The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to have a bit of fun doing a Relic on a Squire Strat, make an SRV copy... well THR... eBay seller sells custom letters upon request so, my guitar my initial. :D

Dropping a lefty trem into a pre-routed hole for a righty trem... anything need done?

I don't have a lefty trem to check with, and if needs more work than work I'll just get a righty.

I assume I'd have to chisel out the trem-block hole at the back... probably fill and redrill the 6 drill holes...

Anyone try this before?

Any advice? Hoping to avoid unforseen issues like strings lining up, or pickguard not fitting, etc... small PITA stuff. :S

http://www.strat-talk.com/data/attachments/6/6610-b49429458f3b0a8054fd66539bbbbcf5.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
Pretty sure the block is offset, so you would have to make clearance for it.

P

·
0 Posts
You will have to cut away some of the guitar, and fill in some guitar. Possibly fill screw holes with dowel. Then refinish some areas.

See how the slot is offset? You need to reverse the offset, and fill the extra.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, that part I assumed would need done. Photo I linked I think is SRVs guitar, or maybe just a good clone? has it chiseled right and filled left .

I read a lot of posts of people saying they like the reverse but, almost none where someone's done it... kinda one of those 'is it worth it' deals. Plus, lefty trems cheap in gold, harder to find than chrome/nickel. Was on eBay last night... cheap fun project so not blowing $120CAD on a trem to relic... didn't find a lot of Gold that looked reasonable. And all would need the saddles replaced.

Upside is, the job doesn't have to overly clean/neat given when done, I'll be scraping and chipping the bejeebus outta the guitar to make it look the same. :D

Guitar comes with a soft gig bag, small squire amp, $100. Should be fun to play with. Squire I have now is the same model (SE model, 1.75" thick body) and after a proper fret redress and setup, it plays great. Never bonded with it looks wise though.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
I should hook you up with a custom build I just did for someone. They sent me all the info and I made CAD plans which they had confirmed. The drawings for the tremolo route were confusing and they were cut for a left handed guitar. I sent him some of the top and body wood and I think he did the exact opposite thing you are doing to have to do.

Cheers Peter.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah that CAD and CNC stuff... wish I had access to that.

Some of those desktop CNC's are affordable now, but I think only good for engraving. If I could afford one the size of of a guitar body and able to cut 1/8" thick wood/pvc... I'd be all over that. :D

On a side note... GuitarFetish... has lefty bridges in gold with the old style saddles, and gold old style tuners.

Now to learn how to relic gold. Few chemical fume options look interesting. Though makes me shudder to purposely age new parts. :D

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess the next thing is, with the bridge reverse... would the pickguard need modified?

The hole needs changed, but the main section that screws in shouldn't shift much left or right, would it? even though reversed, the first and last saddle should be in the same spot. The metal plate beneath the saddles is about the same space one one side as the other.... minus where the trem arm goes.

P

·
0 Posts
I did this years ago. The first thing I noticed is when palm muting. The trem arm is in the way from resting my palm on the bridge.

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
If you could find a CNC in your budget big enough for a guitar it will cut wood. You have to take smaller/shallower cuts than the big boys is all. Might take you twice as long but it will work

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm never in a rush... if it took 12h to cut, I could care less.

Been looking at this type of thing... not there yet, but, stuff like that's starting to get cheaper and cheaper. Soon something that will cut a guitar will be around that range.

I mostly want one for cutting templates and pickguards though.

P

·
0 Posts
I have a flatbed CNC that takes 5' x 12' pieces up to 1 foot thick. I have not used it for guitars though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts