The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Administrator
16,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally ran out of my old stock of lead solder and have noticed a real difference, negatively, after trying to make the switch. Anyone else had a similar experience? Any tips in working with lead free? Anyone gone back to leaded solder?

·
Premium Member
2,222 Posts
Yeah, i went back. That stuff doesn't melt well, takes longer to set up and all the joints looks kind of grey and powdery so I can't tell if I've done a good job.

·
Premium Member
17,616 Posts
I never left.

I ran into it on something I was working on for someone and it was horrible.
There had been so many negative comments about it here in the forum, that I decided to avoid it for as long as possible.

·
Administrator
16,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'll just buy a small desk fan and switch back, I swear to God the fumes always end up hitting me in the face regardless of my position.

·
Administrator
16,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
17,616 Posts
I'm going to try this unless anyone has a better suggestion. or has tried it and found it useless :)

https://www.amazon.ca/Aoyue-Benchtop-Solder-Smoke-Absorber/dp/B001RLZGKK

I think that should work well. However, I have never seen one.

A long time ago, I bought a 115 VAC computer style (~5 inches square) fan at a surplus store.
I attached some some air filtration material to the front of it and wired it up a foot switch. The fan is annoyingly loud to have running all the time.

The biggest problem I have is remembering to turn it on when I'm about to solder.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I've been told the main reason for modern appliances to crap out so quickly is lead free solder. Without the lead it can oxidize and grow little fingers (described to me as stalactites) which then cause shorts on the board. None of our techs use the lead-free shit and generally ridicule it whenever the topic comes up.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts

·
Administrator
16,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did the lead do that to your face?

Save the lead free for plumbing. That's the only thing I'll use it for.
If you get stuck trying to remove something that was soldered with lead-free, use 'chip quik'.

I used one of those for years and it worked just fine.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts