The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought this CD and I am listening to it quite alot. Some very cool songs with great hooks. Even the slow numbers are cool. I think the Ozz-man has still got it. Also heard the CD is getting good press. Some wicked guitar playing on this disc too.

Any opinions out there?

Cheers,

Blair

·
Registered
171 Posts
I thought it was very sub-par. Nothing memorable or interesting, it felt like a bunch of B Sides from Zakk's Black Label Society side project, only with Ozzy on vocals with way to much digital altering done to his voice.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought it was very sub-par. Nothing memorable or interesting, it felt like a bunch of B Sides from Zakk's Black Label Society side project, only with Ozzy on vocals with way to much digital altering done to his voice.
I confess I have not listened to much Black Label Society and don't have any of their CDs. If you had to choose one, which one would you recommend? And if you don't mind tell me what you like about it. Thanks!

Cheers,
Blair

·
Registered
126 Posts
for black label soceity check out mafia its such a wicked cd and the new ozzy stuff isnt too bad but if they wasnt so many effects on his voice can he even really sing anymore? but the guitar rips liek a king though:rockon2:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Of Black Label Society, check out The Blessed Hellride... hands down the best album released by BLS. I learned pretty much every track off that album, lol. Do yourself a favor and check out his old school southern rock band too, Pride and Glory. His best work IMO.

Black Rain... meh... probably one of the worst records he's written if you ask me... couple good tracks (Not Going away and I Don't Wanna Stop are the only ones I listen to and play). But his main riff structure is getting too narrow... always tuned down (whole step, drop C or low E tuned to the key of the song), chords, vibrato on low E, same chords, vibrato on low E with a pinch harmonic. Repeat.

I'm a huge fan of Zakk... own every album he's ever released, even if he was only on 1 track out of 13. Even some unreleased shit... but his "new" riffs seem like they're recycled from his previous work. But the guy goes into the studio and cuts 20 tracks in under 2 weeks... what do you expect? He needs to take his time, lol.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I confess I have not listened to much Black Label Society and don't have any of their CDs. If you had to choose one, which one would you recommend? And if you don't mind tell me what you like about it. Thanks!

Cheers,
Blair
I agree with esp and violation on the albums to check out. Blessed hellride and Mafia are black label societies two best albums in my opinion(im a little more partial to blessed hellride).

It's pretty much just straight up Metal with wanky solos and fast riffs :D . Nothing overly new but Zakk can shred with the best of em. Not my favourite material but it's better than new Ozzy if you ask me

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys! I will definitely check out the suggested CDs. I seem to remember some of the good Pride and Glory tunes...from the early part of the 90s I think?

Have a great weekend!

Cheers,
Blair

·
Registered
126 Posts
i forgot all about Blessed hellride how could i?!?!?!?

and i do agree the pride and glory stuff is pretty wicked...
and i can see where you are comming from violation... about his new riffs being a little narrow... it does kind of sound a little repeaitve but oh well zakk is still a monster when it comes to guitar one of the best!

·
Premium Member
17,014 Posts
i dont care if a guitarist still kicks ass, if his music is getting stale, im not going to keep buying it.

i like 'not gonna stop" or w/e, and the new single isnt as good imo.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I was browsing a local CD shop with a big sale on used inventory this weekend. Was searching to find some BLS or maybe even the Pride & Glory disc.

No such luck, BUT I did manage to snag the Ozzy Live & Loud (remastered) double-disc set for the great sale price of $5! I do enjoy listening to live performances, so this was an excellent find for me.

Cheers,
Blair

1 - 11 of 11 Posts