The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hmmm,good question.Sounds like a great deal but kinda looks like a LP studio.The price seems super low for a LP let alone one that is limited,and a 9.5/10.I would research the serial #.Isnt Jeff the gibson guy around here,i'm sure he can let ya know.
Aaron

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
The 3 pc top looks like a refin. There were lots of 'limited edition' runs, basically a dealer orders a run of something different. Eg, the ebony board on this one.

Email the serial number to Gibson, ask them about the limited edition. They usually get back to you within 24 hours.

Price looks good. I do kinda like that top, gives it the look of a stripped goldtop.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Here's my .02

Lester's are so hit and miss. You have to play them to make sure you aren't getting a dud.

I have a buddy here in Calgary that's thinking of getting rid of his 05' burst Standard. It's got the long neck tenion. Burstbucker Pros. Good weight and has the 59' neck profile. But I'm certain he'll want around $2000 for it. He played allot of lesters to find this particular one, it's a gooder. I can hook you guys up if that dollar figure doesn't scare you away.

Jeff

·
Registered
822 Posts
There was a recent thread on the LPF on one of those gold hardware standards with the 3 piece top. It looks like a great deal but I'd take Jeff's advice and find one you can play first to make sure you can live with it. With a guitar like that, you might be afraid to really dig in and play it because it might have some collector value. If you're looking for a player, that probably isn't the best choice. But if you have GAS..........:D

·
Premium Member
16,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I'm looking for a player, not something to polish and display, but $2K (although probably fair market value) is not going to happen right now.

What strikes me as odd, is how a guitar costing more than $1000. new can be hit and miss in terms of quality and sound.

You should be able to buy one sight unseen, do a set up and away you go.

Like I said, a banged up one would suit me fine as long as it's fully functional.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Milkman said:
Guys,

What strikes me as odd, is how a guitar costing more than $1000. new can be hit and miss in terms of quality and sound.

You should be able to buy one sight unseen, do a set up and away you go.
$5000 guitars can be hit or miss. :eek: You can find dud Historic Gibsons, Custom Shop Fenders and PRSi.

But it's all relative you have to play allot of them to be able to dicern the difference. If you don't you can pickup a PRS or Les Paul and be blown away by an average or less than average guitar and live happily ever after with it. The only exception might be a 10+ lb Les Paul that might get a little tiring around the neck after a while.

·
Premium Member
16,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jeff Flowerday said:
$5000 guitars can be hit or miss. :eek: You can find dud Historic Gibsons, Custom Shop Fenders and PRSi.

But it's all relative you have to play allot of them to be able to dicern the difference. If you don't you can pickup a PRS or Les Paul and be blown away by an average or less than average guitar and live happily ever after with it. The only exception might be a 10+ lb Les Paul that might get a little tiring around the neck after a while.

Well I've owned a couple of LPs over the years and one of them according to the afficionados was made during some not so good years (77). I thought it was a great guitar and I wish I had fought the impulse to trade it.

Since the mid eighties I've basically scorned the high end guitars because I thought and frankly STILL think they're horrendously overpriced. I've frankensteined all of my stage guitars since then. Having said that, there's no excuse for a Gibson Les Paul to be hit and miss. It's a shame.

I may have to take my chances, because I can't see paying $2400. for a Les Paul. It's likely worth it to some people but not to me. I'll keep looking on E-bay and elsewhere.

Thanks again for the feeback.

Oh and weight doesn't bother me.

·
Administrator
16,172 Posts
Here's a quick response from a good friend in the states who knows what he's talking about.

"The 315th Studio that day, made in the Memphis plant in 93....
Those were some of the best studios..."

keep in mind that it's still a studio. I'm not saying that's good or bad, just pointing it out.

·
Premium Member
16,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
davetcan said:
Here's a quick response from a good friend in the states who knows what he's talking about.

"The 315th Studio that day, made in the Memphis plant in 93....
Those were some of the best studios..."

keep in mind that it's still a studio. I'm not saying that's good or bad, just pointing it out.

Well, not to draw you into the crossfire, but what do you perceive the functional differences between a Standard and a Studio to be?

·
Administrator
16,172 Posts
Milkman said:
Well, not to draw you into the crossfire, but what do you perceive the functional differences between a Standard and a Studio to be?
Well in my opinion it could be nothing more than cosmetics :D

The only things that really matter are:

If you pick it up and it speaks to you, buy it. If you plug it in and it still speaks to you, buy it quick. You won't need to mess around with pickups and electronics.

The only reason I pointed out that it was a Studio was to be careful with the price. The $2000 dollar LP that Jeff mentioned will be still be worth $2000 or more a few years from now. You'll get your money back, almost guaranteed. If you pay too much for a Studio and discover you don't like it you might take a bath. The price on the guitar in question doesn't look too bad but if goes much higher think seriously before pulling the trigger.

Of course if GAS has already struck then all of the above is moot. Been there, done that. (a few times) :food-smiley-004:

btw - the place where I got the info on the guitar is now arguing over wether it's the 315th studio that day or the 315th that year :)

edit: just got the final word, he meant 315th day of the year. He was typing his answer from work so had to be pretty quick :)

·
Premium Member
16,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
davetcan said:
Well in my opinion it could be nothing more than cosmetics :D

The only things that really matter are:

If you pick it up and it speaks to you, buy it. If you plug it in and it still speaks to you, buy it quick. You won't need to mess around with pickups and electronics.

The only reason I pointed out that it was a Studio was to be careful with the price. The $2000 dollar LP that Jeff mentioned will be still be worth $2000 or more a few years from now. You'll get your money back, almost guaranteed. If you pay too much for a Studio and discover you don't like it you might take a bath. The price on the guitar in question doesn't look too bad but if goes much higher think seriously before pulling the trigger.

Of course if GAS has already struck then all of the above is moot. Been there, done that. (a few times) :food-smiley-004:

btw - the place where I got the info on the guitar is now arguing over wether it's the 315th studio that day or the 315th that year :)

edit: just got the final word, he meant 315th day of the year. He was typing his answer from work so had to be pretty quick :)

Ah well guitars really don't "speak to me". I'm really unemotional about them. I see them as valued tools, not old friends. I don't mean to sound sarcastic. I just don't get attached to guitars or gear in general.

It's entirely possible that I will buy one on E-bay so trying it out first is not likely. Also, I'll almost certainly replace the pickups anyway.

If the only fucntional differences between the Standard and Studio are the pickups and binding, why is a Standard almost double the price?

There must be more to it.

·
Administrator
16,172 Posts
Milkman said:
If the only functional differences between the Standard and Studio are the pickups and binding, why is a Standard almost double the price?

Functional difference ? It's an electric guitar, you pluck the strings and sound comes out of the amp. I'm sure Gibson would point out the quality of the wood and electronics and maybe even the hardware, tuners etc. But I have to tell you I've picked up some pretty shitty LP's in my time. Also picked up some very good ones. Price does not necessarily enter into the equation. Just my opinion YMMV. :smile:

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
I had a 92 Studio that had the ebony fretboard, and the only thing that made it feel different from my Custom was the lack of binding. I cant speak for all Studios, but the early 90s Studios were great guitars............

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Milkman said:
Ah well guitars really don't "speak to me". I'm really unemotional about them. I see them as valued tools, not old friends. I don't mean to sound sarcastic. I just don't get attached to guitars or gear in general.

It's entirely possible that I will buy one on E-bay so trying it out first is not likely. Also, I'll almost certainly replace the pickups anyway.

If the only fucntional differences between the Standard and Studio are the pickups and binding, why is a Standard almost double the price?

Off the top of my head.

Long neck tenion.
Higher grade wood.
Better pickups.

Not a whole lot besides cosmetics after that.

·
Premium Member
16,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know some of the studio models are all mahogany (no maple top).

I'll likely upgrade the pups anyway, so my main concerns would be a decent neck (most :LPs are pretty good in this respect)

·
Registered
546 Posts
It looks nice. Buy it Mike. If you don't like it you should be able to get your money back pretty easily.

I saw a couple of nice ones on the net. Check Elderley inst.

Or Dave's is good. My brother bought his 59 there and another friend bought a LP jr. heritage from them they both had a happy experience.

What about a trip to TO the 12th fret and the rest of those places have lot's of stuff.

Nothing at Dave's I looked. You want a Black 58 $119,000 I bet you could get it for 112 cash

·
Registered
546 Posts
Glad I could be of service Mike.

I know what it looks like so this dosn't apply for me. Need Pics

Congrats and welcome back to the fold.:food-smiley-004:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts