The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my welding gear from Amazon after being held up by 'inclement weather' and 'rotating stoppages'. Sweet.

I was wondering if you can use the automotive contact cleaner on 'home electronics'. It says you can't on the can, but....you know.

hakko.jpg

Reactions: Blind Dog

·
Premium Member
2,222 Posts
That's a quality product, love the Hakko stuff. I have 2 of them.

I use isopropyl alcohol for hand oils etc as the commercial contact cleaners are covered in explosion warnings and I don't like keeping them in my basement. If there is visible corrosion or oxidation I use Deoxit followed by isopropyl alcohol

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
contact cleaner is contact cleaner.

Reactions: Rozz

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a quality product, love the Hakko stuff. I have 2 of them.
I actually bought it because I got several recommendations from the guys on here. This place is a great resource for a new guy like myself.

I use isopropyl alcohol for hand oils etc as the commercial contact cleaners are covered in explosion warnings and I don't like keeping them in my basement. If there is visible corrosion or oxidation I use Deoxit followed by isopropyl alcohol
Ahhhh...the 'explosion factor'. lol I never really considered that, but thanks for pointing it out and offering up an alternate solution. What do you use to apply the iso?

·
Premium Member
2,222 Posts
I actually bought it because I got several recommendations from the guys on here. This place is a great resource for a new guy like myself.

Ahhhh...the 'explosion factor'. lol I never really considered that, but thanks for pointing it out and offering up an alternate solution. What do you use to apply the iso?
lint free Dacron or cotton Qtips. About 6 inches long. I bought 500 made by a company called "cleanroom" specifically for electronics, they were about 10 or 15 bucks at the electronics store on Merivale, but that was a few years ago. sure amazon probably has them as well

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lint free Dacron or cotton Qtips. About 6 inches long. I bought 500 made by a company called "cleanroom" specifically for electronics, they were about 10 or 15 bucks at the electronics store on Merivale, but that was a few years ago. sure amazon probably has them as well
Awesome thx z-dog. ;-).

@Player99 I had great newbie guitar-tech-wannabe vibe going on, but now I have more of a newbie inmate feeling. ;-)

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
I have the same Hakko, it's a fine unit. I would have bought the slightly older model with analog controls if it was still available. No regrets though!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Finally got my welding gear from Amazon after being held up by 'inclement weather' and 'rotating stoppages'. Sweet.

I was wondering if you can use the automotive contact cleaner on 'home electronics'. It says you can't on the can, but....you know.

View attachment 231614
Hey Rozz, congrat's on the welder (sweet), and your commitment to increasing diy skills.

I'm pretty challenged, mentally & financially, so there's definitely a fwiw thing going on.

For colds, I buy generic, London Drugs, neo citran. It's exactly the same thing, in a different package. And I'm dealing with snot.

For electronics, I buy DeoxIT, and I don't use automotive cleaner. DeoxIT is a little spendy, but I don't think it's a bragging-rights thing. The plastics used in automotive parts is a more robust composite/plastic for the specific environment. Most cleaners are alcohol-based, and DeoxIT is hydrocarbon-based. Alcohol evaporates, and DeoxIT is designed to leave behind a residue 'conditioner' that promotes longer periods between maintenance. Because of its use in aero/medical electronics, it's said to be regulated tighter, and tends to be more up to date, and environmentally friendly. The CAIG DeoxIT propellant, now, is a non-explosive Honeywell Solstice type.

My opinions are based more on audio gear experience. I know some audiophiles swear they can hear ("night & day") the difference between a factory ac cord, and a $14k Valhalla 'upgrade'. I take their advice with a grain of salt--the big blue grains farmers leave out for cows. I can't afford to waste money, or I surely won't have it when it is actually beneficial/efficient/critical.

Ime flippers use automotive grade more often, likely because it's cheaper -- and I suspect because future problems are more frequently somebody else's.

It's my understanding, you don't use DeoxIT for its cleaning properties, so much as you use it to protect plastics/finishes/treatments. If cost is a deciding factor, imo chances are, it's not being used properly. Less chemical, more elbow grease, more time, and more focus, works for me. If you resist the urge to 'bath' your electronics, you'll get a much better result, and cans last forever. I even adhere to the recommendations for different types of DeoxIT for different uses. For circuit boards, and conductive plastics -- I won't use anything but DeoxIT.

I will use DeoxIT on my wife's Hyundai. :cool:

jmo -- no expert.

Reactions: Rozz

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Rozz, congrat's on the welder (sweet), and your commitment to increasing diy skills.
Thanks for taking interest. I am looking forward to screwing things up on my way becoming competent.

I'm pretty challenged, mentally & financially, so there's definitely a fwiw thing going on.
Noted.
For colds, I buy generic, London Drugs, neo citran. It's exactly the same thing, in a different package. And I'm dealing with snot.
Thanks for sharing. lol ;-)

For electronics, I buy DeoxIT, and I don't use automotive cleaner. DeoxIT is a little spendy, but I don't think it's a bragging-rights thing. The plastics used in automotive parts is a more robust composite/plastic for the specific environment. Most cleaners are alcohol-based, and DeoxIT is hydrocarbon-based. Alcohol evaporates, and DeoxIT is designed to leave behind a residue 'conditioner' that promotes longer periods between maintenance. Because of its use in aero/medical electronics, it's said to be regulated tighter, and tends to be more up to date, and environmentally friendly. The CAIG DeoxIT propellant, now, is a non-explosive Honeywell Solstice type.
Thanks for cluing me in, I have never heard of it. But I will check it out online.

My opinions are based more on audio gear experience. I know some audiophiles swear they can hear ("night & day") the difference between a factory ac cord, and a $14k Valhalla 'upgrade'. I take their advice with a grain of salt--the big blue grains farmers leave out for cows. I can't afford to waste money, or I surely won't have it when it is actually beneficial/efficient/critical.

Ime flippers use automotive grade more often, likely because it's cheaper -- and I suspect because future problems are more frequently somebody else's.

It's my understanding, you don't use DeoxIT for its cleaning properties, so much as you use it to protect plastics/finishes/treatments. If cost is a deciding factor, imo chances are, it's not being used properly. Less chemical, more elbow grease, more time, and more focus, works for me. If you resist the urge to 'bath' your electronics, you'll get a much better result, and cans last forever. I even adhere to the recommendations for different types of DeoxIT for different uses. For circuit boards, and conductive plastics -- I won't use anything but DeoxIT.

I will use DeoxIT on my wife's Hyundai. :cool:

jmo -- no expert.
Strong endorsement, thanks again for the input.

Reactions: Blind Dog

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I use cheap MotoMaster contact cleaner on my personal amps and guitar electronics.
LOL, that is exactly what I have. I wouldn't have worried about using it if I hadn't read the warning. Lots of different takes on this. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts