The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
I agree, unless they're exposed like on an EBMM or the new Elite series.

Buried so you have to remove the neck to adjust is dumb, imo.
Hoping that you only have to screw with it once is another issue. :)

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
LOL

I guess when trussrods were a new-fangled thing, the thought of how to make them easily accessible wasn't a priority. "Hell, at least you can adjust it. Quitcher bitchin'."

Leo was a remarkably creative guy. Obviously, anyone who does as many inventive things as he did is bound to make a few mistakes. Vibrato / tremolo anyone?

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL

I guess when trussrods were a new-fangled thing, the thought of how to make them easily accessible wasn't a priority. "Hell, at least you can adjust it. Quitcher bitchin'."

Leo was a remarkably creative guy. Obviously, anyone who does as many inventive things as he did is bound to make a few mistakes. Vibrato / tremolo anyone?
No question, he was brilliant.

So you’re saying that donkeys REALLY like heel-adjust truss rods.
I would imagine they do :D

I agree, unless they're exposed like on an EBMM or the new Elite series.

Buried so you have to remove the neck to adjust is dumb, imo.
Hoping that you only have to screw with it once is another issue. :)
Yeah, having access would be nice. I’m liking this ‘59 Strat so far, but it’s a pain to adjust the neck.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The Gibson truss-rod was patented with adjustment at the headstock.

Leo merely moved the location of adjustment, and it was instantly not an infringement.
Not as practical but as a former tech, I can appreciate how much it keeps people who don't know what they're doing outta there. So, its all about perspective on that one IMO.

·
Premium Member
25,107 Posts
The control plate on a Telecaster was, and remains, brilliant. I can easily think of alternate arrangements of the three elements on it that one player might prefer over another, BUT....

You can take it out/off and work on it without having to restring or engage in complicated procedures. If you've ever tried to work on the electronics of either a Strat or a semi-hollow like a 335, the Tele control plate is an absolute godsend.

·
Registered
57 Posts
...but heel-adjust truss rods suck donkey balls.

That is all.
It's probably common knowledge, but using a capo at the first fret in order to keep the strings in place once fully detuned simplifies the neck removal part quite a bit.

In the following video, Fender R&D guitar development director Chris Fleming shows a simple way to adjust the truss rod: he basically loosen the backplate screws a little and pops the neck backwards with the strings in place and under full tension. I wouldn't try this method myself though.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's probably common knowledge, but using a capo at the first fret in order to keep the strings in place once fully detuned simplifies the neck removal part quite a bit.

In the following video, Fender R&D guitar development director Chris Fleming shows a simple way to adjust the truss rod: he basically loosen the backplate screws a little and pops the neck backwards with the strings in place and under full tension. I wouldn't try this method myself though.

Yeah, the capo thing is the best solution if not changing strings (or if you need subsequent adjustments after the string change).

I don't know if I'd want to pop the neck up like in that video!

·
Registered
42 Posts
LOL

Naw, I love the tremolo on both my Strat and Solidac. Also remember, without the tremolo-equipped Stratocaster, we would NEVER have had mind-blowing solos like this guitar-god can produce:
IMHO, this is the greatest rock guitar solo in history and David Gilmour could never have weaved all the sonic sorcery that he did in career without his tremolo-equipped Stratocaster.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Naw, I love the tremolo on both my Strat and Solidac. Also remember, without the tremolo-equipped Stratocaster, we would NEVER have had mind-blowing solos like this guitar-god can produce:
I wasn't criticizing either of the effects, just the fact that Leo labeled them incorrectly on his equipment.

That 'tremolo' on your guitar is actually a vibrato (changing pitch, not amplitude). The 'vibrato' on his amps is actually a tremolo circuit.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wasn't criticizing either of the effects, just the fact that Leo labeled them incorrectly on his equipment.

That 'tremolo' on your guitar is actually a vibrato (changing pitch, not amplitude). The 'vibrato' on his amps is actually a tremolo circuit.
Ohhh, ok. Now I understand what you were getting at and I totally agree. Thanks for the clarification!

- My problem with being an evil genius is that I'm stoopid!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts