The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,323 Posts
I'm expecting to see a capital gains tax for equity in music instruments anytime soon.
You'll probably even see the taxman show up at your local yard sale someday too.

Reactions: Wardo

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
That is completely false. There are a very few all Mahogany studios, but most studios have a maple cap. The only difference in the wood between an average studio and an average standard is the grade of the maple top and slightly thicker body in the standard.
On mine, with the thickness, it's the mahogany that is thinner, the maple cap is the same thickness as a Standard.

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Studios are now about $2200 with taxes. Seeing lots of used on kijiji for quite a bit less.

I will pay $2,025 for a les paul studio. I only pay 5% tax.
This is an example of prices I've seen on kijiji. $1,900. Although I now see some much cheaper. However I've since found that I can't get the Studio with a 50's profile neck so Standard may be the way for me to go. Since I'll have to come up with more money for a standard I'll have to wait a bit.

Here is an example of used prices for standards on Kijiji $2,600 for this gold top. Same guitar at L&M is $2,999. Close enough I may as well buy new.

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
Look for a 50's Tribute Studio with P-90s they're not hard to find (if you dig P-90s). There are a few other studios with 50s necks if you dig a bit. The one with the pinstripes has a giant neck I can't recall the model but was made in the last 10 years or so.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Look for a 50's Tribute Studio with P-90s they're not hard to find (if you dig P-90s). There are a few other studios with 50s necks if you dig a bit. The one with the pinstripes has a giant neck I can't recall the model but was made in the last 10 years or so.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
I'd be looking for humbuckers. Burstbuckers or maybe classic 57 would be nice.

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
Aesthetics and neck profile. Studios at least used to be the '59 profile only found on the LP custom, whereas standards have 50s fat or 60s slim.
Standards use better quality wood, have binding, have higher grade tops, and have better electronics (pickups).

Dont forget about traditionals either.

Classics are great too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I will pay $2,025 for a les paul studio. I only pay 5% tax.
This is an example of prices I've seen on kijiji. $1,900. Although I now see some much cheaper. However I've since found that I can't get the Studio with a 50's profile neck so Standard may be the way for me to go. Since I'll have to come up with more money for a standard I'll have to wait a bit.

Here is an example of used prices for standards on Kijiji $2,600 for this gold top. Same guitar at L&M is $2,999. Close enough I may as well buy new.

Theres a few listings here for Les Pauls in the classifieds:

·
Premium Member
18,745 Posts
Standards use better quality wood, have binding, have higher grade tops, and have better electronics (pickups).
Electronics are subjective - those same pickups in a studio are (were?) found in the les paul custom as well. People also love to swap pickups.

The big thing is the binding and the figured tops, really.

Ive tried a few LP's, I cant substantially say a studio has lesser quality wood over a standard.

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
He’ll have a bit more trouble trying them out as the OP’s a left hander. I suggested he still try the necks on right-handed guitars as he won’t be able to play them but could get a feel for the neck.

·
Premium Member
18,957 Posts
He’ll have a bit more trouble trying them out as the OP’s a left hander. I suggested he still try the necks on right-handed guitars as he won’t be able to play them but could get a feel for the neck.
@guitarman2 ? Not that I remember from admiring his amazing playing of several acoustics at our local music store.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
"Studio" means so many different guitars over the past 30 years I would think it's hard to generalize them.
that's an important thing to point out.

i have a 2014 studio pro. the pro part is pointless now because they all come with push pull pots now, afaik.
mine has a 60's slim taper neck with a compound radius board, i like it alot. it has the modern weight relief, which i absolutely love. it's lighter than my strat but sustains like a bell. it rings forever. it came with a 57 classic in the neck, and a bb pro in the bridge. it's a decent pick up, but not my favorite, so i changed it. generally, the guitar plays great, and sounds fantastic. the light weight is wonderful in the rehearsal studio. it also looks good. the top is on the plain side, but still nice. it came with a nice hard case. when i bought it, i looked at dozens of les pauls from standards and classics to regular studios. i had the money to buy any of them. i chose the one i have because it checked all the boxes for me, including price. at the time, it msrp'd for $1550, but i paid far less due to a lucky connection i had at l&m at that time.

·
Registered
426 Posts
It’s already been mentioned, but Studios are thinner and mine has a 4 piece back. They’re also almost completely hollowed out, which makes them extremely light. This could be a positive or a negative, depending upon your point of view. Being hollow doesn’t make it sound worse, but it does make it sound different.

I don’t have a Standard to compare it to, but my other LP is an R9 and in all honesty I think the Studio holds its own.

My studio has a fatter neck than the R9. Probably the same thickness, but wider shoulders with more of a 50’s U shaped profile vs 50’s rounded.

My only caveat is that the fretwork on mine has been maintained and is immaculate, and a previous owner replaced the stock bridge with a Faber ABR1 and aluminium tailpiece. The fretwork in particilar shows what a little TLC can do to make a budget guitar perform like something that costs a lot more.

·
Premium Member
18,745 Posts
It’s already been mentioned, but Studios are thinner and mine has a 4 piece back. They’re also almost completely hollowed out, which makes them extremely light. This could be a positive or a negative, depending upon your point of view. Being hollow doesn’t make it sound worse, but it does make it sound different.

I don’t have a Standard to compare it to, but my other LP is an R9 and in all honesty I think the Studio holds its own.

My studio has a fatter neck than the R9. Probably the same thickness, but wider shoulders with more of a 50’s U shaped profile vs 50’s rounded.

My only caveat is that the fretwork on mine has been maintained and is immaculate, and a previous owner replaced the stock bridge with a Faber ABR1 and aluminium tailpiece. The fretwork in particilar shows what a little TLC can do to make a budget guitar perform like something that costs a lot more.
When did they start chambering again in general? I sold my 04 due to weight (and that sent me down this path of dozens of guitars...)

·
Registered
426 Posts
When did they start chambering again in general? I sold my 04 due to weight (and that sent me down this path of dozens of guitars...)
Not sure. Mine’s a 2009 and I’m pretty sure it’s the 1 giant chamber design.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts