and both channels are awesome once the amp is cranked. Many people use an OCD or a Tubescreamer into a valve amp so what is the difference? They are fantastic workhorse amps.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts

So, you mean do not use Ch2 as it uses clipping diodes but use Ch1 ....with a boost!!! Haha!

The effects loops are also good but tend to get fugunk up. If you clean the jacks often then you should get a nice sounding loop.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts