The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an enquiry to trade for a '79 (black with maple neck, looks sharp) and was just wondering what the resale price range on these is and if they are generally well regarded. I'm a little weary of doing a straight trade and would like a little cash my way. I just blew a guy off with a Beck strat in oly white (it made me happy in my pants) because he didn't want to cough up any dough. He was selling his for 1600 and he saw one on reverb for 1850 so he figured that was his trade value.

Guitar in question is a 2015 LP Deluxe Gold Top. Mini hums with active boost switch. for sale on st catharines kijiji currently.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
I have a '78 Strat. 77-79 are generally regarded to be the worst Strats ever made (CBS), though I like mine. Last I checked, I figured mine was worth about $1500, though that's probably a few years ago now.

Edit: The all black with Maple neck is pretty rare - only ever issued by CBS. That's what mine is. Squier "re-issued" it a few years ago.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
I have a '78 Strat. 77-79 are generally regarded to be the worst Strats ever made (CBS), though I like mine.
I hate the 70's strats and tele's but mainly for the look. Although the 70's Fenders weren't well regarded I'm sure some must have been great players.

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
I hate the 70's strats and tele's but mainly for the look. Although the 70's Fenders weren't well regarded I'm sure some must have been great players.
Mine needs the neck shimmed to be a truly great player and the pick-ups are a bit lacking, but I don't play electric enough to worry about it.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
I had a 79 that was fantastic. Big fat baseball bat neck, tight neck pocket, 7.5lbs. Point is there are some good ones, but that isn't the norm. You need to play it first.

·
Premium Member
'59 LP Junior & Danocaster T
888 Posts
I have a '78 Strat. 77-79 are generally regarded to be the worst Strats ever made (CBS), though I like mine. Last I checked, I figured mine was worth about $1500, though that's probably a few years ago now.

Edit: The all black with Maple neck is pretty rare - only ever issued by CBS. That's what mine is. Squier "re-issued" it a few years ago.
I would not call them rare even slightly. By the late 70s, the only available colours for a Strat were black, white, blonde, mocha, and antigua (not counting the "international colours" line that hit around then). I had a black '80 hardtail (maple neck, black parts) that I couldn't get $1000 for out on the east coast. Ended up trading it for pedals and cash. $1500 to me is an average price and likely too high for most of the CBS era Strats that made it to Canada from the '76-'82 time period.

W.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
I had a '79 in a transparent wine red finish with a rosewood board. Beautiful looking guitar with a great neck but heavy and had crappy tone. Must have tried 3 or 4 different sets of pickups but to no avail.

I bought it for $500.00 in the mid 80s and sold for $1400 in the early 90s. Don't think that they are going for much more than that these days.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info fellas.
I had a feeling that these weren't the most sought after.
I have a '81 Lead ii and while the neck is nice the body is heavy and covered in a super thick finish. high output single coils and super heavy body are not the best combo.
Its been my intention to refinish and put a hotrail in there but it's way down on the list of repairs/mods.

I'll try it out but think I'll pass on this one unless i get some cash my way.

·
Premium Member
'59 LP Junior & Danocaster T
888 Posts
Yeah, definitely don’t take it to flip if you need $xxxx out of it. They’re cool guitars but not highly saleable (unless it’s white or blonde and fairly light; those seem to go quick).

W.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,193 Posts
The beck is probably worth more than the 70s strat to be honest man.... I'm with you though, top up would be needed to make it work.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
I had a '79 Antigua hardtail with maple board for years. I gigged with it but never loved it. I sold it for $2300. Through a music store. It might have been the maple, all my guits are rosewood now. I don't know, I might be a more confident player now as I quite like my current '91 Strat. Mostly I play my Gibsons, they just do it for me.

·
Registered
524 Posts

Now you burst my bubble. Here I was thinking that my 83 two knobber was the worst Strat ever made. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Now you burst my bubble. Here I was thinking that my 83 two knobber was the worst Strat ever made. ;) QUOTE]

I have a 1983 two knobber in Sienna Burst. It sounds awesome and the neck is damn good when it comes to playability. The trem design on this one just doesn’t seem to be workable for me, so it stays locked down, which happens easily with an Allen wrench. I had a custom pick guard made for it so I could easily change pickups, but have not had the heart to alter my all original 1983 Standard Stratocaster. All the wiring on these is on the pick guard, so swaps are easy.

I have a preference for guitars with only two knobs.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Right back at you. I've had this one since the early 80's and even though I prefer humbuckers on my Strats I love the heck out of this one, especially the neck. Like yours, except for the pick guard, mine is all original. I'm not a trem user so mine stays locked down as well.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
@BEACHBUM , I agree that the neck on these are loveable.

I bought mine new on Boxing Day 1984.

I saw a YouTube video, showing how to get that trem to work. I followed the instructions and it was an epic fail for me. I lubed the knife edge and all contact points and saw little improvement over several previous professional attempts and even a new bridge installed by the Fender rep sometime in 1985 or 1986.

Mine is very mint for being gigged with for several years in the mid eighties.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
@NorlinNorm, there is still another Stratocaster missing in the info you posted.

I have an E2 black Stratocaster, blonde neck carve like the vintage reissue, but the new Schaller 2 pin tuners, with a neck date of 1982, October, body November. I would have to pull the neck or search out old pictures from a dead computer to find the date for neck and neck cavity. There is no sign of any other tuner being on this neck. I was just playing that guitar earlier this afternoon. It is just a lovely specimen, with an exceptional feel to the neck, like a Strat from the late ‘50’s. The truss rod is adjusted from the pickgaurd end. The headstock end is nicely plugged and finished from the factory.

I have never found any info on this particular guitar build.

·
Registered
524 Posts
@BEACHBUM , I agree that the neck on these are loveable.

I bought mine new on Boxing Day 1984.

I saw a YouTube video, showing how to get that trem to work. I followed the instructions and it was an epic fail for me. I lubed the knife edge and all contact points and saw little improvement over several previous professional attempts and even a new bridge installed by the Fender rep sometime in 1985 or 1986.

Mine is very mint for being gigged with for several years in the mid eighties.
Lot's of folks point out that the "Free Flyte" trems on these are pretty much a failure. On the other hand I've got two other Strats with standard Fender made trems that are nothing to brag about either. My take on it is that Strat trems in general tend to be a PIA.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts