The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Leonard Gets a New Home

1K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Milkman 
#1 ·
My Goramy outgrew his home and I so was obliged to buy a bigger one. The old tank was nice (65 gallons) but he was to the point where he could barely turn around in it so I moved up to a 125 gallon. I still have to get a proper canopy and lighting assembly. You can see how dark the one end is.

I also have to close in and finish the stand which I built for the tank.

He seems happy.

Leonard's New Home
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuhj1Hfncyc

#3 ·
man that's almost ready for the barby...LOL on the same note: the 3 big goldfish came in from the pond yesterday. seems like have to get a bigger tank every year.
cheers
RIFF
I'm guessing Leonard would tip the scales at around 10 lbs. He's around 18 inches long, around a foot high and more than 3 inches thick.

He would make a tasty fillet I suppose. He eats peas and bananas.:banana:

#5 ·
Cool! Haven't had a fish tank since I was a kid when I had two smallish ones. 125 gallons is huge.

Does Leonard have any finned friends?

Peace, Mooh.
Yeah if you check out the vid you'll see a Leopard Plecko (Leonard's girlfriend Barbara) a feeder goldfish we saved from being food and who has lived far beyond his normal life expectancy, and a little fish which I haven't identified.

We'll add a couple more now that there's space, but not too many.

#8 ·
DAMN, that is huge!! How long have you had him?
We got him just over two years ago and he was about an inch long.

I've had lots of pets over the years but this guy is my favourite by far. He's quite aware and seems to know me from other people (he really reacts to me).

These fish can last decades. The store owner at the local shop had one for 23 years before it...committed suicide.

#11 ·
I'm pretty sure Leonard uses mind control on the cats.

Last night I bought the proper canopies and lighting assemblies. The tank looks much nicer and certainly is lit better.

Imagine having a pet for 25 years. We'll grow old and ugly together.

#12 ·
At least you have the same hairstyle. :smile:

I thought Rock Stars were in it for the Groupies, not the Groupers.

I've never had a pet. I realize that I'm too selfish and lazy to give the pet the life and respect it deserves.

Here's a serious question: Does Leonard respond to music? Seriously, does Bach or Mozart have a calming effect, does Wagner make him swim in formation, does Miles Davis chase him to the dark corner of the tank?

My step-sons dog HATES Nirvana.

I don't know if Leonard enjoys music, but he does watch movies. I put jaws on last night.

He reminds me a bit of a puppy. When I come toward the tank he aproaches the glass and shakes his head back and forth (he doesn't show the same behaviour with other humans). He'll follow me up and down the tank. I suppose it's because I feed him most often, but nevertheless, it demonstrates that he can differentiate between me and other humans.

He'll actually eat directly from my hand and let me stroke his head.

Weird

#13 · (Edited)
One final post from me on this thread...but I have to ask....

Where did the name Leonard come from? The first thing that popped into my head was Spock, but I couldn't relate that to Barbara, unless that's Barbara Eden, and therefore you have an obsession with 60's TeeVee kitsch.
Leonard came from two sources. One, he's named after Lenny Breau, also a colossus in my opinion.

Two, his name is an homage to another Goramy formerly owned by the local tropical fish place who lived to the ripe old age of 23 before committing sepuku.

Barbara is named after Barbara Streisand, only because it delights me to name pets in such a way as to embarrass my kids.

#16 ·
Looks like Leonard is thinking of a little catnip of his own... :)
Nah, he's a vegetarian. He's just protecting his territory. The cat is NO match for him however. Having moved him a couple of times I can tell you that there's way more power in that beast than meets the eye.

The cats actually find the smaller fish much more interesting. They sort of avoid eye contact with the big guy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.