The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you want the sound and the feel, a Studio can be made to feel/sound as good as Standard. If you want to keep the resale value at a higher level, and have the pride in owning the real deal, Standard.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Dark red/black plastics - very nice set-up and colours! Play it in good health.

I meant pix taken of the inside of the guitar, with the back control plate removed, so one can see the hollowed out areas to which you referred. :)
Can’t see it. It‘s hollowed out before they put the cap on. If you tap on the top/back you can hear where it’s hollow underneath.

Pretty sure the Studio of this era were chambered.

·
Registered
606 Posts
If you want the sound and the feel, a Studio can be made to feel/sound as good as Standard. If you want to keep the resale value at a higher level, and have the pride in owning the real deal, Standard.
Resale value is a much misunderstood concept based on the notion that if you pay more up front then you get more back at resale. Unfortunately when you figure it on a rational percentage basis that's just not so. If I buy a new Studio for $1600 and sell it at ta 30% loss I lose $480. On the other hand If I buy a new Standard for $2700 and then sell it at a 30% loss I lose $810. Given that we agree that the Studio is an equal guitar in all aspects other than cosmetics on a percentage of loss basis I fail to see how the Standard has a better return on investment than the Studio. I guess what I'm saying is that it all depends on how much you're willing to lose for bragging rights and those strips of plastic binding.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Resale value is a much misunderstood concept based on the notion that if you pay more up front then you get more back at resale. Unfortunately when you figure it on a rational percentage basis that's just not so. If I buy a new Studio for $1600 and sell it at ta 30% loss I lose $480. On the other hand If I buy a new Standard for $2700 and then sell it at a 30% loss I lose $810. Given that we agree that the Studio is an equal guitar in all aspects other than cosmetics on a percentage of loss basis I fail to see how the Standard has a better return on investment than the Studio. I guess what I'm saying is that it all depends on how much you're willing to lose for bragging rights and those strips of plastic binding.
While ^ is valid, I missed including a point in my post that I had in mind, that is a resale value of a used instrument, vs a new one. The Standard LPs, USA Strats etc are pretty much keeping the same price (more or less adjusted for inflation) once dropping to the second hand market, provided the cosmetics/condition is kept as was when bought. The market is not so stable in the used Studios, Epiphones, MIM Strats etc...

Personally, I would never buy a brand spanking new guitar in store, if the same model is available secondhand... OK, never is a bit harsh, I would buy it if the 30% loss was not important to me financially...

·
Registered
606 Posts
While ^ is valid, I missed including a point in my post that I had in mind, that is a resale value of a used instrument, vs a new one. The Standard LPs, USA Strats etc are pretty much keeping the same price (more or less adjusted for inflation) once dropping to the second hand market, provided the cosmetics/condition is kept as was when bought. The market is not so stable in the used Studios, Epiphones, MIM Strats etc...

Personally, I would never buy a brand spanking new guitar in store, if the same model is available secondhand... OK, never is a bit harsh, I would buy it if the 30% loss was not important to me financially...
Point taken.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts