The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just meet some young players (early 20`s) and we were taking about music , instruments and gear. These guy`s actually told me they play together but use a laptop connected to powered speaker!!! :eek:

No amps for them !:eek:

They told me they have all the pedals downloaded, nothing to buy, can just download new stuff as they need !!! :eek:

Is this the end of amps and pedals !?!? :confused:

Am I just an old B#(*since I don't get this !?!?MJF$#

Are you guys playing on a laptop ?o_O

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
I just meet some young players (early 20`s) and we were taking about music , instruments and gear. These guy`s actually told me they play together but use a laptop connected to powered speaker!!! :eek:

No amps for them !:eek:

They told me they have all the pedals downloaded, nothing to buy, can just download new stuff as they need !!! :eek:

Is this the end of amps and pedals !?!? :confused:

Am I just an old B#(*since I don't get this !?!?MJF$#

Are you guys playing on a laptop ?o_O
Not me, and I'm in my 20s. I'll be playing big, heavy tube amps till the world runs out of tubes.

·
Premium Member
10,950 Posts
Never gigged with a computer and don't plan to.

Besides several other concerns, computer connections suck. Cords, jacks, inputs and outputs aren't roadworthy.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Hell no, not me. But i did see a guy play with one. I was wondering how he was nailing all the guitar solos and sounded just like the record.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't think it's "replacing" amps.. But it definitely serves a purpose.. I don't have several thousand dollars I can spend on fancy pants amps and cabs, and if I did, I live in an apartment and couldn't use them anyway. A couple hundred bucks for an audio interface and some monitors, and a bunch of free amp sims and I have access to virtually any tone I could ever want.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts

Besides several other concerns, computer connections suck. Cords, jacks, inputs and outputs aren't roadworthy.
I did a few times, don't recommend it for what you say about the connectors and because in the stage I need the volume, that's why I hated playing with the Line6 Pod.

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts

Yes and no. I like the convenience, portability and even the sounds from the software on the iPad. But to your point, when I was travelling, the lightning connector from the interface to the iPad bent when I put a bit of pressure on it accidentally. It was useless after that.

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
I have seen solo acts that had a keyboard and a guitar. There also was a computer. They had accompaniment and backup programmed into a pretty impressive act. Talent and tech knowledge can deliver.

Also I have seen it used on cruise ships, where 4 musicians sound like an orchestra, a duo sound like a larger group, etc.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts