The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got my eye on one...I know they are chambered, and 490/498 pups, and essentially a Studio model...but...has anyone here got one or spent time with one?
looking for some thoughts before I send a kijiji message...
what's a solid value for one...2015-2016 models

·
Premium Member
16,810 Posts
They're essentially studios, so they are probably fine. Try before you buy. $750-950 in good condition with hard case i'd imagine. The used price went up when the street price did unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I got a new 60's tribute back in 2013...
The guitar has the nicest neck of any guitar I own and with a few mods it made itself a definite keeper.
Original guitar
Gibson - Les Paul Studio '60s Tribute - Satin Ebony

Obviously mine is not Ebony but this is what it looks like now.
If you can find one of these 60s tributes, it would be well worth looking into.
Good luck with your quest.
G.
DSC05644s.jpg

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I think they play like dogs like all Gibsons with out the binding on the neck. Find a good EPI if you want something in that price range or lower if you want playability. EPI Les Paul standard pro is a good one to check out.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I really like the chambered bodies, increased resonance with decreased weight, great combo! The P90 pickups are really good too.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
coming out of vacay mode...
found two that I love, but neither would budge on their asking price
guess I'll be responsible and wait...

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have the 2017 Tribute T in satin gold. Similar, but different, with 490T and 490R pickups and a natural (instead of painted black) back.

You get a lot for your money in the Tribute line...American-made that compares really favourably with the best imports out there (including Godin, which is saying something). I just wish I liked humbuckers. I would love this exact guitar with P90's in it...which they USED to do, previous to 2017.

The setup was perfect, right out of the box...nut height, PLEK'd neck, bridge break angle, pickup height...everything. I've never had a stock guitar that didn't need some fiddling. It saves big money in the right places...binding, filler and lacquer.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much are you looking to spend? I think a buddy had one he was selling.
Whats funny is...a guy sent me a private message offering me his...pretty cool forum...

Based on the price window above...I'm below it until another guitar sells...unless he wanted to be below the window too

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Whats funny is...a guy sent me a private message offering me his...pretty cool forum...

Based on the price window above...I'm below it until another guitar sells...unless he wanted to be below the window too
I lucked out and got one of those bananas best buys deals on mine by chance.
If you are looking cheaper again, try out one of th lpjs. I got one used for about 400 bucks, gutted the pcb and swapped pickups with some that I had. it tends to find it's way back to being my guitar that is out of its case more often than not and it is one of my cheapest guitars.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
I bought one of the gold tops with p90’s.
Very decent guitar.
Was more of a novelty for me as I wanted to play with some p90s for a while.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
I think they play like dogs like all Gibsons with out the binding on the neck. Find a good EPI if you want something in that price range or lower if you want playability. EPI Les Paul standard pro is a good one to check out.

how does the lack of binding negatively affect playability? i don't see how that makes any sense at all. for me personally,, i prefer satiny nitro feeling necks over the epihone poly any day. when my hands sweat, or the guitar gets warm, the poly gets sticky. on top of that, if you ever decide to sell, you'll never see a decent roi for the epi. anyone who says otherwise is full of shit.
don't get me wrong, epi makes a decent guitar. but the standard epi LP better than the gibby tribute? not when the gibby has better pickups and guts. the gibby has a better quality bridge, too. and slightly better tuners. oh, and it also comes with a better case, and better strap buttons.

·
Premium Member
16,810 Posts
... 490/498's are not great pickups. They're hot and the bridge is capable of distorting clean amps with ease. The epi's he mentioned may actually sound better as their pickups should be more in the PAF realm. I remember getting a little breakup out of my JSX with my LP studio, and the JSX clean's aren't supposed to break up haha.

That said, try the epi LP anyway. While you already know you don't like the neck finish (which is why you won't buy one) you may find you prefer the actual tone a bit more.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Different strokes for different folks. Epi standard pro is different than the older standards. $740 L&m. Gibson Les Paul Standards have binding and just play far better than the studio's on down the line. The frets are almost square edge. Its in the hands for me, not the manual.

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
For all of you who aren't satisfied with your Tributes I'll take them off your hands for $500 all day long. I don't give two hoots about binding and bling. I've played a few Tributes, some needed a bit of fret work because they had been sitting in a warehouse for a long time, but once setup they were the equal of most Gibsons I've played. I actually prefer the lower priced Gibsons. They play and sound great and you don't have to worry about getting a scratch on your pretty guitar. For me guitars are meant to be played, in public, so others can enjoy then as well. Every time I've had an expensive guitar I've been afraid to play it live for fear it will get damaged and lose it's value. All I want is a well made guitar that sounds good and is easily maintainable by me.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I noted there's a discussion on the Epi vs the Gibby. A friend brought his brand new Epi LP Custom Pro over the other day for me to check out. It played fantastically out of the box, action was close to perfect out of the box, and no real issues noted in the time I checked it. It was very cursory though. The one GLARING issue I had is that when I check the Pots (Push/Pulls but I did not know it at the time I checked) is that the knobs are a total bone job. One of my first tests was to pull the Volume knob to see how solid in place they were. Knob came right off in my hand. It looked and felt like a cheap plastic knob with no twines to even adhere to the split shaft. Stuck it back on. After he left, I went into my guitar room and there on the floor was one of his knobs. Must've fallen right off when he grabbed the guitar to go. I expected a hell of a lot more than that from a $700 + brand new Epi to tell you the truth. I know it's a very minor detail very easily corrected by getting proper knobs, but really? It just rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. IMO little things like that make a difference. It's such a minor QC check that it should never have left the factory with those knobs.

SOrry for going OT.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I lucked out and got one of those bananas best buys deals on mine by chance.
If you are looking cheaper again, try out one of th lpjs. I got one used for about 400 bucks, gutted the pcb and swapped pickups with some that I had. it tends to find it's way back to being my guitar that is out of its case more often than not and it is one of my cheapest guitars.
i got my Voodoo for $500...hoped for about the same...i can wait...maybe when it doesn't sell, he'll entertain the offer again...

... 490/498's are not great pickups. They're hot and the bridge is capable of distorting clean amps with ease. The epi's he mentioned may actually sound better as their pickups should be more in the PAF realm. I remember getting a little breakup out of my JSX with my LP studio, and the JSX clean's aren't supposed to break up haha.
the pickups would most likely go...maybe a JB set...or Thornbuckers...not a today problem though...

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I have noticed more than the usual amount of 2016 models put on special at pretty steep discounts at MF and GC. It seems there may be a lot of overstock at Gibson or these large online retailers. Is this just me or has anyone else noticed the same thing?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts