The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have heard of Lenny Breau? My brother is really into his stuff, I find it interesting. Who else is into it? It's to bad he passed away he was a great guitarist.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I've never heard of him, what kind of stuff did he play?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Yeah, Lenny was a monster. He just may have been the best guitar player ever. He could play stuff you would'nt think possible. He used to do this club gig in N.Y.C. and all the famous guitarists would show up to drool. Chet Atkins took him under his wing for a while. I heard an album of stuff he recorded when he was 14 or 15 and it's just amazing. He did'nt have the personality for fame and got messed up on drugs, but guitar players know who he is.
:DevilGuitar:

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
In the 60's he was considered one of the best guitarists in the world. If you can get your hands on any of the old recordings, prepare to be blown away.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i've got his cabin cd. which isn't the best recording but it is still some of the best guitar work i've ever heard. His other cd's are incredibly hard to find.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I'm a huge LB fan. Got to meet him a few times too. He wasn't just the best guitar player I've ever heard, he was the best musician period. And a very sweet guy, despite, or because of his problems. A lot of his stuff is available on the net. I read recently that someone was writing a biography. There is also a fantastic documentary about him that you can get at Randy Bachman's site.
He was very eclectic, started out playing country, moved to jazz with afew stops along the way.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^^my uncle's brother in law once jammed with him, thats where i heard the name from. I never knew he started off playing country. He was from the region though aparently.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Randy Bachman tells in his bibligraphy how he used to go over to Lenny's place (in Winnipeg) and get a lesson. I am guessing but if you ever listen to the guitar solo in BTO's "Looking Out For Number 1"......you can hear some strong jazz infuence there.....presumbably a Breau influence.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think there was a very good (CBC?) documentary about Lenny. It had is daughter and mom in it as well as Uncle Chet (Atkins).

·
Administrator
15,980 Posts
Tybone said:
I think there was a very good (CBC?) documentary about Lenny. It had is daughter and mom in it as well as Uncle Chet (Atkins).
I saw that. Amazing stuff. The guy was definitely a genius. I imagine SRV's "Lenny" was named after him.

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
Lester B. Flat said:
Yeah, Lenny was a monster. He just may have been the best guitar player ever. He could play stuff you would'nt think possible. He used to do this club gig in N.Y.C. and all the famous guitarists would show up to drool. Chet Atkins took him under his wing for a while. I heard an album of stuff he recorded when he was 14 or 15 and it's just amazing. He did'nt have the personality for fame and got messed up on drugs, but guitar players know who he is.
:DevilGuitar:

Geez...I'd say he was THE Monster. Just unbelievable. I saw him once at Bourbon Street in Toronto with Don Thompson. Absolutely jaw dropping and beautiful all at the same time. There is a CD of those shows that week. It was either 78' or 79'. There is also a great live one of him at Shelly's Mann Hole in NYC. I think it's called The Velvet Touch of Lenny Breau. The album he did with Chet Atkins is a lot of fun too. It's called Standard Brands. If you ever get a chance to talk to Randy Bachman about Lenny, he is passionate about just how good he was. I think Randy has had something to do with the Cabin Fever release and maybe a couple of others.

Pete

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
davetcan said:
I saw that. Amazing stuff. The guy was definitely a genius. I imagine SRV's "Lenny" was named after him.
Actually, it was named after his wife, like the song of the same name.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
faracaster said:
Geez...I'd say he was THE Monster. Just unbelievable. I saw him once at Bourbon Street in Toronto with Don Thompson. Absolutely jaw dropping and beautiful all at the same time. There is a CD of those shows that week. It was either 78' or 79'. There is also a great live one of him at Shelly's Mann Hole in NYC. I think it's called The Velvet Touch of Lenny Breau. The album he did with Chet Atkins is a lot of fun too. It's called Standard Brands. If you ever get a chance to talk to Randy Bachman about Lenny, he is passionate about just how good he was. I think Randy has had something to do with the Cabin Fever release and maybe a couple of others.

Pete
Randy founded his label (gUITARCHIVES) specifically to keep Lenny's music alive.

·
Registered
244 Posts
TVO showed that documentary a few times on the Masterworks series.
Very cool. I think they mention that even at a very advanced stage he used to practice like 8-10 hours a day.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Jaggery said:
TVO showed that documentary a few times on the Masterworks series.
Very cool. I think they mention that even at a very advanced stage he used to practice like 8-10 hours a day.
Yeah, when he was ON heroin:D

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
drift_boat said:
Randy Bachman tells in his bibligraphy how he used to go over to Lenny's place (in Winnipeg) and get a lesson. I am guessing but if you ever listen to the guitar solo in BTO's "Looking Out For Number 1"......you can hear some strong jazz infuence there.....presumbably a Breau influence.
I think it was on the Running Back To Saskatoon TV special (is it on DVD, too?) where Bachman talks about how one of the songs was basically put together with jazz "endings" that Bachman pieced together after one of the lessons from Breau. LB showed him a few endings and Bachman took those and the basic principal behind them and made an entire song. When he called LB and told him, Lenny said, in effect, "You can't do that!"

It might be "Looking Out For Number One", now that I thnk about it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts