The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I experienced a sudden longing for the sixties thin-hollow, single-pickup guitar that I bought at Gil's Electric for $125 in my home town long ago. It had one word on it: JAPAN. I loved that thing, but the neck warped and there was no truss rod, so I threw it away.

I was very surprised to see how popular this style of guitar is these days!

I will be getting either the Guild t50 or the Epiphone 1966 Century to quell the GAS produced by this recent nostalgic craving.

Your input please...

·
Premium Member
13,078 Posts
The neck specs are different for each model. The Guild has a 9.5" radius, the epiphone 12" and the Loar 16". I personally don't like anything flatter than 12" The first two have medium jumbo frets. Can't remember what the Loar has. The Guild is the most expensive. MIK. I liked the specs of the Guild. Here is a nice demo.

I looked into these models last year, but ended up getting something else.

Reactions: KapnKrunch

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am leaning towards the Guild mostly because it looks the best: smaller dog ears, classier pickguard, headstock, and finish. Lightest neck sounds good too.

I better try one in real life first. I had the same nostalgic lust for an Epiphone SG re-issue and when I picked it up in a store, it instantly felt like a piece of crap. Thanks for the info robert1950.

Also there is another nice video of a songwriter getting a folkier sound out of it...

Could be just right for low-key, solo gigs.

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really nice! I would have to be able to try it. I remember playing a Framus that a girl had in my wife's band. Didn't like it. Stiff and lifeless. This one sure looks right tho! Lol. That wasn't up earlier, must have just come in. Their prices are good really. Check the T-20 below..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,078 Posts
Really nice! I would have to be able to try it. I remember playing a Framus that a girl had in my wife's band. Didn't like it. Stiff and lifeless. This one sure looks right tho! Lol. That wasn't up earlier, must have just come in. Their prices are good really. Check the T-120 below..
The Gibson 120T was the lowest price model. Melody Maker type pickup with controls and jack on the pickguard. The three models above are more like the Gibson 125T with the P90

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Gibson 120T was the lowest price model. Melody Maker type pickup with controls and jack on the pickguard. The three models above are more like the Gibson 125T with the P90
Yeah. To tell the truth, I prefer the thicker sound of the p90 models. The huge plastic insert on the 120 is cute in a retro kinda way, but not desirable for me. I prefer the Guild pickguard with its art deco edge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts