The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I've always liked Neil's acoustic playing very much. His electric guitar playing does nothing for me.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
The Wizard of the Whizzer lol.Thanks for the video @Guncho. Was always a Neil Young fan. Great songwriter. I never considered him a legend of tone, but he is. In his own defined way. I find myself cringing at some of his electric lead work and absolutely loving it in the end for some strange reason. He's got a cool sound.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I love Neil's electric solos. When you hear some shredders solo it sounds like they could be getting a pedicure, be eating a sandwich while watching tv and play the same thing no problem. With Neil it's sounds like he's giving it all he's got every time.
My band played Rockin in the Free World back in the early 90's at a well established Biker bar. I'm no shredder, but I was sure getting some strange looks by the audience when it came to the solo I played. It was just too smooth sounding for a Neil Young tune. Now that I'm older, I appreciate and understand why I got it wrong. Really didn't get it in my early 20's.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
He's living proof that good, cool gear, will not always give good tone. I think his electric guitar sounds like dog poop in a blender.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
He's living proof that good, cool gear, will not always give good tone. I think his electric guitar sounds like dog poop in a blender.
Many people I have heard on forums have said the same things. Mr. Stills commented on his unorthodox playing as not being a "purist". It works with his acoustic playing but in my opinion and it seems yours as well, it doesn't with his electric playing. It's not just the tone, it's the playing.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
well shit, you figure they'd at least put a firebird pup in there?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts