The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has a good reference for a place to order pick up rings - I have a 1971 Custom with a cracked (stock) ring in the next position. Thinking of ordering aftermarket metal/gold colored rings - curved bottom required - lots of options on line, though I'm reading horror stories about having to bend plastic rings, and pre-curved metal rings that don't fit very well - anyone had experience with this?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
54 Posts
thanks for the great info - bluesician, did those stew-mac rings have the right curve in them?

·
Registered
14,948 Posts
When I got new ones for my Les Paul --a long time ago-the curved ones were easy to find--then more recently when I was modding my LP Copy I couldn't find curved ones--so I bought the straight ones and using an exacto knife and file I added my own curve--didn't do it perfectly--but got it close.

Of course metal ones would be more difficult--and also more costly if you mess up

·
Registered
102 Posts
The Stew-Mac rings are not pre-curved but the bottom surface of the rings (the part that touches the body of the guitar) have a taper to it to mate with a Les Paul body profile...the top surface stays flat.

Make sure you order humbucker rings that are tapered (plastic or metal). The ones for flat bodies will not work.

·
Registered
14,948 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
hey thanks for the input! I found a site called 'guitar parts factory' that sells these gold/metal/archtop-LesPaul/in pairs/with screws...too good to be true? Placed my order yesterday ....I'll post again when they arrive....thanks!
Jim

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
hey thanks for the input! I found a site called 'guitar parts factory' that sells these gold/metal/archtop-LesPaul/in pairs/with screws...too good to be true? Placed my order yesterday ....I'll post again when they arrive....thanks!
Jim
Jim, is that this site?
Guitar Metal Humbucker Rings

This fellow has great service and shipping is quick. Mostly re-sells Allparts stuff, along with genuine Fender parts along with a good selection of pickups.

The rings will likely come in the original Allparts packaging.

·
Registered
54 Posts
yes, that's the site - tracking info says the rings should be here early next week .... i'll post pics :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Les Paul pickup rings - saga continues - finally got my rings from the USA - ordered in January - tracking showed them entering Canada in January - finally reached my mail box March 1st! And they are significantly taller than the original ones! Darn it----I'll have to take some dremel lessons and shave them down. I did install them anyway - just to see - funny, too - they came with new gold screws, and two of the screw heads just twisted off as I was installing them into the mahogany body (screws made out of cheese ? or something very soft anyway!)
So i'll take the guitar apart again and modify the new rings .....

·
Registered
241 Posts
Les Paul pickup rings - saga continues - finally got my rings from the USA - ordered in January - tracking showed them entering Canada in January - finally reached my mail box March 1st! And they are significantly taller than the original ones! Darn it----I'll have to take some dremel lessons and shave them down. I did install them anyway - just to see - funny, too - they came with new gold screws, and two of the screw heads just twisted off as I was installing them into the mahogany body (screws made out of cheese ? or something very soft anyway!)
So i'll take the guitar apart again and modify the new rings .....
James, just a word of caution, if you use a Dremel to shorten them, just be careful to keep things level... You don't want a wavy bottom on your new rings. I'm not suggesting you can't do it, it's just that, I know that I would not be able to keep a flat bottom :)

I don't know how much height needs to be removed from the new rings, but consider using a coarse sandpaper on a flat surface to sand away the height. Just an idea.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the words of caution ! I work with a lot of very mechanical people who also advised me that a dremel may not be the best way to go either - I bit the bullet and ordered some cream colored (plastic) replacements from Long and McQuade on line. (I think the gold metal ones actually looked a little too "garish" on the guitar anyway) So i'll wait for the plastic ones now...

Some people say to install them slowly, tighten the screws over a few days, and they will (slowly) curve nicely into shape...others say nibble away at them with fret-pullers and sand paper to create the curve ----- suggestions on this process? Thanks, Jim

(I've learned ...I think....that the tall rings (1/2" on the backside of the bridge ring) are referred to as 'vintage') The bridge ring that came off my 1971 guitar is only 3/8" tall on the backside.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
I can see why people have trouble with pickup rings, I don't think any two are manufactured the same. Was in L & M the other day looking at an LP Standard and I would say there was close to 1/8" gap between the body and the centre of the pickup rings on this guitar.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
I can see why people have trouble with pickup rings, I don't think any two are manufactured the same. Was in L & M the other day looking at an LP Standard and I would say there was close to 1/8" gap between the body and the centre of the pickup rings on this guitar.

·
Registered
14,948 Posts
It's worse if you have a 70's Ibanez--they are a different size completely--and it's difficult to find the right size--even online--and they get expensive

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well the new cream coloured rings are installed- came in Gibson packages thru Long and McQuade - They fit perfectly- came out of the packages with perfectly flat bottoms, then once you screw them into place they easily bend the 1/8 " or so required. Hey, if I can do it....
I did come up with gold screws to use with the new cream rings (thanks Canadian Tire). Bought this guitar new in Victoria 1971 - it came with black rings and gold covers - I still have the original stuff (pick guard in storage too). This guitar also has the knobs and tuning heads switched over from a 1961 Les Paul which I don't have any more - and a friend back in the 70's made me the cool metal switch knob - i think it's a copy of a Gretsch strap lock knob. He made it at home on his lathe.- charged me 5.00 in 1975.
I have some pictures ....

·
Premium Member
4,564 Posts
I've seen a guy set up a piece of sandpaper with the proper radius on a rubber block and just sand the radius into the bottom.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts