The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
24,712 Posts
YESSSS!!

I live 5 minutes from Lee Valley HQ, and will be retiring in 8 working days. I expect to be spending more time at Lee Valley. Of particular interest is the water-based finish that will supposedly sub nicely for nitrocellulose. Most, if not all, of the tools can be gotten through Stew-Mac, but liquids will generally not ship across the border, so this is a nice turn of events.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
this is good news...I will definitely get something.
G.

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,852 Posts
JAPARTS (Canadian company on the west coast) sells a good number of tools at a better price than what Lee Valley is listing them for the same products... Maybe give them a shot first.

That's certainly great news though. Makes it easier for people to get into building/repairs!

·
Registered
24,712 Posts
JAPARTS (Canadian company on the west coast) sells a good number of tools at a better price than what Lee Valley is listing them for the same products... Maybe give them a shot first.

That's certainly great news though. Makes it easier for people to get into building/repairs!
Other distributors may sell the same items cheaper, but it's nice to be able to drive over, and see the physical item. Especially if one is dealing with a human who knows their stock, and is informed enough to be able to recommend an acceptable substitute or even something better-suited. After all, the reason why Lee Valley carries so many damn tools is because, when it comes to wood, every job is juuuuusssstttt a little bit different.

I recently picked up the current woodworking catalog, and the thing is the thickness of old school Sears catalogs. Four fifths of what's in there is completely opaque to me, with respect to what it's for. I imagine those who don't work on guitars will experience the same confusion when they hit upon the pages that show those tools and supplies.

having said that, however, if it is a known supply that must be regularly purchased, I'm all for a less costly Canadian supplier.

·
Registered
724 Posts
YESSSS!!

I live 5 minutes from Lee Valley HQ, and will be retiring in 8 working days. I expect to be spending more time at Lee Valley. of particular interest is the water-based finish that will supposedly sub nicely for nitrocellulose. Most, if not all, of the tools can be gotten through Stew-Mac, but liquids will generally not ship across the border, so this is a nice turn of events.
Congrats on the retirement.

I can make LV on my way home from work, and find the water-based lacquer of interest as well. My guitar build has been a trial of patience with rattle cans and having a low VOC taht can be sprayed indoors will hopefully allow me to complete it this fall.

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts

Unless the price difference is huge, I'd still prefer to buy local. Much less of a hassle to return things.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In response to a couple of posts above, one of the big things about comparative shopping for a lot of people will be that they can pick things up from a local LV store & skip the shipping costs, which can be significant on things like radius dishes (or anything from StewMac). Lee Valley always runs free shipping on orders over $40 from time to time as well (although the last one just ended).

Great to hear that Josh is making the dishes for them - I've been thinking about getting some from him but was always sort of hoping to skip shipping fees by one day passing though his 'hood. Hasn't happened yet...

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,852 Posts
It looks like that is the case for nut files, set of 6 for $70 at JAParts or ~ $20 each at LV or $120 to make a set of 6. Are they same quality, probably.
Just remember that JAParts prices are in USD. So, $70 USD is around $85-$90 CAD right now.

There is no question whether or not they are the same quality. They are the exact same product, made by the same company.

·
Registered
724 Posts
@jbealsmusic Trying to cover everything in a short lunch break. I missed the USD part, but still cheaper, just not as much. I saw the Uo-chikyu fret and nut files logo and didn't realize that both are LV and JAParts are Hiroshima files, so indeed they are the exact same thing.

P

·
0 Posts
LV has inventory for acoustic guitars, while JP had tools for both plus more sizes. At least with nut files. I will have to use JP to get the proper tools I need.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts