The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm seriously considering an LP. I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me what my advantages are to spring for a standard over the studio? If it is only aesthetics then I'd likely go with a studio as appearance means the least to me. Bu if there is a quality difference or tone difference then maybe I'd have more to think about.
As for appearance I think the smoke burst and the red wine look beautiful.
I'm leaning towards the red wine.

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
This is a big question but I think generally speaking if you closed your eyes, and each guitar had the same pickups, you wouldn't notice much difference. Questions of weight relief, neck profile, and electronics are more important than binding, flamed tops, locking tuners, etc. That said, although I own a studio it is not my favorite Les Paul. It sounds a lot like my Custom, but not quite. And it feels different.

If you're only going to get one, I certainly wouldn't look at any of the recent Studios as the price people ask used is ridiculous. You could easily find a Studio around $1000 - $1200 that will do the Les Paul thing for you (I have one in wine red if you can't find one). If you really dig the push / pull pots, coil splitting, out of phase sounds the Classic is the best bang for your buck (last five years or so). Otherwise, it's hard to go wrong with a Standard (except 2008, 2014, and 2015 - just my opinion). The new (2019 +) standards are a cut above what came before in both quality and appointments (electronics).

·
Premium Member
18,745 Posts
Aesthetics and neck profile. Studios at least used to be the '59 profile only found on the LP custom, whereas standards have 50s fat or 60s slim.

Dont forget about traditionals either.

·
Registered
15,866 Posts
Best thing is to play both--they can feel different (As mentioned above) and sound different--also mentioned.
These things may make a difference to you or not.

When I bought an Ibanez AF95, there was a lower model the AF75--and there were aesthetic differences--but they did feel different & played differently--at least to me.

Reactions: Mike_Blaszk

·
Registered
419 Posts
Agreed, nothing like trying them both and that's very easy to do - they are everywhere.

Studios used to be an open secret of one of the best guitar values you can get. On par with a Standard in just about every way - though I agree they do feel different. That secret is split wide open now as new Studio prices have hit the roof. An Epiphone Studio is currently priced at what I was paying for a Gibson Studio not all that long ago. But a Gibson Studio is still worth it used.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Objectively there’s little difference between a studio and a standard. Appointments are different, but they come from the same factory. My studio is by far my number one. I have four Les Pauls, including a special, and the studio is it. The only difference is it’s lighter, other than that I wouldn’t know which I’m playing. Tributes, traditionals, and standards are cut from the same cloth. Ymmv.

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I've done a bit of research and it looks like you can only get the studio with a slim taper neck. I would definitely need the 50's profile. I'll be buying brand new only. I had a look on Kijiji at the prices and they're out to lunch. Many asking as much or more than what the new price is. So I won't be bothering with the used market.
I'm wondering about possibly waiting till April for Gibson month but don't know if that will benefit me at all. Long and McQuade does have some used available but I'll have to wait till Tuesday to call the stores for details.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Best thing is to play both--they can feel different (As mentioned above) and sound different--also mentioned.
These things may make a difference to you or not.

When I bought an Ibanez AF95, there was a lower model the AF75--and there were aesthetic differences--but they did feel different & played differently--at least to me.
I also recommend this. Before I bought my 2019 Les Paul Standard I played a 2017 Les Paul Standard, 2018 Les Paul Standard, 2x2019 Les Paul Standards, a 2013 Les Paul Custom, 2017 Les Paul Custom, a 2020 Les Paul Standard 50s, 2020 Les Paul Standard 60s and 2020 Les Paul Modern. They all sounded different, looked different, felt different to play and most had different features. If you're unable to try them (I know sometimes this isn't an option), then I'm sure you'll get a quality instrument either way, but testing them out in-store is ideal. You'll likely gravitate to one over the other and will be able to better judge if the additional cost is worth it for you.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Pickups are also different. 498t and 490n in a Studio and I think it's Burstbuckers in the Standard.

I had a 2008 wine red Studio once. I really liked the 50's neck profile and the weight relief. I disliked the stock pickups and the wiring harness. I think the pots were 300k if I remember correctly, which made everything a bit too muddy in my opinion. I had PAF type pickups and 50's wiring installed and I felt it really brought the guitar to life.

But don't quote me, because I have no business talking about Les Pauls. 😁

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
Well I've done a bit of research and it looks like you can only get the studio with a slim taper neck. I would definitely need the 50's profile. I'll be buying brand new only. I had a look on Kijiji at the prices and they're out to lunch. Many asking as much or more than what the new price is. So I won't be bothering with the used market.
I'm wondering about possibly waiting till April for Gibson month but don't know if that will benefit me at all. Long and McQuade does have some used available but I'll have to wait till Tuesday to call the stores for details.
L&M currently have 12 months no interest on Gibson, and the 50's standards are on sale sort of

Musical instrument String instrument Guitar accessory String instrument accessory Font

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
There's a big difference. Binding on the neck is aesthetic to a degree, but fret nibs vs no nibs is a difference in feel. Especially if you buy from l&m you can bet the studio will have some fret sprout or sharp fret edges vs the LPs with nibs. Ceramic vs alnico pups is also a pretty substantive difference. I like Gibson ceramic pups but they're not the classic LP sound. Studio is thinner (body) vs the "real" LPs, which will be a difference in weight and feel (maybe tone, but I'm not really in that camp). You can address some of the differences afterwards (pup swap, fret file etc) but you've put money into the studio to get closer to an out of the box standard/classic/traditional. YMMV.

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,600 Posts
Whatever you do, do it before the next round of prices increases. I see 2012 D18s selling used for more than I paid for mine new in 2012. I'm expecting to see a capital gains tax for equity in music instruments anytime soon.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Studios are now about $2200 with taxes. Seeing lots of used on kijiji for quite a bit less.
Wow, haven't checked in a while, that's completely right. But truthfully, IMO Gibson has priced them closer to what they're really worth - they're that good (if they still make them as good as the one I owned).

I see one or two used in my area for $1,100, that's roughly what I sold mine for. One for sale has 2 P90s.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don’t discount the Tribute - if you can find one. They’re kinda the new Studio, I think. I went hunting with a budget of $3,500, and tried many different LP models at a few different stores. To me, the neck profile of the Tribute fit me better (they call it round, but it’s not as deep as some). Ultra modern weight relief, 490R and 490T pickups sounded better than others to me too. It’s got a maple neck with rosewood board, and it had the best neck fit and finish of the bunch. Great vibrations from the maple neck too. Satin nitro finish all over and there’s no binding But the maple cap on the mahogany body gives it a natural binding look. It’s not for the purists, but to me it felt and sounded better than any other LP I played (short of a custom shop) over the course of a few weeks. Bonus is they are only $1,599 Cdn new.

Edit - added pic.
Bag Sleeve Waist Wood Musical instrument accessory

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Check out the tributes mines a 2018 and its a great guitar for the money !

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
Unless I missed it in one of the previous posts, one of the large differences would be that the Studio is all mahogany and the std’s have a maple cap.
That is completely false. There are a very few all Mahogany studios, but most studios have a maple cap. The only difference in the wood between an average studio and an average standard is the grade of the maple top and slightly thicker body in the standard.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts