Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is better.......and why.

·
Premium Member
10,951 Posts
SG.

Purely subjective I suppose, but there's better upper fret access, usually lighter in weight, more utilitarian vibe, looks cool...and the best reason...because I said so.

Gladly accepting donations of your unwanted SGs.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...i voted sg, but not because it is necessarily a better guitar, just easier for me to play. i just cannot navigate the chunky neck of a les paul, and i find them really difficult to keep in tune.

-dh

·
Registered
60 Posts
To each his own I think. I prefer Les Pauls and have played them now since I was around 18 years old I only feel comfortable on one at this point. As for why I think it's better I like the beefy growl I get out of them I am a metal player and I find it is the perfect tone for me. I used to play shredder type guitars until I got my first one and find I started to play alot more bluesier and more bendy (more feel).

And I love the baseball bat necks my hand seems to fit perfect.

:food-smiley-004:

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
The SG. The LP may be able to produce that TONE, but I find the SG easier to play. My small hand does not like the heel on an LP. SG feels more comfortable for me, though I don't really have a problem with the LP (except that heel). I guess I could learn to work around heel.

Playability was what was important in my choice.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
words

Lester B. Flat said:
I didn't vote because I don't like the question. I have a Les Paul but I don't have an SG., not because I think a LP is better, I just happen to have one. I'd like to have an SG, too. If you had asked which I prefer and why, I would have voted.
Les, I'm sorry I worded my question the way I did, I'll put it too you this way.
Which is better (or which do you prefer).......and why.

·
Registered
822 Posts
offkey_ said:
Les, I'm sorry I worded my question the way I did, I'll put it too you this way.
I prefer a Les Paul for all the wrong reasons.

1. I've been playing one for 36 years and have only on occasion played an SG. (bias based on ignorance)
2. I think they look better.
3. They are way too heavy.
4. They are way too expensive.
5. They are way too cool.:cool:

·
Registered
126 Posts
ideally i would love to have an SG standard in ebony, or a Supreme in firemist.
but i did vote in favour of the LP.
i got myself a Gibson Vintage mahogany Les Paul last year.
the cool thing is it has Burstbucker pros.
and a big fat neck.
it stays in tune nicely. i happen to have 11's on it right now.

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
offkey_ said:
I may think the LP sounds better, but I prefer to play an SG.

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
Now this is a nice SG. Custom Shop, Brazilian Fretboard. Korina.

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
Coustfan'01 said:
I just wish it had better access to the higher frets ...
It's even harder for players with small hands and short fingers. The SG has wonderful access to the high frets for me,... but I still want BOTH!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts