The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I want to learn the piano as a second instrument. I've been playing guitar for more than 10 years. I don't want to start from scratch on the Piano since I'm pretty sure I'll lose interest. I wish I they we're some techniques on how to translate what I already know onto the keys.

Any tips on how to progress quickly, or any problems you had?
Have you ever taken an online piano course? did it work well?

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
I love listening to piano music (especially Herbie Hancock) and have often thought about trying to learn a few chords and basic scales on the piano. I had a keyboard on loan from a friend, but just never spent the time to focus on learning.

I am considering renting a Roland FP-10 from Long & McQuade during the upcoming cold months specifically to "scratch this itch".

How much music theory do you know?

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
In no way do I consider myself a piano player but I know enough to play some background chords for recording. I use a cheap Akai midi keyboard. If you know a bit of theory and learn where the notes are, piano makes a lot of sense, at least to me. I find it easier to understand scales and chords on a keyboard even if I struggle to actually play them. When I’m working on a new song I sometimes try to play the chords and the melody on a keyboard. When I can visualize where the song is on the keyboard I have a much better comprehension of what I can play on the guitar to go with the song.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love listening to piano music (especially Herbie Hancock) and have often thought about trying to learn a few chords and basic scales on the piano. I had a keyboard on loan from a friend, but just never spent the time to focus on learning.

I am considering renting a Roland FP-10 from Long & McQuade during the upcoming cold months specifically to "scratch this itch".

How much music theory do you know?
I learned by myself on the guitar, never took official courses. I usually play by ear. I know some theory but I wouldn't say I'm an expert.
I guess I will need some help figuring out the chords shapes and voicing on the piano since it's quite different than on the fretboard.

·
Premium Member
15,206 Posts
I usually play by ear.
My musical tastes growing up were mostly 'prog rock'.
ELP, Yes, Kansas, Purple etc. Anything with keyboard.
I bought a Casio Pro in the mid 80's to have fun on.
I let my fingers do the walking and played what sounded correct.

1986 on a Fostex 4 track

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Enough I'll spent youth was similar to mine, I grew up with the same musical interests!

Just not the talent to record something such as this.

I hear you with the arthritis, I do believe that playing guitar helps because it keeps me stretching out my knuckles.

·
Premium Member
20,076 Posts
While taking the jazz program at Mohawk college back in my younger days, I found it necessary to learn some basic keyboarding skills simply to adequately play and understand my homework.

I recommend going back to basics and not so much trying to apply what you have learned on guitar to the piano, but rather changing mental gears completely.

I recommend the same approach for mandolin and bass.

It’s generally easy to spot a guitarist filling in (or noodling on) bass.

The guitarists who sound best on other instruments are those able to make those mental gear changes in my opinion.

I’d go further and recommend you get a basic piano keyboard with weighted and VSPS keys, not a plastic synth keyboard.

You can get a Korg stage piano or similar used for probably less than $500 with 88 keys that feel and react very similar to the real deal.

(lower keyboard)

Musical instrument Electronic instrument Piano Musical keyboard Keyboard

A simple clip with the Korg, straight into the mixer from 10 or 15 years ago.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
I’ve always tinkered on the piano but the past four months or so I’ve been playing mostly only piano as opposed to guitar.

Learn to make basic three notes chords and which fingers to move or add to make it minor/major or add a sixth etc. it’s pretty easy with practice. Know your scales and chords that go with them, and then remember to not obsess over it too much. :)

The hardest part for me is working at the left-hand. Mostly just play so I can sing over top play songs that have funky chords that are annoying to play on the guitar so I don’t worry too much about fancy bass kind I’ll mostly walk it up and down or do a country back and forth for stuff that suits.

My goal has simply been to make it look like I can play to your average Joe on the street.

·
Premium Member
19,057 Posts
Guitar doesnt translate to piano. You'll be starting from scratch playing wise, only you'll know what sounds "good".

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
Guitar doesnt translate to piano. You'll be starting from scratch playing wise, only you'll know what sounds "good".

Good luck.
A piano is just a harp laid sideways and put in a box. Seems easier than guitar in my brief experiences with them.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I was on the verge to take the keyboard, but took guitar lessons.

I guess it would help knowing major/minor scale patterns as well as chord construction rules to play some arpeggios.

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
Great thread!

I am not a "musical person" by nature...i.e., I am almost void of rhythm, harmony and melody. But for some reason, the sound of the piano makes me melt and drift into the ether.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
The piano keyboard is the most direct connection with standard western music .
I was gonna say , never saw a cowboy with a piano over his shoulder ... but it wasn't funny .

reason I never took up piano ... I couldn't throw it over my shoulder and carry it to a camp fire.

the closest I came to a key board was a300 lb woman , 2 blocks over with a hammond organ cranked ... and all she played was the star spangled banner as voodoo music, from 10 AM till 11AM every day . over and over and over .
and not very well , she played by ear ( and sometimes used her face from the sound of it )

if she was playing , I didn't touch anything cause it either broke or wouldn't work.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
My musical tastes growing up were mostly 'prog rock'.
ELP, Yes, Kansas, Purple etc. Anything with keyboard.
I like the part around 2:50 when you were using the B3 tone.

Reactions: laristotle
1 - 20 of 36 Posts