The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Not sure. Mine’s a 2009 and I’m pretty sure it’s the 1 giant chamber design.
And that's the thing about the Studio... so many variations over the years. In the early 90s the 'variations' were they came in red, black or white, with ebony fretboards on the white and sometimes on the others. That was it. Maybe gold or chrome trim. All were a gloss finish too.

But there was also that light weight series with balsa wood cores, and the Gems in different finishes and pickups.

Frankly, I think good 100 page book could be written covering just the LP Studio variations over the years.

·
Premium Member
18,745 Posts
Swiss cheese til 2008 then they changed the chambering. Can still find a heavier one...

·
Registered
604 Posts
The only real world difference between the Standard and the Studio given the same pick ups is approx $1000 for plastic binding. Spiff up a Studio with a 5 ply guard, some custom knobs and upgraded tuners and it can be a pretty good looking guitar.

Musical instrument Guitar Guitar accessory String instrument Wood

On the other hand my Studio came with a poorly done lacquer finish that I had to have my tech buff out where as my Agile had perfect fit and finish, better cosmetics and after changing out the pick ups for a nice set of Duncans it outshines the Studio by a landslide. Standard over Studio you waste +- a grand. Studio over Agile with upgrades you waste another +- a grand. I'm telling you strait up if you can get over the obsessive compulsive head stock syndrome that so many suffer from you can end up with a great LP and save yourself thousands.

Musical instrument Guitar Musical instrument accessory Guitar accessory String instrument accessory

·
Premium Member
11,638 Posts
And that's the thing about the Studio... so many variations over the years. In the early 90s the 'variations' were they came in red, black or white, with ebony fretboards on the white and sometimes on the others. That was it. Maybe gold or chrome trim. All were a gloss finish too.

But there was also that light weight series with balsa wood cores, and the Gems in different finishes and pickups.

Frankly, I think good 100 page book could be written covering just the LP Studio variations over the years.
I have an early 90's Studio and it has a crazy lemon flame top on it. Gold hardware and ebony board. And yes, very glossy...like a candy apple lol. Might be the only thing Im not crazy about.
Its one of the few guitars I will probably never sell. With the Suhr Aldrich pups I put in it, its nearly perfect (a bit heavy but I kind of like that sometimes).

Reactions: tomee2

·
Premium Member
11,638 Posts
You could try to find one of these;
View attachment 383406
A Studio Standard from the mid eighties. Sort of a mix of studio and standard appointments.
i had a room mate who had one of those. At first glance it looked like a typical LP...then you noticed the dot inlays.
Jaw Ear Art Facial hair Event

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
I thought there was a version with body binding but a different fretboard. Is the body thinner or same as a Standard?
And recently they did some with neck binding but unbound body.
this one has an ebony board and it’s about 1 3/4” thick.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
i had a room mate who had one of those. At first glance it looked like a typical LP...then you noticed the dot inlays.
when I bought it all I knew about Les Pauls was their general shape. I had no idea how thick they were or what kind of fret markers they had. Never mind ABR-1/volute/pancake etc. In a way, ignorance is bliss.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Jeez, I like that. Looks like there's some intelligent thought into this. This stupid thread is giving me ideas, damn-it. Anyone know what this weighs? Even Gibson's website is vague about it.

Guitar accessory Wood String instrument accessory Font Musical instrument accessory

·
Premium Member
11,638 Posts
when I bought it all I knew about Les Pauls was their general shape. I had no idea how thick they were or what kind of fret markers they had. Never mind ABR-1/volute/pancake etc. In a way, ignorance is bliss.
They’re every bit as good as any LP, I’m sure. don’t see them often,
my roommate loved his. But I remember him turning up his nose at my studio for not having binding…so I had to dig back at him for not having proper inlays :)

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
The heart wants what the heart wants. The gist of this thread is; studio versus standard. On a recording the guitars might sound the same, with your eyes there might be a difference. I am more of the mindset to own one of each :)

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
So I'm seriously considering an LP. I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me what my advantages are to spring for a standard over the studio? If it is only aesthetics then I'd likely go with a studio as appearance means the least to me. Bu if there is a quality difference or tone difference then maybe I'd have more to think about.
As for appearance I think the smoke burst and the red wine look beautiful.
I'm leaning towards the red wine.

So I'm seriously considering an LP. I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me what my advantages are to spring for a standard over the studio? If it is only aesthetics then I'd likely go with a studio as appearance means the least to me. Bu if there is a quality difference or tone difference then maybe I'd have more to think about.
As for appearance I think the smoke burst and the red wine look beautiful.
I'm leaning towards the red wine.

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·

·
Registered
326 Posts
Dark red/black plastics - very nice set-up and colours! Play it in good health.

I meant pix taken of the inside of the guitar, with the back control plate removed, so one can see the hollowed out areas to which you referred. :)
Here are a few of the LP weight relief options. I think there were a few more too. I'm not sure if they were model specific though

41 - 60 of 72 Posts